PDA

View Full Version : BC Question

johlar
07-13-2007, 10:11
When are you supposed to put the weight into a weight integrated BC? I have a 3 year old Scubapro BC and I am physically unable to put the weights into the vest once I put the vest on. I just don't have the wrist strenght plus the opening for the weights is very tight. I don't have an issue removing the weight, I've tested to make sure .
<DIV>Anyone else have this type of problem.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

FishFood
07-13-2007, 12:16
I always weight mine down before putting it on. On my BC, it makes it front heavy, so I put the weigths init just before putting it on my body.

Kingpatzer
07-13-2007, 12:46
I always load the weights after the tank is on, but before I'm wearing it.

The tank weight makes it easier to manipulate (to me) but I can't imagine doing it while wearing it . . .

HoosierDaddy
07-13-2007, 12:56
That is how I do it, mount the BC on the tank, then insert weights into BC... Hook up inflator, put on wetsuit, dive knife, turn on tank, lift BC, put on BC, check air, put on fins, mask, cover reg and giant stride into the Gulf of Mexico. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat....

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 12:56
They're a pain to put in mid-water, that's for sure, but it's do-able, especially if you get into horizontal trim so the BC is a little freer to move around.

Generally it's best to put them in before you put the whole scuba unit on. Hopefully, however, you have a friend to help or a handy ledge, because yes, you're picking up the entire weighted beastie, which can weigh a ton (esp in colder water where you carry more weight).

I prefer a good weight belt.

johlar
07-13-2007, 17:41
I'm glad it's not just me who puts the weight in then puts the BC on! I'm considering going to a weight belt.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>thanks folks</DIV>

cummings66
07-13-2007, 18:43
My buddy lost his weights and I picked them up off the bottom for him and put them in, it was a MAJOR PITA to do. The BC pockets sometimes are rather tight and it's work to get them in. My Mare's Vector is pretty easy, but the Bechaut is not fun.

picxie
07-13-2007, 19:10
I put weights in then put the BCD on the tank. I also wear a weight belt and half the weight is on that, and only half in the BCD.

TAH 73
07-19-2007, 19:37
Are you using hard or soft weights?
<DIV>I find with my Scubapro BC I have an easier time loading the softweights in rather than the lead blocks.</DIV>
<DIV>I have no issues loading in the weights after I have the BC on. just as question does the weight dump have a large Velcro strip across the bottom, and you load the weights through a zippered slot in the top? If so make sure the Velcro is lined up properly, whenI first got my BC the Velcro was pulled too tight and the pockets wouldn't open up far enough to get the weights in.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Rascal1933
07-19-2007, 20:20
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ditto that's the way I do it: I always load the weights after the tank is on, but before I'm wearing it.
</DIV>

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 21:07
BC on the tank, Reg on the tank, weights in BC and the BC on me.

Illini_Fan
07-19-2007, 21:16
I'm another one that does the BC on the tank and then the weights into the BC.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 21:23
I don't think I am flexable enough to do it any other way. Like I stated earlier, I have a hard time using my BC pockets, ther is no way I could find where to put the weights after it is on.

techgnostic
07-19-2007, 21:39
I don't think I am flexable enough to do it any other way. Like I stated earlier, I have a hard time using my BC pockets, ther is no way I could find where to put the weights after it is on.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Well...you know if youarenot happy,our hosts have a fine selection of BCs for sale.</DIV>

the gooch
07-20-2007, 21:43
My weights are kept in my BC but when I am traveling and need to use the outfit's weights I will put BC on Tank, regs on tank, and then weights in pockets and slide in to BC.