PDA

View Full Version : Diving By Yourself

mulefeathers
09-10-2007, 10:19
The situation is this:

I have a new computer I would like to learn and play with. The closest place to me is a quarry about 3 hours from were I live. My normal dive buddies really don't like this place but it has platforms around 25-30 feet. It is not the greatest dive but I figure I could drop down to a platform and learn all of the function of the computer.

The question is:

Do you think this is a reasonable idea and do you think the people that operate the quarry would have a problem with this.

Again I am not wanting to do a full dive just a drop down and learn the computer. After learning the in and outs of the computer I could probably catch up with a class that my LDS is training for a "regular" dive.

chefchris
09-10-2007, 10:23
i would do it. BTW, where do you plan on doing this? I may be able to meet you and supervise. :smiley36:

mulefeathers
09-10-2007, 10:29
The closest place to me is Pelham, AL. We did our check out dive there and it wasn't the best dive. Cold at depths.

I am getting into my busy season and will be working most Saturdays so a one day trip on Sundays is about all I can work out.

hoop
09-10-2007, 18:47
Just curious... Is there a local pool that will let you do this? A local community college has Tuesday night dives where you can come out and practice your skills, clown around, etc...... might save you some drive time..

mulefeathers
09-10-2007, 18:58
Actually My Brother in law ( who is also one of my dive buddies) has a pool in his backyard. I was just trying to get deeper than 9 ft.

The pool we did our OW class in was only 14 feet deep

FishFood
09-10-2007, 19:01
Pelham is an expensive place to dive just to learn the computer. I guess it needs to be done though...

The folks at the quarry dont care. In fact, just dive at the platforms off to the right of the parking lot and they wont even notice....

Oh! Last time i was in Pehlam, I saw a guy in doubles doing a solo dive at one of the shallower platforms working on his trim & bouancy (if that makes you feel better)

Liv7301
09-10-2007, 23:07
As long as you feel secure by yourself at the platform and feel confident that you can execute a emergency swimming ascent in place of having redundant air, and handle any situations that come up while still making a controlled safe ascent, I say go for it. I think you get a better sense how it would work on a dive at some depth below 15 ft so you can see how it deals with ascents/descents, features, safety stops, etc.

Capt Hook
09-10-2007, 23:53
Seems to me you are pretty new for any kind of solo diving.

plot
09-11-2007, 17:11
yea, while solo diving is something i certaintly don't frown upon, i think you might be a little new to be trying it outside of a pool.

most queries won't allow it either, to much liability.

what exactly do you need to learn on your computer? unless you're doing multigas dives, once you jump in the water, you should never have to touch the thing... should just have to look at it and see how much bottom time you have left, your depth, etc... underwater you shouldn't have to tinker with the thing at all.

BobbyWombat
09-12-2007, 11:03
I'm with those who have voiced that it sounds premature to effectively do a "solo" dive. For me personally, I wouldn't do this.

I would choose either between a pool dive (my LDS does "fun" dives in the local olympic size pool. Comforable setting, and deep enough for your computer to kick into dive mode) OR just get a buddy and go do a regular dive. About the only thing you would do underwater w/ your computer is turn on the backlight or change the display. Not a big learning curve there.

Last question: does your computer have a "demo" mode? My Veo250 lets me simulate a dive while sitting on my living room couch. I can see all the displays and get familar with the information presented, without getting wet. This is a great way to learn your computer before going out for real.

-BW