PDA

View Full Version : Table Rock Lake

cummings66
07-13-2007, 09:37
There's a lot of places to dive here if you have a boat, some that can be dove without.

Some of those are; What are others.

Dewey Short

Moonshine Beach

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:49
Is there anybody planning on diving Table Rock this coming weekend? I thinking of heading down there but don't know if I'll do tablerock or beaver.

skdvr
07-19-2007, 11:47
I wish that I could head down there again, I actually have this weekend off but my sister is moving so my suburban and my back got volentered... I had a great time diving there all last week though....
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Phil</DIV>

texdiveguy
07-19-2007, 12:11
Plan on diving Table Rock in the fall as a team to explore "The Bridge".

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~earlyyrs/schwyhart/kimberlingcitybridges.html

****cummings66-- could you suggest any clean-basic-inexpensive local motels?? Thanks

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 17:31
I hear stories about a town that was flodded atTable Rock.

texdiveguy
07-19-2007, 17:59
I hear stories about a town that was flodded atTable Rock.

I am not sure if any site still remains....near have heard of it being actually located.

jacewindu
07-19-2007, 18:34
where is table rock? close enough for a nice day-trip from chicago?

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 19:08
It is in Branson Mo. The trip would have be an over-nighter.

Rascal1933
07-19-2007, 19:13
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hey there Matthew, </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Let's go get jacewindu,and show him Tablerock!</DIV>
<DIV>We'll take him for a drink down at"The Oasis "</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Don't worry The Oasis is a good thing! smileys/smiley5.gif</DIV>

cummings66
07-19-2007, 22:43
Yeah, Oasis. Look on Scubaboard for postings from me on it. I have provided the lat/long of it per govt. data on towns, and also from a plat map that I have from the 30's of the town. Using that I uploaded a couple photo's from Street Atlas showing where it is now, i.e. I did the triangulation based on what I could locate and then plotted it out.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Then, a buddy did a side scan sonar of the area. Guess what? DT Mag was wrong, I don't think they checked the article for accuracy. The town does not exist, the church is not there. In fact I chanced upon a guy who happened to work for the construction company that built the thing and he told me the did get rid of all those things. Foundations are the only thing left, that and roads and the bridge.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The bridge by the way can be very deep.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Table rock Inn (800)234-5890 is a good place to stay, nice rates and only about a mile from Dewey Short. They have a nice pool out back as well and BBQ grills for you to use. There's another motel up the road about a half mile that's a bit higher priced but still reasonable and are actually talking about buying a compressor for the divers that stay there.</DIV>

cummings66
07-19-2007, 22:50
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hey there Matthew, </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Let's go get jacewindu,and show him Tablerock!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hey Rascal, have I dove with you? I've dove with several Robs but I can't place your handle here?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you're close someday we need to dive.</DIV>

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 18:00
Too bad, that would have been better then sunken boats and stuff they usually put in quarries

cummings66
07-22-2007, 17:14
They place stuff like that at the lakes as well, but some things are real. Personally I enjoy the rocks and walls.

texdiveguy
07-22-2007, 18:15
This u/w water bridge ( old-Kimberling City bridge) should be an interesting venture in October...and the recovery of some items and collection of historical data,,,brrrrr!

cummings66
07-23-2007, 20:43
Geographic Names Information System Feature Detail Report

Feature ID: 751405
Name: Oasis (historical)
Class: Populated Place
Description: Inundated by Table Rock Lake
Citation: Collected during Phase I data compilation (1976-1981), primarily from U.S. Geological Survey 1:24,000-scale topographic maps (or 1:25K, Puerto Rico 1:20K), various edition dates, and from U.S. Board on Geographic Names files.
Entry Date: 24-Oct-1980
Elevation(ft/m): 915/279

Counties

Sequence County Code State Code Country
1 Taney 213 Missouri 29 US

Coordinates (One point per USGS topographic map containing the feature, NAD83)

Sequence Latitude(DEC) Longitude(DEC) Latitude(DMS) Longitude(DMS) Map Name
1 36.5386752 -93.2996271 363219N 0931759W Table Rock Dam

Designations

Designation Description
Historical This feature no longer exists

cummings66
07-23-2007, 20:47
http://digital.library.umsystem.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?sid=32e8eedd0eb855cc250b30cf773eaad8;ox=0;oy=0 ;lastres=1;res=1;width=3816;height=3041;maxw=7632; maxh=6083;subview=getsid;lasttype=boolean;view=ent ry;entryid=x-93;cc=platic;quality=1;evl=full-image;image.x=327;image.y=2657;start=1;q1=platic;r gn1=platic_all;corig=platic;c=platic;viewid=PLA-TANEY-12.TIF

http://digital.library.umsystem.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?sid=32e8eedd0eb855cc250b30cf773eaad8;q1=platic ;rgn1=platic_all;c=platic;evl=full-image;quality=1;view=entry;subview=detail;lasttype =boolean;cc=platic;entryid=x-93;viewid=PLA-TANEY-02.TIF;start=1;resnum=

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/41793/cat/500/ppuser/44417

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis538/getgooglemap?p_lat=36.5386752&amp;p_longi=-93.2996271&amp;fid=751405

The above are links to platmaps of the area before TableRock lake was around. Also some of my gallery pictures I come up with. Click on Satellite for the geonames entry to see a real picture of the area it's at.

cummings66
07-23-2007, 20:52
The bridge is supposed to be deep if you want to dive down to the road,I think I was told the top is around 100 feet deep with the bottom being around 140 feet, I think. It's a dive that demands better than average skills and air consumption.

texdiveguy
07-23-2007, 21:41
The bridge is supposed to be deep if you want to dive down to the road,I think I was told the top is around 100 feet deep with the bottom being around 140 feet, I think. It's a dive that demands better than average skills and air consumption.

Yes you are right....it is one of those spots that is deep and dark.....we will be diving trimix and low vis protocols.

cummings66
07-24-2007, 07:35
If you've got the time afterwards, dive the spot I posted above for Oasis. That is an accurate location for it and you can trust the data. I will warn you that Nemo from scubaboard did a sidescan sonar image of the area and didn't see the church like the DT mag said existed off of main street.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>However I'm not 100% sure he used the right coordinates because of something he said.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

fire diver
07-26-2007, 13:20
If you've got the time afterwards, dive the spot I posted above for Oasis. That is an accurate location for it and you can trust the data. I will warn you that Nemo from scubaboard did a sidescan sonar image of the area and didn't see the church like the DT mag said existed off of main street.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>However I'm not 100% sure he used the right coordinates because of something he said.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'd bet cash money that nothing but foundations are left of the town. Whenever the COE did these projects, they demolished everything. I don't know why. It makes no sense to me. A 15, 20, even 30-ish high building, covered by 100 or more feet of water poses no risk to anyone.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

texdiveguy
07-26-2007, 14:04
<div></div>
<div>I'd bet cash money that nothing but foundations are left of the town. Whenever the COE did these projects, they demolished everything. I don't know why. It makes no sense to me.

A 15, 20, even 30-ish high building, covered by 100 or more feet of water poses no risk to anyone.</div>
<div></div>
<div>FD</div>[/QUOTE]

Except ill prepared divers that might enter them,,,or be endangered by the years of deteresion of the building materials.

cummings66
08-05-2007, 21:13
Visibility at Dewey Short this weekend, 8/4 to 8/5 was about 5 feet at the surface, below 50 feet it opened up to over 20 feet. Outside temps were 96 degree's, surface 86 degree's and the temp at 101 feet was 48 degrees. It dropped a lot once you got below the thermocline.

SteveC
08-05-2007, 23:48
It's hard to belive that in 1957 they would be worried about future recreational divers getter hurt diving a sunken town.

texdiveguy
08-06-2007, 00:34
It's hard to belive that in 1957 they would be worried about future recreational divers getter hurt diving a sunken town.

There would be no noticeable town left at this point less a few foundation under the silt or masonry wall debrie.

skdvr
08-06-2007, 07:11
Thanks for the update on the lake conditions Matt... In two weeks I am going down there for my advanced course and I am trying to talk my wife into going with me but she is nervous about the deep dive, because she thinks that it will be extremely murkey. A few weeks back her and I were diving there and got into a spot in the lake with a mud bottom and it was just after the rain and when we hit about 40 feet you could not see more than about 2 feet. My wife was not happy about that and it felt like a sea monster was eating my arm. So now she thinks that it is always that bad the deeper you go. A another buddy and I dove at Breezy point a few days later to 80 ft. and the vis below 40 ft. really opened up to at least 30. So hopefully after your report she will not be to worried about the vis....

Phil

SteveC
08-06-2007, 17:10

There would be no noticeable town left at this point less a few foundation under the silt or masonry wall debrie.

There would be if they hadn't torn it down.

cummings66
08-06-2007, 18:49
I agree, I know of lakes built back then that did leave wood buildings intact and they are still standing. Wood does last a long time underwater, longer than many might think.

As to the visibility at Table Rock, yes it almost always gets better the deeper you go, provided you have a dive light. At 40 feet with no light turned on it looked like a black nightmare below me, going below it and turning on the light rewarded me with great visibility.

skdvr
08-06-2007, 20:51
When we were at Breezt Point we used no light at 80 ft. and you could still see great. That place had the best vis I have seen at Tablerock. I am sure that you have been there, but if not then I consider it a must see...

Phil

cummings66
08-06-2007, 21:38
I've dove it during project aware. Nice spot.

By the way, you'll find that on some days the visibility is great and then next weekend at the same spot it sucks. I've dove below 100 feet several times there where you didn't need any light at all and could easily see everything, and I've dove there when it was so dark you'd swear you was in a cave it was that black.

What's bad is when it's nice because of your light and when you lose it the blackness comes. Then you think this ain't funny as you reach for the backup. You're also thinking I hope this works because it won't be fun without it.

skdvr
08-06-2007, 21:40
What's bad is when it's nice because of your light and when you lose it the blackness comes. Then you think this ain't funny as you reach for the backup. You're also thinking I hope this works because it won't be fun without it.

I can only imagine. I am sure that gets an instant pucker!!

Phil

cummings66
08-08-2007, 14:36
It did for me, I was in a forest at the time and without a light the odds of missing all the branches was slim. I didn't think it would be a fun dive.

Fortunately the backup light was fine.

quarrydiver
08-14-2007, 23:56
i'd heard there was a town underwater, shame it's been torn down.

cummings66
08-15-2007, 15:22
i'd heard there was a town underwater, shame it's been torn down.

A dive shop down there told me the state park encourages the rumor to get more people to dive there. It seems to me that may be true.

skdvr
08-15-2007, 16:44
I hear the story about the town from divers and non divers alike down there.

There is a guy that I know that use to dive in the 70's and he said that they were down there many times looking for that town and actually came across a foundation. I asked him if he knew exactly where they were on the lake but he had no idea. He said it was to long ago.

Phil