PDA

View Full Version : Masks

Mtrewyn
09-10-2007, 10:22
any thoughts on brands? styles? I know that it is very personal but input is good.

I need to replace an old aqualung Hawaii 4, it has started leaking like mad, in my last few dives, since it is 13ish years old maybe it is time to retire.

WV Diver
09-10-2007, 10:35
I'd say forget about brand and styles and concentrate on the best fit you can find in a good silicone mask. Masks are very high on the list of the most important piece of dive equipment you own. It can make or break your diving. Spend the time trying them on and who cares what brand you end up with.

As soon as I found the one I wanted I bought two so I would have a spare. And because you never know if you will be able to find a replacement as styles tend to change over time and old ones become obsolete.

Foo2
09-10-2007, 10:45
I totally agree with WV Diver. I went to Coz in July and because I had an ill-fitting mask, I missed half of my second dive. It's a very popular mask and looks cool ;) but it doesn't fit my face well. I just went to ST and got a new one that I think will work much better. It was so nice to be able to try on the masks and make sure that they will work.

wxboy911
09-10-2007, 11:03
I dive a Cressib Big Eye...

http://www.cressi.it/easyStore/SchedeVedi.asp?ProdottiID=17

It fits well and the lenses are tilted in at the bottom so its easier to see the front of your BC. It works well for a new diver like me still learning where all the gear is laying.

Capt Hook
09-10-2007, 11:11
Fit is much more important than brand.

WV Diver
09-10-2007, 11:13
I totally agree with WV Diver.

:smiley20: Such a smart girl. :smiley2:

greyzen
09-10-2007, 12:08
Get a nice comfy mask with a black skirt *unless you LIKE showing off your scuba boogers* and get the double panes instead of the big single pane... makes clearing it a lot easier :D

Like these (just my 2psi)
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AtomicMasks

CompuDude
09-10-2007, 14:40
Low volume masks are easier to clear. I am a big fan of the teardrop shape lenses, as they make it easier to glance down at your gear (and gauges).

I also prefer a black skirt... but that is more personal preference... there is a current thread on that issue with opinions on both sides.

Beyond that, however, FIT is far more important than any other feature. A mask is a very basic thing... it creates an air pocket in front of your face with glass panels you can see through, no matter what style and what brand. Find several (if you can, else find ONE!) that do not leak, and THEN start comparing features.

greyzen
09-10-2007, 14:58
We love low volume masks... they are awesome.

My wife got a single pan and she always glares at me when I clear faster and easier than she can :D

kevinj1
09-11-2007, 21:38
I agree with all of the threads above.
I want to try this mask on next--i dont know why, but it looks cool to me.
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresDemonMask