PDA

View Full Version : Nitrox Certification

ravenfish
09-10-2007, 00:09
I am a newly certified PADI diver. I am looking to get nitrox certified. Must I continue with PADI or may I go with another outfit like SSI or SDI?

wkowalski
09-10-2007, 00:17
You can pick any organization you like.

ChrisA
09-10-2007, 00:18
I am a newly certified PADI diver. I am looking to get nitrox certified. Must I continue with PADI or may I go with another outfit like SSI or SDI?

Pick any agency you like.

Nitrox is the only C-card people ever look at. You need it to buy Nitrox. But the guy filling the tank will not car what agency gave you the card.

ravenfish
09-10-2007, 13:45
Thanks! I was not sure if I needed to spend the extra money to stay with PADI.

CompuDude
09-10-2007, 14:27
I found TDI's Nitrox course to be more comprehensive than PADIs (I've taken both). Not really surprising given the technical orientation of TDI.

PADI's books were lot a prettier, though. :)

And I have to admit, while it's going to cost me an extra $30 (grumblegrumble), I really like that PADI will sell you a combo card... your C-Card plus Nitrox cert on one card. Anything to get more crap out of my wallet...

MEL-DC Diver
09-10-2007, 14:29
I took it from both PADI and IANTD. Most of the theory is the same, but the way you arrive at your MOD and MOD for allowable PPO2 is different, as well as you PPO2 thresholds. For all practical purposes, most ops here is the US use Pre-Mix (basically 32% and 36% in the can, ready to go) which PADI already has those 2 Dive Tables included in your kit for - the easy way out - LOL! The other agencies tend to make you do a bit more work to arrive at your conclusions for those same mixes. Something to think about.

I am a fan of the IANTD methods (love the triangle), but I think PADI's documentation is a bit more clear, and if you just want to dive NITROX and don't care too much for math, then of the two PADI would be the way to go. Also, and I can't believe I am saying this, but if you want that "Master Diver" cert from PADI, this would be a specialty that would count toward it. Those would be the only 2 reasons I would say that PADI might be right for you. I am only able to contrast IANTD and PADI, though I am sure others might be able to shed some light on the other organizations.

CompuDude
09-10-2007, 14:47
I think they all teach the basics, but you may wish to consider where your diving is taking you. If you're chasing cards (such as PADI's MSD), you'll want the PADI course. If you want the easiest possible course, perhaps the PADI course. If you want more thorough course, and/or if you might want to pursue more advanced (technical) diving in your future, you should start with a basic Nitrox course from a technical company such as TDI or IANTD rather than PADI.

In the end, though, any of them will get you there. And I have to admit that for pure recreational diving, knowing the basics of why, and plugging the mix into your computer (or using a pre-printed table for the mix you are diving), will eliminate the need for math once your class is done. (Unless you plan to go further.)

MEL-DC Diver
09-10-2007, 15:08
That's a good point, Compudude. How you see yourself using nitrox in the future is quite relevant to the decision.

ravenfish
09-10-2007, 23:01
I don't have any immediate plans to be a PADI Master Diver. But I wouldn't rule out PADI AOW and Nitrox or Enriched Air certification counts towards that.

I just don't get why I costs so much.

Capt Hook
09-10-2007, 23:54
Pick any agency you want.

MEL-DC Diver
09-11-2007, 09:01
I don't have any immediate plans to be a PADI Master Diver. But I wouldn't rule out PADI AOW and Nitrox or Enriched Air certification counts towards that.

PADI does require two dives w/ Nitrox, so that is part of the price. The prices can vary from shop to shop and from agency to agency. The agencies that don't require dives for nitrox should also have the least expensive courses on offer at the shops. This is all theory, so there is no real practical learning to be done in the water w/ regard to Nitrox, but it is an excuse to get 2 dives in. I think I saw the course on offer in Key Largo once for $99, but doubt it was PADI.

texdiveguy
09-11-2007, 09:05
IMO for basic Nitrox class...any of the recognized scuba agencies will do fine....most rec. level instructors can teach the course so you should have plenty to pick from. The information taught is very basic and not rocket science....so have FUN and go for it!!

CompuDude
09-11-2007, 11:38

PADI does require two dives w/ Nitrox, so that is part of the price. The prices can vary from shop to shop and from agency to agency. The agencies that don't require dives for nitrox should also have the least expensive courses on offer at the shops. This is all theory, so there is no real practical learning to be done in the water w/ regard to Nitrox, but it is an excuse to get 2 dives in. I think I saw the course on offer in Key Largo once for $99, but doubt it was PADI.

PADI dropped the requirement to have two dives with the class over 6 months ago (nearly a year ago?). Some shops continue to offer the dives as an option, however. The higher price may reflect the optional dives included, it may be worth asking about that.

ravenfish
09-11-2007, 14:13
I just called my LDS and they confirmed the no dive PADI nitrox course. But it's six hours of classroom work.

PADI dropped the requirement to have two dives with the class over 6 months ago (nearly a year ago?). Some shops continue to offer the dives as an option, however. The higher price may reflect the optional dives included, it may be worth asking about that.

BusDiver
09-11-2007, 14:20
I found the class to be interesting and worth the time. The question is where do you see nitrox in your future. The biggest bummer with nitrox is the cost. I am headed to Tobermory on Thursday and fills are $20 Canadian from one of the shops up there (I hope the other one is cheaper).

plot
09-11-2007, 17:01
my SSI nitrox class was 4 hours. you do the book work and answer questions at home, then all the class really needs to do is give you the test and show you how an analyzer works... there's not really anything more to basic nitrox.

when you get a tank filled you'll be required to hook on an analyzer and determine the EAN yourself, which you'll then write on a tag on the tank along with the MOD. For the MOD, you'll either look at a table that came with the class, do a simple calculation, or wherever you got the tank filled with have the MOD tables up. that's what the class will ultimately teach you... and then they'll throw in some of the do's and don'ts, bad things that can happen, etc.

It's a class that I'm surprised they don't offer online...

ravenfish
09-12-2007, 14:53
TDI/SDI offers the course online. I just enrolled. It's 7 chapters with knowledge reviews and a final test. Do I need to buy and analyzer?

texdiveguy
09-12-2007, 14:57
TDI/SDI offers the course online. I just enrolled. It's 7 chapters with knowledge reviews and a final test. Do I need to buy and analyzer?

I don't think so....just use the provided computer web site 'plug-in' and your set to analyze....silly me.

plot
09-12-2007, 16:39

you don't personally need one unless you want your own as an extra level of control/comfort. anywhere you get nitrox will have an analyzer for you to use.

ravenfish
09-13-2007, 17:00
Finished the SDI online course this morning. Really easy. Now I need to do the review at a LDS. But I got two different answers from the shop regarding the 2 Nitrox Dives, mandatory or optional. According to the SDI website it's optional.

georoc01
09-13-2007, 17:19
I just called my LDS and they confirmed the no dive PADI nitrox course. But it's six hours of classroom work.

When I did mine in May it was a 4 hour class like the one below. We reviewed the homework, took a test, and then analyzed some tanks.

diverdad
09-15-2007, 10:48
I have been looking in to nitrox as well i'll probable use ssi, because that is where i got my ow cert. and i liked the instructor that i had. But they don't require any dives but i am not going to tell my wife that, she thinks that i will have make some dives. What she does not know will not hurt me. SSI looks like their are the least expensive.

texdiveguy
09-15-2007, 12:19
I have been looking in to nitrox as well i'll probable use ssi, because that is where i got my ow cert. and i liked the instructor that i had. But they don't require any dives but i am not going to tell my wife that, she thinks that i will have make some dives. What she does not know will not hurt me. SSI looks like their are the least expensive.

Have a good time....great course the Nitrox.....keep up the dives!