PDA

View Full Version : Protocol when meeting a gam, grind, school, herd, pod, collage, or shiver of sharks

Lulubelle
08-01-2010, 10:49
So yesterday, when descending down the anchor line to a wreck, my dive buddy and I encountered a huge herd of sharks clustered completely around the anchor line and to the edge of our visibility which was about 20 feet. We had to make a decision regarding what to do, and I'm interested to see what others would have done.

I couldn't get back to my poll to edit this to fit the poll parameters...

1. Pull out your big ass knife attached to your leg where you can't use it and show those sharks who is boss.
2. Get back on the boat.
3. Swim away from the anchor line until you find a shark free area to continue your descent.
4. Wait and watch while everyone else is coming down the anchor line behind you.
5. Continue to descend slowly right on top and in the middle of them.
6. Bop any who are in your way on the nose.

comet24
08-01-2010, 10:57
Keep going down the line. All the sharks I've encountered of NC are fine with divers. A year ago we where on a wreck, sorry can't remember the name, with so many you couldn't see much of the wreck. I had planed a penetration dive but decided instead to swim around with them for awhile. They where just hanging all over the wreck in a large group. Could reach out a touch them they where so close.

Lulubelle
08-01-2010, 11:13
Keep going down the line. All the sharks I've encountered of NC are fine with divers. A year ago we where on a wreck, sorry can't remember the name, with so many you couldn't see much of the wreck. I had planed a penetration dive but decided instead to swim around with them for awhile. They where just hanging all over the wreck in a large group. Could reach out a touch them they where so close.

I tried to post this as a poll, but I exceeded the character limit and could not get back to it to edit it. I'm interested to see what the range of responses will be to this one.

alpha
08-01-2010, 11:40
Spearing fish, so choice #2 if more than 3 or 1-2 very large ones that are super active, arching back, etc. etc. . and diving with a buddy. If solo, only 1 shark, if more than 1 I will not knowingly spear a fish while they are present.

#6 sort of but with the tip of the spear shaft to their body poking them if I can reach them, or jabbing them with a lobster stick if not spearing fish.

Splitlip
08-01-2010, 11:43
If L had a camera (the biggest shark deterrent I know), there would not have been a flock of sharks to photograph.

Lulubelle
08-01-2010, 11:48
If L had a camera (the biggest shark deterrent I know), there would not have been a flock of sharks to photograph.

Flock apparently is not a correct way to refer to a group of sharks, but point taken. I personally like "shiver" but use herd as it seems to fit.

Splitlip
08-01-2010, 11:49
I actually like "PILE". :)

TwistedSister209
08-01-2010, 12:24
Continue descent hoping that I'm in the middle of the human pack. :smiley3:

Lulubelle
08-01-2010, 12:58
Continue descent hoping that I'm in the middle of the human pack. :smiley3:

There was just me, and my 110 pound dive buddy. We continued our descent, it was AWESOME.

For those who might think that they would swim off of the anchor line and find an open spot to descend, don't do that, divers get lost at sea that way.

TwistedSister209
08-01-2010, 12:59
{{{{{shiver}}}}
I'm so ready to see for myself.

Lulubelle
08-01-2010, 13:31
{{{{{shiver}}}}
I'm so ready to see for myself.

I have some weekends available in August Twisted. Come on.

SEMO Scuba
08-01-2010, 18:44
1. Pull out your big ass knife attached to your leg where you can't use it and show those sharks who is boss.
2. Get back on the boat.
3. Swim away from the anchor line until you find a shark free area to continue your descent.
4. Wait and watch while everyone else is coming down the anchor line behind you.
5. Continue to descend slowly right on top and in the middle of them.
6. Bop any who are in your way on the nose.

Add option #7, Pee in my wetsuit. That would probably be my response. I don't think my puny little knife would scare them. I wouldn't want to get back on the boat. I have done enough low viz dives to know not to let go of the anchor line in current or mid water. For me #4 & #5 would be the best since I have not been exposed to any real sharks (only seen Nurse sharks so far). #6 would probably make me pee in my wetsuit again.

awap
08-01-2010, 19:03
This is easy, being a gentleman - Ladies first.

navyhmc
08-01-2010, 19:50
You now have a poll on this Lulu! Maybe the mods can join the two threads....

I figure keep the hands in close and carry on!

fab50diver
08-02-2010, 04:34
Thought this was interesting. When reading about the untimely death of underwater videographer Wes Skiles I found this information:

Wes Skiles, 52, never went to college. Instead, he said he matriculated through the “school of life” and got a degree in “curiology.”

Lulubelle
08-03-2010, 16:26
This is easy, being a gentleman - Ladies first.:smilie39: But we were both ladies. I went first, but maybe next time I should over my buddy the opportunity to pass me on the line down.

DevilDiver
08-08-2010, 12:31
Wide angle lens
Strobes angled out - TTL- 1/2 power.
F/6 - F/8
1/125 - 1/60

DMWiz
08-08-2010, 12:52
That's easy, the answer is clearly #1, so I fixed it for you.

1. Pull out your big ass knife attached to your leg where you can't use it and cut your buddy so they leave a visible blood trail!

Honestly the answer would depend on what kind of cadre of sharks I encounter lawyers, used car salesmen, insurance adjusters. :)