PDA

View Full Version : Table Rock Visitor Center Changes

gNats
07-19-2010, 09:58
Notice to all ST divers who frequent Table Rock and dive at the Dewey Shorts visitors' center near the dam.

The US Army Corp of Engineers has plans to build a new visitors' center at the same location the existing center is located.

The new (and much larger building) will be built along the waterfront near the dam. This building will eliminate all waterfront parking and some of the side parking lots. Per an artist rendition of the plans, the new building (2-3 stories) will overlook the water and the incline to the water will be removed, leaving only a rock wall.

Chances are, even if the incline to the water is not removed, the positioning of the building with the glass wall of windows facing the water will make it almost impossible for divers to set up in this location.

The existing building will remain and will be used as offices for the US Army Corp of Engineers.

We did not find out when construction would begin, but it appears to be a done deal, financing and budget approved.

Noob
07-19-2010, 11:28
Hmm, Thats not good. Doesnt the Corp have a regulation that all buildings have to be 100ft or so off the shore? Hmm, second thought it is a Gov. building.

DivingCRNA
07-19-2010, 12:04
This will ruin an easy to get to dive site and seriously impact Missouri diving.

bottomdweller
07-19-2010, 15:33
They have already broken ground on this new project, from the artist rendition it looks like this may become a boat dive location only.
I can't tell from any of the pictures I have seen if there will be anywhere to walk down to the shore near the old building or not?
I sure hope they leave someplace for swimmers, divers, & fishermen to get down to the shore.
Anyone else have any more info?

DivingCRNA
07-19-2010, 17:19
They have already broken ground on this new project, from the artist rendition it looks like this may become a boat dive location only.
I can't tell from any of the pictures I have seen if there will be anywhere to walk down to the shore near the old building or not?
I sure hope they leave someplace for swimmers, divers, & fishermen to get down to the shore.
Anyone else have any more info?

Not much of a boat dive site... You do know that those big orange buoys are to mark how far boats have to stay from the dam, right??

There was no ground broken yesterday when we were there. Is there something I don't know?

bottomdweller
07-19-2010, 20:11
Not much of a boat dive site... You do know that those big orange buoys are to mark how far boats have to stay from the dam, right??

There was no ground broken yesterday when we were there. Is there something I don't know?

I didn't say it would be a great boat dive site. You could however anchor over closer to the old visitors center & swim under the buoys. You would not be able to enter anywhere near where the steps are now, but you could still dive there.
This would totally suck, I would agree with that. As far as the broken ground, I found a few sites that said they did on July 9th? (I was there 10th & I didn't notice either?)
Local News (http://www.krzk.com/local_news.php?id=2072)

gNats
07-19-2010, 20:47
They had markers up yesterday to indicate where construction would be, but otherwise no disturbed ground I could see.

bottomdweller
07-19-2010, 20:52
If you click on this site, Local News (http://www.krzk.com/local_news.php?id=2072) it shows pictures of the ground breaking.

snagel
07-20-2010, 05:05
Typically, Ground Breaking Ceremonies involve a few "important people" showing up and sticking a gold painted shovel in the ground. Once it's over you never knew it happened.

I sure hope they try and do something for the divers at Dewey. The area attracts divers daily that spend money in the local businesses. In addition, there are always people at the water fishing and swimming. I can't believe they are going to put an end to all this. Why would you go?

Last year some of the local business owners from around the Dam area talked to us and asked us what we as divers would like to see at Dewey. They said they were planning on doing some rennovations and wanted some input from the divers because the area brought so many divers to the area. We talked to them about adding more steps, maybe putting in some platforms, maybe adding some small dive attractions underwater or even allowing divers to build a "dive park" underwater by adding things (maybe by permit).

It looks like there have been some meetings with the community involvment, but once again if they limit access to the water, they have cut out a great portion of the people that go to Dewey.

Snagel

bottomdweller
07-20-2010, 07:15
Typically, Ground Breaking Ceremonies involve a few "important people" showing up and sticking a gold painted shovel in the ground. Once it's over you never knew it happened.

I sure hope they try and do something for the divers at Dewey. The area attracts divers daily that spend money in the local businesses. In addition, there are always people at the water fishing and swimming. I can't believe they are going to put an end to all this. Why would you go?

Last year some of the local business owners from around the Dam area talked to us and asked us what we as divers would like to see at Dewey. They said they were planning on doing some rennovations and wanted some input from the divers because the area brought so many divers to the area. We talked to them about adding more steps, maybe putting in some platforms, maybe adding some small dive attractions underwater or even allowing divers to build a "dive park" underwater by adding things (maybe by permit).

It looks like there have been some meetings with the community involvment, but once again if they limit access to the water, they have cut out a great portion of the people that go to Dewey.

Snagel

Yes, from the pictures it looks like they dug up a small spot about 15ft long by 3ft wide or so.

gNats
07-20-2010, 07:28
Snagel: Bill didn't know ANYTHING about the building and he lives in Branson.

bottomdweller
07-20-2010, 10:56
I had not heard anything about it either until I read this thread, I live about 30 mins away from Dewey Short.

417Diver
07-20-2010, 14:41
Lets go picket the place and stand all suited up during the start of construction:smiley36:
Im sure there will be some spot to get to shore still.

bottomdweller
07-29-2010, 15:10
Since I have not been able to find any more info about this project, I called the Dewey Short visitors center today & ask if people would still be able to get to the shoreline for diving, fishing, & swimming. I was told by the gentleman I spoke with that we would still be able to get to the water for all of these activities. He also said they have quite a few pictures that show what it will look like when it is finished.
I think I am going to swing by there this weekend & check out the pictures & probably get in a dive or two.

DivingCRNA
07-29-2010, 15:52
I saw the pictures. The parking lot is going to be a long way from the water. It is gonna be a mother to hump tanks and gear to the water. I could dive at Oronogo and save a 2 hour drive if I want to move gear that far...

snagel
07-29-2010, 16:25
It would be great if you could get some pictures to scan and post so we all can see. I'm going to be down there this weekend; so, I might stop in as well. (No diving....I promised my mother I would take her to Branson one weekend this summer and this is the weekend, so Mom's weekend)

Snagel

mm2002
07-29-2010, 19:40
Wow, that's gonna suck. Although I don't even live there anymore, I was hoping to take a trip to Dewey for old times sake. I grew my gills at that damn dam.

bottomdweller
07-30-2010, 07:39
I will get some pictures & post them here.

TRW
07-30-2010, 20:45
I dove there 7/24 and nothing was going on. From what I hear the new building will be between the concrete stairs and the Damn.....leaving us the stair case and the old entry point further west. We may have to walk a few more steps, but I think that will be the only inconvience. I am doing a sunset dive tomorrow at the Damn and I will keep you updated.

bottomdweller
07-31-2010, 18:10
We went and checked out the site today & talked with Chritopher Welch with the Ozarks Rivers Heritage Foundation. (not sure what that is) but It looks like the stairs will still be there & we will have no problem getting to the water. As TRW said we may have a little longer walk but not that bad.
Here aresome pics, I hope this works!!

mm2002
08-01-2010, 05:14
Looking at those pics, I don't see where there will be access anywhere close to the dam.

bottomdweller
08-02-2010, 09:36
They are not actually doing any thing to the shore line, The asphalt path that runs along the top of the hill along the water will still be there. The stairs are still going to be there also, They are just removing the parking spaces near the stairs.
It will be a little more of a walk, but not all that bad.

DivingCRNA
08-02-2010, 11:21
They are not actually doing any thing to the shore line, The asphalt path that runs along the top of the hill along the water will still be there. The stairs are still going to be there also, They are just removing the parking spaces near the stairs.
It will be a little more of a walk, but not all that bad.

Unless it is hot as hell and you are in doubles and a drysuit!!!!

bottomdweller
08-02-2010, 14:29
Unless it is hot as hell and you are in doubles and a drysuit!!!!

Yes, that would kinda suck!!!

snagel
08-02-2010, 15:55
It actually looks like it is gonna be very nice. Do we know when building is to start? When it should be complete?

I would hope that they would do something for the divers. I know they get a lot of visitors, but they also get a lot of divers to the area and many if not most dive from Dewey and they rent hotel rooms, eat at restaurants....in other words spend money.

Snagel

mm2002
08-02-2010, 18:07
OK, maybe I'm not getting the big picture. Here's the pic I was looking at, and I drew a little blue circle where I (approximately) remembered the concrete steps. It looks to me like that's all going to be a sheer ledge. What am I missing?

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/mm2002_bucket/dewey.jpg

gNats
08-02-2010, 18:21
we were approached by another diver that day who sounded like he had heard some information through reliable sources. It was after his comments that we went inside the visitor center and looked around.

According to him, they are taking away a big portion of the "picnic and swimming" from the visitor center. It's not just divers affected. The weekend we were there, lots of people were showing up to swim and picnic. This person had the feeling that they were building an environment that would naturally discourage those activities. The visitor center does not charge a day use fee similar to the day-camping areas nearby.

snagel
08-03-2010, 04:29
Mark,

I took from the picture that the steps are little farther down, but who knows really from the picture. It does look like they are trying to fill up the open areas, maybe to discourage people from setting up picnics and canopy's. There seems to be a lot of swimmers who use the area....maybe they want people to pay and use Moonshine.

Snagel

bottomdweller
08-03-2010, 08:26
From what I was told the stairs will still be intact, The artist that did the drawing you are looking at just did not want to draw the shoreline as it looks now. There won't be a sheer wall, it was just easier to draw it up like that. I was told that we may not be able to use the stairs while construction is ongoing but once construction is finished the stairs will be reopened to the public.
I was told there may be some very minor changes to the shoreline like the waterfall between the new building & the damn, but the shoreline should look pretty much the same after construction, and we will still be able to dive, fish, & swim in the same areas we now can.

bottomdweller
08-07-2010, 16:06
Okay, here are pictures of the dam as is now.
Beachbum & I bent or broke the law a little, risking our lives to get these shots.
The feds are still on our trail.
As you can see there is a sheer wall now & you can see the stairs to the far right of the picture. compare to the other pic.

bottomdweller
08-07-2010, 17:04
7483My bad, forgot the pics

mm2002
08-07-2010, 20:03
What were you ding taking surface pics instead of diving that day? The vis looked pretty nice! :smiley5:

bottomdweller
08-07-2010, 20:13
What were you ding taking surface pics instead of diving that day? The vis looked pretty nice! :smiley5:

I was helping a friend move from Harrison AR to Branson West, stopped off to take the pics. I am going back to dive it tomorrow morning, the vis did look good. We leave for Clearwater Beach FL on the 15th, going to check out some of that warm water you are enjoying.

bottomdweller
08-07-2010, 20:19
You can see my truck & trailer loaded up on the left up by the flag pole inthe circle turn-around.

navyhmc
08-07-2010, 20:23

I was helping a friend move from Harrison AR to Branson West, stopped off to take the pics. I am going back to dive it tomorrow morning, the vis did look good. We leave for Clearwater Beach FL on the 15th, going to check out some of that warm water you are enjoying.

I was going to guess surface interval... but if you're diving tomorrow, that's good too.