PDA

View Full Version : Replacing battery inside a wireless diving transmitter

braamvds
07-05-2010, 12:37
My battery died in my Uwatec Air Z Nitox wireless pressure transmitter. I would like to replace it myself. When I opened it, some sort of oil came out. I guess this is to keep water from coming in and to keep a postive presure under water. Do anyone know what type of oil this is? Do I have to put the oil back when I close the transmitter with the new battery?:smiley5:

vegas911diver
07-05-2010, 13:18
Hmmm. Never heard of this!

navyhmc
07-05-2010, 14:06
From what I can recall, UWATEC's gear is "send it to us to replcae the battery" and I sort of recall someone having that same comment. It is possible that there was a little oil in there but darned if I know anyhting about it. I would go out on a limb and guess that it MIGHT be mineral oil as it's nonconducting and has all the virtually incompressible properties of water for pressure resistence....but that's a huge guess on my part. I would suggest possible contacing UWATEC about it.

ETA: I just looked at their website, I'm assuming that you have the UWATEC Smart Z? The transmiiter battery replacement doesn't have anything about oil in it, might be a good time to contact UWTEC

Tassie Diver
07-05-2010, 15:30
One thing I've learned about electronics... once the smoke gets out, you can't put it back in. Don't know about oil though!

navyhmc
07-05-2010, 15:33
One thing I've learned about electronics... once the smoke gets out, you can't put it back in. Don't know about oil though!

:smiley36: Ah, the old magic smoke!

DevilDiver
07-05-2010, 16:34
Did the old battery look damaged or is it possible there could have been a leak?

Either way it will properly need to go back to be serviced. Never heard of oil being used........