PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Boots help!

granchez
09-10-2007, 09:54
Just need some help with tips on drying boots.
and what to use to get this stinky odor out of my boots.
thanks

ScaredSilly
09-11-2007, 12:35
Wash them in 40 Mule Team or get what I think is called Stink Remover. When drying, make sure they are open all the way - inserting a piece of plastic pipe that air can blow through helps. Look at boot driers to get an idea of how to make one for home use.

boat
09-11-2007, 17:37
Toiloet paper tubes or paper towel tubes work pretty well also. Of course you can't reuse them too many times.

CompuDude
09-11-2007, 18:48
... and in the end, pick up a pair of Henderson InstaDry boots and never worry about it again!

Capt Hook
09-11-2007, 19:20
"Sink the stink" in the rinse.

foo
09-12-2007, 00:44
I have one friend who used mouthwash in his boots.

mm_dm
09-12-2007, 10:02
I usually put a small amount of laundry detergent in the water, let them soak in that for a few minutes, then rinse well & soak again using sink the stink in the soak.

dallasdivergirl
09-12-2007, 10:19
I use simple green in the tub wash.

K-Valve
09-12-2007, 10:28
Yep, Simple Green works best IMHO...Sink the Stink works too, but the cheap perfume smell of the product is as bad almost as bad as the smell of the bacteria in your neoprene. :smiley11:

rktman26
09-12-2007, 10:31
I made a "boot dryer". I used a scrap piece of 4x4 about a foot long for the base. Drill 2 holes about 6inches apart. Insert dowel rods into these holes.
To keep the boots open, I cut the tops and bottoms off of 20 oz. water bottles.
I've not had a problem with stinky boots.

DiverBry
09-24-2007, 20:33
Rinsing them out well is the first step. Getting them dry quickly is the second step.

A couple times I forgot to get my boots out of the trunk for a day or two after diving, and when I finally did, it was no fun for anyone.

To recover, I used wetsuit shampoo on them (really worked the lather into the neoprene--inside and out), and then rinsed them. Finally, I poured a capful of Listerine into each boot and made sure all interior surfaces were wet, and then poured it out, and put the boots into a gallon ziplock bag to marinate overnight.

The next day, I just let them air dry... not only did it solve the problem, it seemed to help them resist the funk the next time. :)

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 20:39
Oh man another case of stinky bootie. I just hate it when that happens.

Simple green or mouthwash. I even use mouthwash in my BC..ahhh minty fresh.

Piece of PVC pipe works to help keep them opened up.

Kidder
09-24-2007, 21:24
A boot dryer from wal-mart or cabela's could do the trick once you have them rinsed out with simple green or something similar.

chinacat46
09-24-2007, 22:23
Stop peeing in them and they won't stink.

DevilDiver
09-24-2007, 22:43
There is a fairly new product out in the cleaning section of the grocery store from Clorox called Anywhere. It is an enhanced form of bleach that will not stain fabrics. This product kills 99.9% of germs and bacteria. It is safe to spray on wet suits, boots, BC's(Bladders as well), Reg's, ect......... with no ill effects (stains or fading). Killing germs and bacteria not only gets rid of ant smells but keeps anything from growing on stored equipment as well.

It is so safe they market it to parents to disinfect the newborns toys and such because it is safe enough to spray on a toy and let dry and if the child picked it up and placed it in their mouth it is OK. Daycares use this product to disinfect their centers.........

Give it a try..............:smiley20:

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 15:30

Wish that worked. If you dive quarries or anything that you can get plant life into the boots you stand the chance. I even had a set of Turtle fins start.

Travelnsj
09-25-2007, 17:20

Please tell me that is not from personal experience????:smiley21:

tbuckalew
09-25-2007, 17:40
The suggestion is rinsing well and drying is a good one!

I always rinse my gear (including boots, gloves, hood, etc.) quite well with fresh water. After an ocean dive, I then soak them in a tub and rinse again before hanging up to dry.

At the house, I use 2" PVC to make a cheap hanging rack for all of our gear. For boots and gloves, I simply used an old metal hangar with the ends folded upward. I hang the boots on each end and hang them on the rack. The boots are kept open and allowed to air dry.

Damselfish
09-25-2007, 20:35
The plastic inserts that come in most new fins are great for propping booties open to dry.

somewhereinla
09-25-2007, 20:57
Listerine works very well.

scubamate
09-25-2007, 21:24
I've always had good luck with fabric softener by letting them soak for 5-10 minutes them rinsing well.

Buoyant1
09-26-2007, 11:17
Sink the stink or generic baby shampoo!

annierousey
01-26-2009, 00:36
There is a new product on the market that is easy to use and works better than anything I have tried for curing stinky booties. It is called Booty-Fresh. All you have to do is dump a little into your wet neoprene booties after use, swish it around and leave it. The solution kills bacteria and has a great smell. It is so great that you will be able to leave your booties in the car and your car will smell great. I think that you can go online to buy it if you can't find it in a shop near you.

kjvander
01-26-2009, 10:29
i just bought one of the funky looking hangers when i got mine. works pretty well...

Splitlip
01-26-2009, 11:02
I found this thread helpful and informative.

My Booty stinks. - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/44464-my-booty-stinks.html)

Monkeylemon
01-26-2009, 11:43
A baking soda paste left in the boot for 30 min. can also help with "that smell."

kjvander
01-26-2009, 12:12
well split...if you're booty stinks....you just may need a shower....

acamato
01-26-2009, 13:21
You can also use MiraZyme.

MiraZyme Odor Eliminator reviews and discounts, McNett (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MiraZymeT_Odor_Eliminator)

lund0485
01-26-2009, 14:31
Sink the stink has a bad odor to it. Just dry the boot properly.

shawnwill36
01-27-2009, 07:38
i use MiraZyme and it works great. scuba toys has it very cheap

fldiver
01-30-2009, 19:10
Dive daily, It'll keep them washed out and decrease the smell. :smiley2:

Heavy D
01-30-2009, 21:46
My vote goes to sink the stink for anything what I've found so far, but I might try that new stuff, especially if it will make my car smell better too.

Splitlip
01-30-2009, 22:25
As I related before.

One day I was in the garage handling my stuff, My Mom pulled into the driveway and said "my God, what smells?". I told her it was my booty. She suggested I wash my booty with a hose, then put a "Bounce" fabric softener sheet in my booty.

She then suggested I put my booty in the clothes dryer for a few minutes to get rid of the smell. I did.

While my booty was still damp, I air dried it in the shade. It worked.

Lulubelle
01-30-2009, 22:27
As I related before.

One day I was in the garage handling my stuff, My Mom pulled into the driveway and said "my God, what smells?". I told her it was my booty. She suggested I wash my booty with a hose, then put a "Bounce" fabric softener sheet in my booty.

She then suggested I put my booty in the clothes dryer for a few minutes to get rid of the smell. I did.

Splitlip talks to his mom about his booty....:smiley20:

Diver Kat
01-30-2009, 22:34
As I related before.

Somehow that just doesn't seem right!! :ponder:

Splitlip
01-30-2009, 22:40
No..
She talks to me about my booty.
There's a difference.

LOL. She saw me today checking NOAA for marine conditions. Immediately she said " you are not going out." I said the seas will be 4 to 6 with 9 to 11 in the GS

She said "Huh? No diving with the sharks."

Remember from earlier posts, my Mom bought me the power head when she saw "JAWS!".

She's Italian.

As I related before.

Lulubelle
01-30-2009, 22:45
No..
There's a difference.

Isn't that what I just said? SL talks to mommy about his booty.

dallasdivergirl
01-31-2009, 18:06
What does Momma tell you about your booty?

No..
There's a difference.

Lulubelle
01-31-2009, 18:09
Talks to mamma about his booty, shows Mark his sausage, I think we have cause for concern here. :smiley5:

What does Momma tell you about your booty?

No..
There's a difference.

Diver Kat
01-31-2009, 18:13
Talks to mamma about his booty, shows Mark his sausage, I think we have cause for concern here. :smiley5:

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Lulubelle
02-01-2009, 07:44
And now we also know that he has a purple tank.

It's all good SL, we accept you as you are. :smiley20:

mrm777
02-01-2009, 23:59
Shot of Pinesol....works good.

Splitlip
02-02-2009, 11:01
And now we also know that he has a purple tank.

It's all good SL, we accept you as you are. :smiley20:
Even with a pink wing?

Heavy D
02-02-2009, 17:10
Where the heck did you find a pink wing? That is awesome, it would be great to drive the men in black crazy. LOL

I think my next wing is going to be the digital camo mach 5 though.

Splitlip
02-02-2009, 17:35
Where the heck did you find a pink wing? That is awesome, it would be great to drive the men in black crazy. LOL

I think my next wing is going to be the digital camo mach 5 though.

LOL. Not rally pink. Red. Just a crappy pic. mm2002, clled it pink.

Although actually, Oxycheq used to make the wing in pink.

Jiblets
02-02-2009, 18:04
A couple of pool dives and you'd have an awesome pink wing!

That would be great to DM in. Follow me... I'm the guy in pink with neon yellow fins.:smilie39: