PDA

View Full Version : Air Hogs

scubastud
07-17-2010, 10:24
This is kinda for the newer divers.
I have been noticing quite a few threads regarding air consumption, I am going to guess I'll bet 90 percent (of men anyway) were not happy with air consumption when starting out (including me). Don't be discouraged, you are not alone, Don't let it bug you (like it did me.. an ego thing I guess)

For me, it would be on my mind constantly while in the water, I think this made it worse not better. I was getting rather discouraged, never had to cut a planned dive short, but dang I hated being that guy.. ya know.

I was pleasantly suprised when I got my weight right and distrubited properly trimmed up and mastered bouyancy control. Holy cow did that improve my air consumption!

It really seems to be a few little things, an adjustment here and there. Don't say you are trying to better your air use, look at it as working on bouyancy and finning. The better SAC rate will follow believe me!
:smiley20:

Travelnsj
07-17-2010, 11:19
I don't know about that....I'm an air hog...gotten a bit better over the years but still nowhere near where I wanna be....pretty much ever where I go....always make sure they have those 100's:smiley20:

Chilly
07-17-2010, 12:54
This is kinda for the newer divers.
I have been noticing quite a few threads regarding air consumption, I am going to guess I'll bet 90 percent (of men anyway) were not happy with air consumption when starting out (including me). Don't be discouraged, you are not alone, Don't let it bug you (like it did me.. an ego thing I guess)

For me, it would be on my mind constantly while in the water, I think this made it worse not better. I was getting rather discouraged, never had to cut a planned dive short, but dang I hated being that guy.. ya know.

I was pleasantly suprised when I got my weight right and distrubited properly trimmed up and mastered bouyancy control. Holy cow did that improve my air consumption!

It really seems to be a few little things, an adjustment here and there. Don't say you are trying to better your air use, look at it as working on bouyancy and finning. The better SAC rate will follow believe me!
:smiley20:

Absolutely physiologically valid. RMV rates are directly proportional to your workload. Anything you can do to decrease your workload - efficient trim to minimize drag, bouyancy skills to minimize effort to manage depth - will decrease your RMV.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab126/respejo15/RMVChart.png

I would like to emphasize to never hesitate to be "that guy" who knocks-off the dive. It's better than being "that guy" who ends up being a diving mishap statistic.

oddbod
07-17-2010, 23:47
Thanks Chilly
So according to the graph, the best way to decrease air consumption is to SLOW DOWN, can't wait to show some of my buddies this:smiley20:

Tassie Diver
07-18-2010, 01:49
The easiest way to avoid being the diver who calls the dive because of low gas supplies, is to start with more! Check out big tanks: large volume and high pressure. If everyone else is diving with 88ft3 tanks, dive with 100ft3.

I'm now looking at twin 15L/125ft3 tanks :smilie39:

Air:smiley30: and proud!!!

oddbod
07-18-2010, 02:30
The easiest way to avoid being the diver who calls the dive because of low gas supplies, is to start with more! Check out big tanks: large volume and high pressure. If everyone else is diving with 88ft3 tanks, dive with 100ft3.

I'm now looking at twin 15L/125ft3 tanks :smilie39:

Air:smiley30: and proud!!!
Do they come with free forklift? :eek2:

Tassie Diver
07-18-2010, 02:54
Do they come with free forklift? :eek2::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smiley2::smil ey2::smiley2:

FoxHound
07-18-2010, 04:15
going slow is key.....Myself, the wife, and a good friends of ours are ALWAYS at the back of the group when down south diving. If you swim to fast you miss all the cool stuff that there is to see. Nice and slow, use the current (if there is any) and only fin to change direction. Even when im fully kitted out in the drysuit, doubles, lights, etc... I only fin once every 5ish seconds, nice and slow, keep good trim. I dive to relax no to get a workout haha

I was out helping out with some new divers that just finished open water. I ususally let them lead the dive and i follow as its in a spot ive been many times. i got paired up with this 16yo kid that could SWIM....he was fast as hell, but what happens, he killed his tank very very quickly. Next dive i led and it was slooooow, increased his bottom time almost double.

But hey, who needs to go slow when you can just get bigger and more tanks.....go big or go home right haha
Oh and i think the forklift may be cheaper then paying for the chiropractor that will be working on your back after you drag those things from your car to the dive site haha