PDA

View Full Version : August 13-15, 2010 LEGENDS OF DIVING Portage Quarry Ohio

tonka97
08-08-2010, 14:43
Homecoming Legends of Diving - Scuba Diving Sponsored by Portage Quarry (http://www.internationallegendsofdiving.com/Weekends/2010/portage_schedule.htm)

Next weekend!! August 13, 14, 15, 2010

:smiley2:

I plan to go.

Hope to see some ST's Forum members there.

Is there a T shirt for our Forum?? If not, there should be!

gNats
08-08-2010, 18:40
I was there last year. It was a lot of fun. Enjoy the weekend. Are you camping?

tonka97
08-08-2010, 19:15
I wussed out...Best Western in Bowling Green.

This will be my first Legends.

gNats
08-09-2010, 13:05
Hahahaha - you did wuss out. Last year, a bunch of us were scheduled to go on a wreck dive up at Alpena Thunder Bay in late August. We had some gear to tune up and decided to go to Portage the week before. We would camp and hang out and tune gear before the wreck dives.

The week of our Portage weekend, someone goes online to Portage and finds out it is the "legends" weekend. Oh oh We think. It's gonna be CROWDED!!! We almost moved to Gilboa, but decided we would get there earlier on Friday and just stick it out.

Several of us of take a 1/2 day on Friday to get down to Portage and get a camping spot near the water's edge. um. Yeah. NO CROWDS all WEEKEND! It was almost a let down. We had one section of the camping area all to ourselves.

Sure, there were people there, but not the hundreds you would assume from reading the web text (good marketing writing there!) They had food, there were raffles, guest speakers, everything they said there would be, except the throngs of divers.

Possibly, this is a great well-kept secret - that there are not that big of crowds. I suspect most people do stay away, for fear of the vis being terrible and the masses of people.

Plan on staying later on Saturday. The presentations on Saturday night were really good last year. The free-diving champion spoke about his career and had a slideshow. Afterwards, they showed some cheesy diving movie with Jessica Alba. That held the guys' attention for about 30 minutes and then even Jessica Alba couldn't help that cheesy B movie.

I would be interested in hearing about the crowds. It rained pretty good on Saturday afternoon last year, maybe that dampened things? I would be shocked if you reported back more than 20 campers in the first-come first served area at the back and more than 100 people at any given time. For Portage, that's not very many people. I've been there on a normal Saturday when there has been way more than that.

tonka97
08-09-2010, 14:20
Thanks for info!

yeah, I was anticipating what you did....huge crowd, and no place to move around/camp.

I may camp, and then hightail it at the proper time to the motel for air conditioning/private bath.

gNats
08-09-2010, 15:58
That's a good idea. I'm sure you've been to Portage before and realize that there is not much shade. Any sunscreens or canopies you bring will instantly make you somebody's new best friend. :)

tonka97
08-09-2010, 18:20
Prepared for that, gNats!

I've been before, probably spring 2004 with the ScubaWV bunch.

I was an overweighted newbie with a overweighted panicky 'buddy'....lucky we survived!

tonka97
08-15-2010, 19:43
Just returned home from the Portage Quarry Legends of SCUBA festival, Portage, Ohio

Anyone who has an interest and respect for SCUBA pioneers, including the Sea Hunt group, would be advised to attend this annual event. It is under-attended, but the guests they bring give us a glimpse into courage, independence, adventure, and devotion to our hobby.

Thank you Portage Quarry, Ohio, for a wonderful weekend of diving and entertainment.

I shed more than one tear during more than one presentation, and left a better person.