PDA

View Full Version : If you have a Lawn Mower - READ THIS!

ScubaToys Larry
07-28-2010, 12:28
So it turns out, that for years, the lawn mower companies have been lying about the horse power of their mowers. Stop and think about a tiny single spark plug lawn mower, and they say it's 6.5 horse power! Now think how big a motor is on a boat to get 6.5 horse power... about 3 times the size!

So it was a huge scam, they just made up numbers, and tried to go higher than their competition, even if there was no fact in the claims.

Well, there was just a big class action suit that ended up with anyone who has a lawn mower that they got in the last 6 years or so can get a cash settlement.

$35 if you have a push mower...
$80 if you have a riding lawn mower.

Don't need receipts... just the model and serial numbers, fill out the form, and bingo - they'll send you a check.

You can get all the info and fill out the form at https://lawnmowerclass.com/

Of course, any money you get back now, must be spent at ScubaToys!

I just heard about this yesterday and thought I'd share!!!

Noob
07-28-2010, 12:31
sweet thanks

Geez Larry, I've already dropped approx 400 with ya this month. LOL

chilly willy
07-28-2010, 13:42
Thanks for the info Larry.

cmburch
07-28-2010, 13:47
Too bad.

I have never purchased a lawn mower.

I always have a friend, coworker, or relative who went with a gardener or got tired of cleaning out the carburetor each Spring.

jans
07-28-2010, 13:50
Im rich. In 6 years I think we have bought 2 riders and 2 push.

chinacat46
07-28-2010, 13:54
My mower is over 10 years old no money for me. :-(.

chilly willy
07-28-2010, 14:07
My mower is over 10 years old no money for me. :-(.
This is what the website says;
You can receive these benefits if:

1. You purchased a lawn mower, for your own use, containing an engine with up to 30 horsepower in the United States or Puerto Rico and between January 1, 1994 and April 12, 2010.
2. Either the lawn mower or the engine of the lawn mower was manufactured or sold by a Company listed below.
3. You submit a claim.

Diver Kat
07-28-2010, 14:43
Cool!! Just sent mine in. If I do get the $35 .... well I do need a new light to replace the OxyCheq Raider 1 that croaked. :smiley19: Guess the mower money would get me part way there! :smiley1:

brojack17
07-28-2010, 14:52
That's $35 I can now spend at ScubaToys.

Rileybri
07-28-2010, 16:35
woot $35 will be mine soon!

navyhmc
07-28-2010, 20:20
Another $35 to be spent at ST!!!!

Diver Kat
07-28-2010, 22:15
Another $35 to be spent at ST!!!!
LOL .... if this works, Larry's going to be looking for every class action suit to post so we all spend the payoff's at ST!:smilie39:

fire diver
07-29-2010, 06:49
I appreciate the info, I will be looking into it. My only problem is that I have no data on the several POS mowers that died in the past 10-15 years. I guess I can just submit the info for my current mower.

DivingCRNA
07-29-2010, 12:55
I sold my mower... Don't have the info... :(

Godfather1138
07-29-2010, 13:52
I'm going to have to look into this. I have a riding mower in that age range, and haven't claimed my ST "post coupon" yet either ^_^ this might work out well for me... same the turnaround is probably 2 years.

Doug B
08-02-2010, 21:08
I saw this lawn mower thing... and I qualify to get a check.... but I won't ask for it and I won't cash it....

Who cares if the HP rating on my mower was over-stated by the manufacturer? Did anybody die or was caused injury or discomfort because of it? Did it take you six extra minutes to cut your grass because the HP on your mower was over-stated?

Jeez!

The ONLY people who are going to make money on this is a couple of scum bag lawyers. And we, the lawn-mower buying public will simply pay more for mowers in the future to cover the lawyer and rebate costs. That $35 rebate will end up costing you $75 more the next time you buy a mower.

The whole thing makes me mad. It's stuff like this that will only cause OTHER lawyers to seek out OTHER stupid things to sue for... that will only end up costing you and me money.

bigman241
08-04-2010, 06:59
does it count if you bought the mower yesterday. LOL we bought a john deere rider yesterday. I would take the 80 bucks I need emm something from ST

Godfather1138
08-04-2010, 07:39
I saw this lawn mower thing... and I qualify to get a check.... but I won't ask for it and I won't cash it....

Who cares if the HP rating on my mower was over-stated by the manufacturer? Did anybody die or was caused injury or discomfort because of it? Did it take you six extra minutes to cut your grass because the HP on your mower was over-stated?

Jeez!

The ONLY people who are going to make money on this is a couple of scum bag lawyers. And we, the lawn-mower buying public will simply pay more for mowers in the future to cover the lawyer and rebate costs. That $35 rebate will end up costing you $75 more the next time you buy a mower.

The whole thing makes me mad. It's stuff like this that will only cause OTHER lawyers to seek out OTHER stupid things to sue for... that will only end up costing you and me money.

I agree that lawsuits in this country have gotten out of control, but there is actually a reason that these types of suits happen. The lawn mower issue is not the first, and will not be the last. The most resent example I know of first hand (I did not take part, it just hit my industry) was a suit against a number of hard drive manufacturers due to their practice of rounding UP the size ratings on their hard drives. This was a simple issue that came down to the not so perfect conversion between kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes. The larger the drives get the further off the actual GB rating becomes so someone would by a 750GB drive and discover that it has considerably less space than rated.

The point is, someone is trying to keep the industries honest with suits that amount to a fine for their actions. Products should be marked as they actually are, not as the company would have us believe. We all grew up understanding that false advertising was illegal, so why should anyone get a slide for giving in to that practice to increase sells?

Diver Kat
05-21-2011, 09:53
Well have to say "Thanks!" Larry!!! Got my settlement check today. It was $10.19, people with riding mowers are getting $21.84.

Soonerwink
05-21-2011, 16:27
I also received my check for 10.19 not the 35.00, I guess the lawyers had to take their share.

Diver Kat
05-21-2011, 17:31
I also received my check for 10.19 not the 35.00, I guess the lawyers had to take their share. It was all the people from ST sending in their forms .... it lowered everyone's share!:smiley36:

russp
05-25-2011, 20:32
Since Larry is the one who turned us all on to this, I think there needs to be a SCUBA TOYS $10.19 DEAL OF THE DAY.

Doug B
05-26-2011, 22:36
I also received my check for 10.19 not the 35.00, I guess the lawyers had to take their share.

Dont forget to claim the $10.19 as income on your taxes next year, so you can pay 25% of it to uncle Sam.

I'm sure the Lawyers got $25, and they probably have some special rule or condition where they don't have to pay taxes on thier money because they were acting on behalf of the general public and doing a public service.

Don't be suprised to see the price of mowers, snow blowers, repair parts and everything else go up so the companies can cover this $35 check.

I understand the truth in advertising thing... but there are too many friggin lawyers

Skred
05-31-2011, 09:57
Check for $21.84 arrived this past Thursday. Thanks for the heads up on this, Larry!