PDA

View Full Version : my first tank!

chewyjr15
09-09-2007, 15:32
Wensday im going to pick up a catalina al 80 that i found on craigslist for 55 bucks, it needs hydro but still a good price.

finflippers
09-09-2007, 15:36
Good luck on the tank. It can be a good price if it passes the hydro. When was the tank made?

chewyjr15
09-09-2007, 15:49
in 1996

finflippers
09-09-2007, 15:55
in 1996

That is good. Good luck on the tank.

Capt Hook
09-09-2007, 17:56
Great price on a tank.

ScaredSilly
09-11-2007, 12:28
Catalina Cylinders are nice cylinders no matter their age. No worries about the pesky eddy current testing as they have always been made of 6061. If you have not already done so make the condition of sale based on the cylinder passing both the hydro and the visual. Otherwise you will have spent $55 on a large door stop.

Bring the Payne
09-11-2007, 22:33
Congrats on your tank. I just picked up two new Catalina 80s from my LDS. $120 each plus 10 free air fills per tank. (one of the tanks is nitrox-ready). It's a nice feeling getting your own tank isn't it!?!

downunder
09-12-2007, 04:59
Congrats on your tank. I just picked up two new Catalina 80s from my LDS. $120 each plus 10 free air fills per tank. (one of the tanks is nitrox-ready). It's a nice feeling getting your own tank isn't it!?!

If they are both new, how is it that one is Nitrox ready and the other one is not???? That price seems extrememly low... expecially with 10 free air fills!

Bring the Payne
09-12-2007, 08:19

If they are both new, how is it that one is Nitrox ready and the other one is not???? That price seems extrememly low... expecially with 10 free air fills!

I really couldnt tell you why one is EAN ready and the other isnt. I asked the LDS when I bought my second tank this weekend and he said it has a better valve and something about being O2 clean. Im pretty new to all of this and I dont really recall exactly what he said. The LDS I use has some amazing prices. I bought a Mares Dragon airtrim BC, Mares Abyss reg. (the new one), Dacor Viper octo and Mares 3x1 console..all brand new for 713 plus tax!! Its located in Salesville, AR.

BSea
09-12-2007, 08:29
The LDS I use has some amazing prices. I bought a Mares Dragon airtrim BC, Mares Abyss reg. (the new one), Dacor Viper octo and Mares 3x1 console..all brand new for 713 plus tax!! Its located in Salesville, AR.Wow, that a long way from Springfield. Those air fills are going to cost at least $20 in gas. But if you're diving Norfolk, I guess it all works out.

mwhities
09-12-2007, 08:34
I really couldnt tell you why one is EAN ready and the other isnt. I asked the LDS when I bought my second tank this weekend and he said it has a better valve and something about being O2 clean. Im pretty new to all of this and I dont really recall exactly what he said. The LDS I use has some amazing prices. I bought a Mares Dragon airtrim BC, Mares Abyss reg. (the new one), Dacor Viper octo and Mares 3x1 console..all brand new for 713 plus tax!! Its located in Salesville, AR.

Are you nitrox certified? Was there a nitrox mix in the tank or just air? If there is EANx in it, your LDS shouldn't have sold you that tank. That tells me they are out only for themselves, not worried about the well being of the customer.

Michael

BSea
09-12-2007, 08:42

Are you nitrox certified? Was there a nitrox mix in the tank or just air? If there is EANx in it, your LDS shouldn't have sold you that tank. That tells me they are out only for themselves, not worried about the well being of the customer.

Michael
I think you might be over-reacting. He said it was Nitrox-Ready. Not that it had been O2 cleaned, and marked with a Nitrox Sticker. My last 3 tanks have been Nirox Ready from the manufacturer. Just like a nitrox ready regulator. He also said he got 10 free air fills. Nothing about nitrox fills.

BSea
09-12-2007, 08:52
Here's a link to Catalina's info on scuba tanks. http://www.catalinacylinders.com/oxycomp.html

It shows that all of their tanks after a certain date are O2 cleaned & ready for nitrox. Here's a quote from their page.

As of June 2006 all 3000psi service pressure, or less, Catalina Cylinders SCUBA cylinders, as-manufactured, have been specifically cleaned for oxygen service and therefore can be charged with oxygen enriched air immediately after purchase.

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 08:59
Im from Arkansas and can't seem to remember going through Salesville but I am sure I have...where exactly is it? I may want to visit them for a tank or 2....

mwhities
09-12-2007, 08:59
I understand that, I'm simply asking if it did have nitrox in it. Can one not be concerned for another?

Michael

BSea
09-12-2007, 09:07
Im from Arkansas and can't seem to remember going through Salesville but I am sure I have...where exactly is it? I may want to visit them for a tank or 2....
From Mountain Home take highway 5 south toward the dam. At least that what it shows on google earth.

BSea
09-12-2007, 09:19
I understand that, I'm simply asking if it did have nitrox in it. Can one not be concerned for another?

Michael
I'm not saying that you weren't concerned about someone else. If it came across that way I apologize.

Michael
It just seems to me that you're saying the shop might have done something wrong, even though I didn't find anything the original poster said that even implied the shop sold him a tank filled with nitrox. I just didn't want a shop to get a bad name for no reason. And again, if I read something into your post that wasn't intended, I apologize.

mwhities
09-12-2007, 09:22
It just seems to me that you're saying the shop might have done something wrong even though there I didn't find anything the original poster said that even implied the shop sold him a tank filled with nitrox. I just didn't want a shop to get a bad name for no reason. And again, if I read something into your post that wasn't intended, I apologize.

I wasn't trying to bad mouth the LDS, I was just stating that if there was nitrox in the tank, that the LDS is more worried about themselves than the customer. I don't want the poster to get to 130' and tox out. :)

No harm no foul. (I'm still asleep, Tanner has kept daddy up all night the last two nights... forgive me if I post wrongly., :P)

Michael

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 09:36
From Mountain Home take highway 5 south toward the dam. At least that what it shows on google earth.
Thanks! I will have to check it out on Google Earth..that is too cool isn't it? I am upgrading mine for better imaging..

BSea
09-12-2007, 09:38
Thanks! I will have to check it out on Google Earth..that is too cool isn't it? I am upgrading mine for better imaging..
It is cool. Till I looked this up, I didn't know Mt. Home had a bypass around it. Boy, you don't go to a place for 20 years, and they change everything.

mwhities
09-12-2007, 09:41
Bring the Payne,

Sorry about my post. I hope I didn't scare you. I'm still half asleep and I didn't read your post the way I should've. I see it's O2 "ready", not O2 "filled". I apologize.

I do recommend that you get your Nitrox certification.... you'll love it. ;)

Michael

cummings66
09-12-2007, 10:58
It's amazing what a spot of sleep can do. I find I start doing odd things when I get overly tired or dehydrated.

I think he got a great deal, I wonder if that shop has any steel tanks for similar pricing?

mwhities
09-12-2007, 11:28
No doubt.

I'm still looking for a few HP130s. :)

Michael

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 11:30
It's amazing what a spot of sleep can do. I find I start doing odd things when I get overly tired or dehydrated.

I think he got a great deal, I wonder if that shop has any steel tanks for similar pricing?
Going there this weekend...will let you know....

mwhities
09-12-2007, 11:30

Me too!?!?

Michael

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 11:44

Me too!?!?

MichaelMaybe we can meet up......there are 4-5 of us that dive together and we are always looking for new diver friends...what day are you going?

mwhities
09-12-2007, 11:52
Maybe we can meet up......there are 4-5 of us that dive together and we are always looking for new diver friends...what day are you going?

Sorry, I meant will you check tanks for me too? ;)

Michael

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 11:58
[quote=Charlotte Smith;50446]Maybe we can meet up......there are 4-5 of us that dive together and we are always looking for new diver friends...what day are you going?

Sorry, I meant will you check tanks for me too? ;)

Michael[/quote
Sure will and I will post Sunday evening on what we find...if there is any good buys on steel we will at least get 2 maybe 4....but I will definitely let you know...I just called one of my friends and he says he knows exactly where it is.

Bring the Payne
09-12-2007, 18:57
Hey, don't worry, I wasn't scared! I did talk to them about getting nitrox certified....he said it was some class time and I think 2 dives but I didnt ask when or how much. As for the steel tanks, I don't think they have any there but Im sure they could get them for a good price. If you do check out the tanks you might ask why there is no price difference between the EAN ready tanks and the normal tanks.

I considered going down there this weekend but I don't think my buddy can make it (he has a dive boat at Jordan Marina). And so there is no confusion the shop Im talking about is A Scuba'AH...formerly Auster's.

Bring the Payne
09-12-2007, 19:03
It is cool. Till I looked this up, I didn't know Mt. Home had a bypass around it. Boy, you don't go to a place for 20 years, and they change everything.

Take Hwy 5 north towards the damn and turn left on Hwy 177 by the "Y Store". You will see it on the left about 2 miles later. And regarding the Nitrox...it was definately not filled with it....just ready for it. Sorry for the confusion.

Deron

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 21:25
Hey, don't worry, I wasn't scared! I did talk to them about getting nitrox certified....he said it was some class time and I think 2 dives but I didnt ask when or how much. As for the steel tanks, I don't think they have any there but Im sure they could get them for a good price. If you do check out the tanks you might ask why there is no price difference between the EAN ready tanks and the normal tanks.

I considered going down there this weekend but I don't think my buddy can make it (he has a dive boat at Jordan Marina). And so there is no confusion the shop Im talking about is A Scuba'AH...formerly Auster's.
Thanks for the info...think I'll call first to see what they have and then go check it out.....