PDA

View Full Version : I like divers because...

scubastud
07-15-2010, 07:12
I have a brother that went to school in Grenada (yes, he was one of the medical students there when US stopped the Cubans). I have a sister that retired with her husband and lives in Domenica.

I like divers because when I mention these two island countries , they know what I am talking about.

Divers do not "correct" me, telling me it is prounounced Gran-ahh-da.

Divers do not tell me "Oh you mean Dominican Republic".

:smiley20:

navyhmc
07-15-2010, 08:07
That and we ask: How's the diving there? or Wish I could go there!

Diver Kat
07-15-2010, 08:36
I like divers because ....... when I first started to dive and was very nervous about being a newbie (and thinking I was too old to learn!), I found it was one of the few sports where you weren't shunned for not knowing stuff, or being the newbie. Other divers were always so helpful, so willing to share knowledge, and so friendly. It's more like a world-wide family ... we may squabble a bit, but we'll stick up for each just like siblings!:smiley36:

navyhmc
07-15-2010, 08:41
That is so true Kat. I know I will go out of my way to help a new diver-or just diver in general. Case in point: Last weekend, group of deep diver students were getting ready to do a deep dive and one of the divers realized he forgot his light up on top of the hill. We had just finished a dive, I had my light so it was a no-brainer to let him use my light. Later he said he couldn't believe that a perfect stranger would loan him a light just like that. "We're divers, it 's what we do"

I've loaned a tank to a diver who was planning to join some friends but didn't have a tank-no problem, put an insert into my din valve and here you go-just return it filled if you would. I've also helped carry gear up the hill, etc. We're divers, it's what we do!

DivingCRNA
07-15-2010, 08:57
I have loaned out my expensive Green Force light to a practical stranger because she wanted to try it out and I was not wanting to go on the night dive. I also freely give out the O-Rings out of my kit when someone blows one. I have no idea how many times I have stood at the top, on the edge at Oronogo showing newbs where to dive to see things and have a good dive, and showing them where not to go because of the danger.

BTW-Thanks for letting Jim use your tank, Navy!

SEMO Scuba
07-15-2010, 13:18
I like divers because....

No matter how much we differ on political, social, or economic issues, we have something great in common. Diving!

Bigg_Budd
07-15-2010, 17:58
i like some divers.

Aquatrax
07-15-2010, 19:02
I like divers because the voices in my head tell me to

navyhmc
07-16-2010, 00:22
I like all divers...until an individual diver gives me reason not to....Then, I like the rest of the divers.

TwistedSister209
07-16-2010, 20:09
I like divers because ....... when I first started to dive and was very nervous about being a newbie (and thinking I was too old to learn!), I found it was one of the few sports where you weren't shunned for not knowing stuff, or being the newbie. Other divers were always so helpful, so willing to share knowledge, and so friendly. It's more like a world-wide family ... we may squabble a bit, but we'll stick up for each just like siblings!:smiley36:

+1 Kat!
I'm learning more here reading posts, asking questions (Thanks, Navy!) and networking than I have in the two years of class course work.
Acceptance is wonderful.:smiley31: I've been helped by veteran divers, and I plan to return the favor! :smiley20:

scubajane
07-17-2010, 17:37
no diver has ever told me I was stupid for not knowing something or for asking a stupid question.

I was diving in Hawaii and mismanaged my air. I came up with 100 psi. i was scared but I did not blow off my safety stop to get to the surface I made sure I took very slow breaths. on board I blabbered on about only having 100 psi. (nerves, you know) the Dm told me multiple times that it was OKl he finially took my hand and smacked it and said "there do you feel better now?" he also reminded me that I was ON the boat with 100 PSI. great lesson.

navyhmc
07-17-2010, 20:02
That is a good point scubajane...you were ON the boat. I never worry about the dive who has one or two low air issues...I worry about the one that has them all the time. So, I still like divers!

scubajane
07-18-2010, 12:17
I am not fond of that floaty anxious feeling that I get at about 600 psi

loadcp
07-18-2010, 18:55
I like divers bacause...divers are generally pretty good people. We were diving yesterday on Lake Ouachita and right before we went into the water a boat pulled up (after hollaring to ask if we had anybody in the water) and explained that one of them had lost their anchor in about 60 ft of water and they needed a light cause it was so dark. I didnt have one...but my buddy sent his with them. No questions asked (except "Do you guys need a hand?"). When we finished it was in the boat waiting for us.

FFDiver
07-20-2010, 18:06
I like divers because we share the desire to explore a part of the world that some would never dare enter. The good thing about divers is the 99.9 are good which is great compared to society as a whole. I like everyone until they give me a reason to change my opinion.