PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored Mask Lens.... Anyone use one ?

MyPC8MyBrain
09-09-2007, 01:46
I'm pondering getting a mirrored mask lens to use while shooting video. I heard somewhere that when the fish don't see your eyes looking at them, they are less likely to turn and run as you cruise by.

I think some spear fishermen use them as well due to that same effect.

Anyone have any experience in this? I haven't seen one listed, although I haven't searched too much yet? Brand/Model if you know it would be helpful.

What about mirrored film into the mask I already like ? I'm ok with a DIY experiment too :smiley2:

Thanks for any input you might have

Aussie
09-09-2007, 02:01
I believe sporasub have a tinted mirror finish style mask. I am also thinking about getting one for the same purpose.

http://www.capebyronimports.com.au/files/sporasub/sporasubmasks.htm

Aussie

ScubaToys Larry
09-09-2007, 07:37
I know the spear fisherman do indeed follow that thought... We've sold a lot of those masks to them. They are also very low profile masks which free divers need. Not to blow a potential sale here (:smiley36:) but if you have an extra mask you like, I bet a good tint guy could lay some reflective window tint in there darn near for free. You can buy that stuff at home depot and do it yourself if you want to try to mess with it... I've done windows... but never a mask, but it's pretty easy to do... spray some windex, put it in, slide around till it's where you want it, cut off excess with razor blade... wait until dry.

Just a DIY thought for you!

MyPC8MyBrain
09-10-2007, 22:47
Do I have to drive to TX to get one, or do you post them in the web store ? :-)

Aussie
09-10-2007, 23:03
Larry I think you might be onto something here. Maybe offering mirror finished masks as an optional extra for a mask purchase.

Might turn into Scubatinting.

Just wonder how long the tint would last.

Aussie

CompuDude
09-11-2007, 00:59
Yup, hunters and spearfishermen use them for that reason.

They say it works.

I say, just don't wear one when you're my buddy. It's important to be able to look your buddy in the eye to make sure everything is ok... especially when it's NOT.

ScubaToys Larry
09-11-2007, 06:25
Do I have to drive to TX to get one, or do you post them in the web store ? :-)

No.. Just give us a shout... We'll check stock and see if we have one... I'm not at the shop now so I don't know for sure... then if we don't we'll order it in and ship it to you the day it arrives. Normally about 3-4 days to get something like that in.

MyPC8MyBrain
09-15-2007, 14:08
It's important to be able to look your buddy in the eye to make sure everything is ok... especially when it's NOT.

Yeah, that was another consideration that I had. I like to be able to see my buddy's eyes. It's a pretty good form of communication underwater. I know if I get a mirrored lens, and it works out for video/photo, she will want me to buy her one too. I'm pretty comfortable, but I like to keep a close eye on the little woman.

I wonder if you could put in reflective film to eye level, then look over the top like i do with my old man glasses when communicating with my buddy. I think I'm gonna get some film and try that out.
[Engage McGuiver Mode]

rtrski
09-15-2007, 14:10
Why am I picturing those gold-mirrored 'shades' the astronauts can lower over their helmet faceplates, or leave up if they want transparency to make eye contact? Now if I could only get that in a double-dome assembly for my HydroOptix mask...! ;)

quasimoto
09-18-2007, 11:49
I could see an aggressive fish hitting your mask because it sees "another fish".
Let us know how the tinting project works out. I am betting that it will come loose every time that you rinse.

MyPC8MyBrain
09-21-2007, 11:47
I'm going to the the tint shop this weekend to get some scrap.
If i take the lenses out of the frame to apply the tint, the lens seal should hold the edges in place for rinsing. We'll know by Sunday afternoon :smiley23:

crpntr133
09-21-2007, 13:45
That is assuming that you are suppose to be able to take the lense out. Some of the new ones you can but some I don't think I would want to.

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 04:19
This is great, I am going to try and tint my own straight away.