PDA

View Full Version : Dives Logged

russp
07-29-2010, 21:05
I'm happy with the new forum now that I'm used to it. The only thing I miss is the dives logged count on the poster's profile shown on each post. It gave me an idea of the experience of the person offering advice or an opinion without having to go to their full profile.

rawalker
07-30-2010, 00:37
In many cases that count can be misleading. There are many divers with a high dive count that don't have half the training, knowledge or experience of divers with a fraction on the dive count. Some diver may be diving 1 or 2 weeks a year for the last 30 years and have never updated their knowledge based on newer findings and equipment.
Also there are divers that have only been diving a few years but very frequently and continue to train learning specialties and practicing regularly.
Finally the dive count was voluntary info and many people didn't update their profile regularly while others could just lie about there experience.
I'd rather have profiles with verified certifications.
If you look at the persons' profile the dive count is still there.

ScubaStevo
07-30-2010, 03:47
In many cases that count can be misleading. There are many divers with a high dive count that don't have half the training, knowledge or experience of divers with a fraction on the dive count. Some diver may be diving 1 or 2 weeks a year for the last 30 years and have never updated their knowledge based on newer findings and equipment.
Also there are divers that have only been diving a few years but very frequently and continue to train learning specialties and practicing regularly.
Finally the dive count was voluntary info and many people didn't update their profile regularly while others could just lie about there experience.

Well said!

navyhmc
07-30-2010, 05:37

Respectfully, I can not fully agree. Yes, after 35 years of diving I have over 1,000 dives - actually I believe it's closer to 2,000 +/- but I didn't log dives for a good number of years. My training to date is: OW, AOW, Night, with recent additions of Nitrox and Deep. Though the deep really doesn't count as when I starteddiving, there was no deep card and we were told to try to keep it under 140 due to very short NDL's. In that 35 yeras, I have dove pretty much the entire world and pretty much every sea/water condition there is. I've done ice dives cold water, 2'-3' vis etc.

While education is good, just going out and diving is IMHO better in the long run. What matters more? The diver who has dove the area or in my case the deep dives and does so quite regularly and very safely or the diver who did the specialty 2 years ago and has only had 3 dives since while the deep class was good, the information was more of verification that I had been doing things correctly over the years rather than a lot of new information. Same with UW navigation, I did some in my night class but use it frequently so I feel very confident in my skills.

scubadiver888
07-30-2010, 07:54
I'd tend to agree with Navy on this one. However, comparing the guy with 50 dives to the guy with 100 dives, there is an off chance I'd appreciate the opinion of the guy with 50 dives over the guy with 100 dives. Once you get up into the 500 dive range, I have noticed the divers opinion seems more sound than someone with 50 or even 100 dives.

On the other hand, I'd take advice from someone with 50 dives on buoyancy control as someone with 3000 dives might not be able to relate to someone with 20 dives. :)

Throw in the factor of being an instructor or a nature mentor and things become less clear. That is, an instructor/mentor with 200 dives might be better at explain something than someone with 1000+ dives.

The number of logged dives can be used as an indicator but everyone should consider all other factors as well.

scubastud
07-30-2010, 08:01
Lets see...
Ya know come to think of it, I rarely look at dives logged, ya kind of know who here has the experience and such. I very very rarely see bad advice in this forum. Different opinions heck yea... but people talking out of their behinds? naw.. and if this happens, it is corrected almost immediatly by others here.
If I want advice, and get two different responces, I do not look at "dives logged" to decide what advice to follow.

Bill A
07-30-2010, 15:22
I tend to agree that diving is a good teacher, as for logged dive count some of us just quit logging years ago. For the sake of conversation I took my first breath underwater on a Healthways twin hose reg, I think it was a Healthways wearing a Mae West over a hard back pack, it was off the back of my dads boat in 1964 with him and my godfather on Catalina.