PDA

View Full Version : scuba scooters

Kidder
09-09-2007, 11:37
My parents recently bought a seadoo scooter for playing in the water. I am considering taking it diving. Has anyone used one before? What did you think?

woody
09-09-2007, 13:22
Depends on which model they got. Some are only rated to 15 or 30 feet while others go as deep as 100 feet. You will have to check the spec sheet from the one you got to be sure. Other than that have fun! They are a kick!

Kidder
09-09-2007, 22:05
I'm pretty sure its rated to 100ft. I am just imagining buzzing around the lake.

Do you think it would be powerful enough to pull my dive buddy and I if he holds on to my legs?

woody
09-10-2007, 04:28
it will do it. but we are not talking about some blinding speed. may be a little faster than swimming. You could each grab a handle and ride or your buddy could ride on your tank valve too.

Kidder
09-10-2007, 21:04
Thats cool. It will probably save on air. Less exertion will probably lead to a longer air supply.

danielh03
09-11-2007, 02:58
Keep in mind the limited battery life of those. If your pulling two people, the battery will last less that half of what it should. It would suck to have to swim with that all the way back to the boat/shore without any power!

Kidder
09-11-2007, 07:08
Yup that might equal trouble if we get too far out, it will mean a long surface swim back

FyVe
09-12-2007, 00:24
those things are pretty fun... i tried one of the lame ones that go like 2mph and it was still fun. imagine the supercharged ones that go a whopping 4mph... that's fast!

meesier42
09-12-2007, 19:40
I keep seeing those things with people doing a bunch of fun stuff, but all the while, I guess I really kind of like the slow parts of diving.

Kidder
09-12-2007, 20:01
Hey I'm all about the laid back dives just kicking along as well. But then again speed is awfully fun if you can do it safely. besides its another one of those SCUBA TOYS

coralcrazed
09-14-2007, 23:53
Ive see those things but never had the pleasure of using one of those.

does anyone know how you check your depth since you have to hold on with both hands...? or do these units come with a depth guage? always wondered about them.

Capt Hook
09-15-2007, 08:28
I suppose an easy way to check your depth guage would be to just stop.

Kidder
09-15-2007, 09:38
Yup stop and smell the roses. Set your computer to have an alarm at a certain depth would be good to. They don't have a depth gauge, but it wouldn't be a bad idea for seadoo.

coralcrazed
09-15-2007, 10:06
I'm really surprised at the answers... I always thought that those things must have a depth guage to keep the divers profile constant. I never used one but I would think that its impossible not to bobbleup and down without realizing it at least a few feet anyway and ifyou are using them at depth than you nver really know. having an audible alarm is good but a depth gauge in front of you I think is better. AND as a safety measure they should cut power if you mistakingly go up or down too quickly. Just my .02.

Kidder
09-15-2007, 10:12
I'm really surprised at the answers... I always thought that those things must have a depth guage to keep the divers profile constant. I never used one but I would think that its impossible not to bobbleup and down without realizing it at least a few feet anyway and ifyou are using them at depth than you nver really know. having an audible alarm is good but a depth gauge in front of you I think is better. AND as a safety measure they should cut power if you mistakingly go up or down too quickly. Just my .02.

I do think that you are on to something. It would be very easy to get your self messed up fast if you asend to quickly. Maybe I'll buy and extra depth gauge and figure out a way to attach it.

ianr33
09-15-2007, 16:39
If ya put your depth gauge on your wrist then you dont have to stop to look at it ....................

TxScubaBear
09-15-2007, 17:11
True, when my dive buddy during AOW last weekend tried them out, he put his spg next to the handle so he could monitor it ( I was the tag along on the tank valve..), with those things it's easy to ascend/descend rather quickly and suddenly!

CompuDude
09-16-2007, 13:19
Best to have a computer or depth gauge on your wrist using one of those. You can get into trouble really fast. Also need to be very careful of ascent speed with those...it's really really easy to ascend a LOT faster than the safe 30' per min rate.

Be VERY aware of battery life, and never take it so far you can't swim it back. It's no fun at all. If you plan carefully, however, they can be absurd amounts of fun.

I will be saving my money for one of the more substantial units, however, and avoiding the cheaper models. That's the only way to avoid most of the issues with power and battery life. (An X-Scooter will pull two divers no problem, and has a battery runtime of 4 hours or so)

Kidder
09-16-2007, 21:01
Best to have a computer or depth gauge on your wrist using one of those. You can get into trouble really fast. Also need to be very careful of ascent speed with those...it's really really easy to ascend a LOT faster than the safe 30' per min rate.

Be VERY aware of battery life, and never take it so far you can't swim it back. It's no fun at all. If you plan carefully, however, they can be absurd amounts of fun.

I will be saving my money for one of the more substantial units, however, and avoiding the cheaper models. That's the only way to avoid most of the issues with power and battery life. (An X-Scooter will pull two divers no problem, and has a battery runtime of 4 hours or so)

X-scooter sounds cool. I always wondered about how long the batteries would last. Right now I'll just have my fun with the seadoo scooters.

coralcrazed
09-16-2007, 22:59
I still think that there should be a kill switch on those... if you decend or asent to quickly it stops. What about an alarm... that would be good too. toys toys and more toys.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 10:20
I have the seadoo vs supercharged. I've taken it to Bonaire and Hawaii before. I like it a lot. Well worth it IMO. If it broke tomorrow I'd buy another.

My brother went cheap and bought a chinese knockoff on ebay. Big mistake. What a POS.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 10:21
I still think that there should be a kill switch on those... if you decend or asent to quickly it stops. What about an alarm... that would be good too. toys toys and more toys.

You don't need that. I have my Suunto Gecko bungied to the scooter's handle, so I can see my depth all the time. That's the way to do it.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 10:22
I'm pretty sure its rated to 100ft. I am just imagining buzzing around the lake.

Do you think it would be powerful enough to pull my dive buddy and I if he holds on to my legs?

Yes... I've done this many times. It does slow you down, but you're still moving at about the same speed as you can swim.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 10:24
Keep in mind the limited battery life of those. If your pulling two people, the battery will last less that half of what it should. It would suck to have to swim with that all the way back to the boat/shore without any power!

Another myth. Sometimes I carry mine and don't even use it much on a particular dive. It's clipped to my BC so I'm just towing it. It doesn't add much drag at all.

skdvr
09-18-2007, 12:45
Here is a review of the Seadoo

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/seadoo.htm

Phil

ccarter
09-18-2007, 14:08

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/seadoo.htm (http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Elpt/seadoo.htm)

Phil

That's a great write-up.. very informative. I like the gauge mounting also! :smiley20:

Kidder
09-18-2007, 22:03

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/seadoo.htm

Phil

Wow that was an awesome write up that guy looks like he tested that thing big time and even made his own modifications. A very impressive read.