PDA

View Full Version : Key Largo: Places to Stay While Diving

JugglingMonkeys
09-08-2007, 22:09
I've read many of these threads and found great places to dive in the Key Largo area and also some good dive operators.

But how about where to stay?

A friend and I are going there in October and taking our wives (non-divers) so it needs to be suitable for them too.

Not too expensive, but not camping.

thanks!

NitroWill
09-08-2007, 22:17
How many people total? What's your ideal price range? Which charter will you be using?

JugglingMonkeys
09-08-2007, 22:28
4 people total. probably 2 rooms.

price: probably around $100/day per couple.

like the looks of Silent World.

or perhaps Captain Hooks.

thanks!

NitroWill
09-08-2007, 22:30
If you're members on SB speargirl has some nice 2 bedroom condos thatd be in your price range..Could send her a message..

Silent World is a good choice :)

JugglingMonkeys
09-09-2007, 06:15
great. will do.
thanks!

BusDiver
09-09-2007, 07:55
speargirls name is becky. She rents condos out of Kwama Yacht Club mile marker 100. They are 2 bedroom condos with a living room and kitchen for $125 a night. They are on the atlantic side with a beach and a lagoon (stocked with parrot fish and fun to snorkel).

I still say use a small six pack as your dive op. HMS Minnow or Pleasure Diver. Worth the extra ten dollars.

JugglingMonkeys
09-09-2007, 12:58
cool.
thanks!

Cheddarchick
09-09-2007, 13:08
Hey guys, Becky's dad passed away recently, be gentle she might not but back to work yet...

divergirl4u
09-09-2007, 14:53
Her prices increased to $165.00 but it is still a great deal Kawama Yacth Club is very nice .... here is her number 305-587-1925
Kim P

NitroWill
09-09-2007, 15:14
That is a great price still - and well within your budget.

Id recommend there - its nice :)

BobArnold8265
09-09-2007, 21:42
I don't know their current rates but Am Slate's Amore Dive Resort was ppretty reasonable a few years back. The rooms are nice, the staff is top notch and the dock is just a few steps from your room.

JugglingMonkeys
09-09-2007, 22:12
I don't know their current rates but Am Slate's Amore Dive Resort was ppretty reasonable a few years back. The rooms are nice, the staff is top notch and the dock is just a few steps from your room.

I checked the reviews on this one and they're quite poor. Mixed at best.

perhaps they've gone downhill over the last years?

Fireplug
12-26-2007, 17:52
We stayed in the condos with Speargirl Becky in Sept. Condo I was in had master bedroom w/king, spare bedroom w/2 full beds and couch in living room that flipped out into I think a queen bed. Nice screened in porch to hang wet gear. Full kitchen. She was very nice and gracious to deal with. I'd totally recommend her condos. We had a large group, 15 or so, and had a great time. We did Doc's Restaurant for breakfast, other side of main road. Cristal Charters for our dive boat. There are two bars that serve lunch, one on either side of Cristal Charters that had decent food/prices. Cristal Charters was within walking distance if you had to. Captain George and Mate Jeremy were great, especially for inexperienced divers. Went to Snappers last night there. Wasn't impressed, especially when they wouldn't split up the check for 24 mostly unrelated diners. Anywho, Have Fun!!! :smiley2:

Kokomo
12-26-2007, 18:37
I can fill you in a little on Amy Slate's. We were there in May. The rooms were nice and you can get bigger "suites" that would hold 2 couples. They weren't cheap but you get your dive package with your room rate. Somewhere else you will have to pay for the room and then additionally for the diving somewhere else. They have the big boat which was not near full for any of the dives and then a six pack for extra money. They had kayacking also which might be nice for non diving people. Our issue with them was that twice they cancelled deeper wreck dives to take out boat loads of snorkelers. We thought this was very wrong since we had booked our dives months in advance. The captain and crew were great though. It was how they ran things in general that was very annoying. We also did some diving with Cristal Clear and they were great!

kancho
12-26-2007, 20:15
Do they have a URL to their estalishments. I would like to see it. I am thinking of going to KeyLargo in Feb for some diving.

sidneydiver
01-07-2008, 17:35
I've stayed at the Drop Anchor a couple of times
Drop Anchor Resort and Marina - Welcome to Islamorada and the Florida Keys (http://www.dropanchorresort.com/)

and Conch Republic Divers are excellent!

BusDiver
01-08-2008, 20:58
We stayed in the condos with Speargirl Becky in Sept. Condo I was in had master bedroom w/king, spare bedroom w/2 full beds and couch in living room that flipped out into I think a queen bed. Nice screened in porch to hang wet gear. Full kitchen. She was very nice and gracious to deal with. I'd totally recommend her condos. We had a large group, 15 or so, and had a great time. We did Doc's Restaurant for breakfast, other side of main road. Cristal Charters for our dive boat. There are two bars that serve lunch, one on either side of Cristal Charters that had decent food/prices. Cristal Charters was within walking distance if you had to. Captain George and Mate Jeremy were great, especially for inexperienced divers. Went to Snappers last night there. Wasn't impressed, especially when they wouldn't split up the check for 24 mostly unrelated diners. Anywho, Have Fun!!! :smiley2:

Glad to hear you enjoyed staying at Speargirl's condos. They are the perfect place if you are going down with more than two people. Did you happen to notice that the sign on the private beach allowed nude bathing? My wife would not let me strip down and scare the locals.

The tiki bar by Cristal charters makes some great boat drinks.