PDA

View Full Version : what to do about ear pain

bigman241
07-15-2010, 22:09
Well I have been worried about a ear infection since we started snorkeling and diving locally. I tend to get one two or heck a bunch each year.

I noticed a few days ago my right ear was hurting alittle and with the florida trip less then 3 weeks out it has me worried. Today my left ear started hurting the same. They do not hurt alot just alittle sore. Not sure if it is a ear infection or just some inflammation so before I run to the doctor I thought I would ask. Is there anything at home I can do to help. I did not want to run out and use the qtips and peroxide as a Er doc told me once they are the worst thing for ears. I had cleaned mine with peroxide coated qtips and got a double ear infection when I was 15.

It is not to the place I feel the need to go to the doctor but I do not want it to get to that point either. We had planned a dive this sat but thinking it is a bad idea and will only make things worst.

SlvrDragon50
07-15-2010, 22:15
Just go to the doctor. Better safe than sorry.

gNats
07-15-2010, 22:18
Somebody post the recipe for ear brew. I don't need to use it so I don't have the formula. Bigman, I believe a lot of peeps use this regularly to AVOID ear issues.

brojack17
07-15-2010, 22:25
I did half hydrogen peroxide and half rubbing alcohol. No problems since I started using it.

crgjpg
07-15-2010, 22:26
With the dive trip so close, I would go see a doctor in case it is an infection. That way, you can get it taken care of before it gets bad and possibley ruin your trip. For the "ear beer", I use 1 part white vinager to 1 part rubbing alcohol.

bigman241
07-15-2010, 22:41
guess I will give them a call tomorrow better safe then sorry. Besides the insurance paying a bill is better then me calling a trip like that. WIth winter rolling around not to long after it will likely be the last or very close to the last dive of the year. Though dad seems to want to do a coz trip later this fall.

vegas911diver
07-15-2010, 22:47
Pre-dive, some of our divers will use a drop or 2 of baby oil.

scubajane
07-16-2010, 17:19
I use half cider vinegar and half isopropyl alcohol. I put it in my ears after every day of diving. great preventative!!