PDA

View Full Version : Six years ago today

georoc01
09-10-2007, 11:52
I was in NYC, getting on a plane to Denver. I was living in San Francisco at the time, going to work in our Denver Colorado office. It was a 7pm flight, and evening thunderstorms pushed our take off time till around midnight.

I landed in Denver about 2:30am, caught a cab to my hotel. It was the last time I saw the towers.

I almost did that trip again this year, to catch my football team's opener, but the idea of flying back to Denver today just stopped me.

Of all the events in my life, I have never been so lucky not to be on one of the ill fated flights that left JFK about 7 hours later.

yankeefan21
09-10-2007, 12:01
Six years ago today I was going about business as usual. I had dinner reservations at Windows on the World for my next trip in to NYC later that month. I was going to meet up with some friends, catch dinner, spend the night, and catch an early show on Broadway.

greyzen
09-10-2007, 12:11
I was staring at my television wondering what had gone wrong with the rest of the world.

yankeefan21
09-10-2007, 12:15
I was staring at my television wondering what had gone wrong with the rest of the world.
That was probably 6 years ago tomorrow - or you had a HECK of a premonition. :smiley2:

lucidblue
09-10-2007, 12:39
I was on "cloud 9" and trying to hide it. 3rdEye and I had gone on our first date over the weekend, but since we worked together at a small company we were trying to keep it quiet.

Wouldn't have thought in a million years that the next morning planes would be crashing into the WTC.

Osprey
09-10-2007, 12:47
I was in astronomy class when a teacher in a neighboring classroom came in screaming something about the news, when we turned it on, a plane smashed into the second tower

My uncle did not get on a plane heading to New York that day. Thank God

creggur
09-10-2007, 12:57
Going about life as usual......Never suspecting..

quarrydiver
09-10-2007, 20:08
Thinking the world was a relatively peaceful place.

scuba Widow
09-10-2007, 20:49
I was working for Universal Orlando....wondering what in the world went wrong and if there were going to be more and wanting nothing more than to get in touch with my family.

yankeefan21
09-11-2007, 08:49
Six years ago today I was late for work because I couldn't peel myself away from the television screen. It felt like it was the end of the world or the beginning of WWIII.

Like so many others, I was making frantic phone calls to my friends in the tower or in the fire department only to be greeted with an all circuits are busy message. I was holding my girlfriend in complete shock while she wept. It was something I will never forget.

Who else remembers the weird silence of no planes overhead at all?

dallasdivergirl
09-11-2007, 08:52
Six years ago today I was late for work because I couldn't peel myself away from the television screen. It felt like it was the end of the world or the beginning of WWIII.

Like so many others, I was making frantic phone calls to my friends in the tower or in the fire department only to be greeted with an all circuits are busy message. I was holding my girlfriend in complete shock while she wept. It was something I will never forget.

Who else remembers the weird silence of no planes overhead at all?

I was living next to DFW at the time, it was nuts not to see the plane flying over. I normally rode my bike around the outer ring of the airport but I didn't for a while. Things were pretty tense there.

Disneymom
09-11-2007, 08:58
I, and the rest of my co-workers sat in our kitchen in numb horror and shock over what was happening in the northeast. I remember the gas price hype and the long lines at the pumps in the hours after. I recall worrying about the rest of my family, where were off at work and school - not knowing what was going to happen next, nor when, nor where.

Who else remembers the weird silence of no planes overhead at all? I do. It was very odd.

Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of those whose lives were lost 6 years ago today.

wxboy911
09-11-2007, 09:01
I sat watching Barney with my oldest son until it was time to go a meeting. As soon as the radio went on in the Jeep there was no turning it off. Stunned to say the least.

TAH 73
09-11-2007, 09:12
I was actually working on a Canadian military base, where there was a very interesting situation, all the civilian workers were on strike, and I was designated "essential personnel" so I was there babysitting a bunch of high school, university, and kids on a YMCA job creation program. We were sitting in the mess hall eating breakfast watching CNN when it all went down. When the 2nd plane hit, I still remember it clearly, one of the students looked at me and asked "What does this mean ?" I calmly replied "It means we better finish our breakfast quick as our lives are about to get complicated" 15 min later they had armed guards at all the entrances of the base, and we spent time loading DART (disaster assistance relief team) that was getting set to deploy to NYC if needed. We then readied the base to get locked down and a few passenger planes landed.

Foo2
09-11-2007, 09:38
I was in the car about 5 minutes from work. I was listening to the radio when it was announced that the first plane hit the WTC. When I got to work, I rushed into my bosses office to find all of my co-workers huddled around a radio. Not long after, they announced the 2'nd plane. We sat there in horor as they announced the colapsing of the WTC and then the 3'rd & the 4'th planes that hit. I looked up at my friend and said, "This isn't gonna stop, is it." Later that day my boss brought a small T.V. in and we all sat there and watched the recaps of that days events. So terrible, so senseless. All for what?

Harshal
09-11-2007, 09:59
Six years ago on this day around 8.00 clock I was in Dallas on my way to class, don’t remember wht class it was and as usual was listening to NPR. Once I heard 2nd plane crashed, I just started calling all the friends and relatives that I know were in the area.
Today after six years of the incident at same time I was on my way to work listening to NPR……..

georoc01
09-11-2007, 10:06
Well, the day of the attack I had made it to my hotel room at 3:00am. I got up at 8:30am and rushed over to our office tower (my office is on the 37th floor of a 42 story building). Its 9:00am on a Tuesday, and my company's offices were completely empty. Everyone had been sent home. I hopped on a computer to check my email and found out what was going on. I immediately called my family in NY to let them know that I was ok. Getting through was a pain, but finally was able to. I went back to my hotel room and watched for about an hour. Then went for a walk.

Now all planes are grounded and I am stranded in Denver for a week, so I bought a condo and moved here. Been here ever since.

jwdizney
09-11-2007, 10:11
i was running late for work, and heard the first attack on the radio.. after I got to work, we were still thiking 'freak airline accident' when the second came... we started a prayer circle and sat together for what seemed like forever! we panicked about gas prices, and all ran out and filled our cars up. we checked on our families.... we were stunned and helpless...

I think as a country, we were all stunned and helpless...but we were united... it was incredible to see how brother reached out to brother, and all our differences were put aside as we faced this great catastrophe as 'One Nation, Under God, Indivisible'

Charlotte Smith
09-11-2007, 10:43
I was in bed with a migraine and could only stand to look at the tv for a little while but I remember..........can't think of anyone who doesn't.....

finflippers
09-11-2007, 21:41
I was in central Florida at that time and working that day driving a delivery truck. I was in the middle of making a delivery to a customer when he came out and told me that a plane had hit one of the towers then a few minutes later he came back out and let me know that the second tower had been hit. I hurried up with my delivery so I could get back in my truck to listen to the news on the radio.

That was the worst feeling I have ever felt and even to this day it is hard to remember back to that day without feeling sad and angry about that day.

quarrydiver
09-11-2007, 23:10
I remember feeling denial, and when the second plane hit I knew things would never be the same.

MissDirected
09-11-2007, 23:42
I was called by my bf then turned on the TV. I still had my robe on, it was black silk, i had just bought it. I sat on the end of my bed staring at the TV and cried most of the day. I didn't change clothes until way later that day.

Today I was at the court house and mentioned something about the date today to a lady that was notarizing some paperwork for me, she hadn't remembered. :icon_cry:

Black-Gorrilla
09-12-2007, 17:08
2nd Perion Science. Mr. Baker. i was walking back to class from a bathroom break, and saw it on TV and told Mr. Baker what was up, he turned on the TV and we watched for pretty much the rest of the day...
3rd Period with Mr. Jones for english.... and then a bunch of people started getting picked up by frightend parents.... i stayed.

lucidblue
09-12-2007, 18:43
I was called by my bf then turned on the TV. I still had my robe on, it was black silk, i had just bought it. I sat on the end of my bed staring at the TV and cried most of the day. I didn't change clothes until way later that day.

Today I was at the court house and mentioned something about the date today to a lady that was ontarizing some paperwork for me, she hadn't remembered. :icon_cry:

Wow... this is the problem. I don't understand how anyone could forget.

On the actual day, I was at work. I forget how I heard that the first plane hit, I think someone was listening to Howard Stern and thought he was joking around. Then I went back to 3rdEye's office and heard Howard's shock as he was watching the 2nd plane hit from his building and trying to say what happened. I think I remember him just repeating talking in shock. Definitely knew he wasn't joking then. We all tried to get on the news web sites and it was almost impossible to get through. Then I started calling each member of my family and my grandmother to see if she had heard from my aunts since they live in Manhatten. Nobody could do anything but listen to the radio and look at the news on the web. Our stupid boss wanted us to continue on with business as usual. That's when I lost respect for him. I mean first of all we're all in shock, as is the country and what if we call a client and they had family that was involved? I was furious with him. I just sat there and finally left early, but wish I had just left right away and gone home to be with my parents, brothers and sister.

Liv7301
09-12-2007, 19:28
I was still living in Northern New York State and working on my Masters degree. I had slept in since I didn't have class that day until last in the afternoon. My future husband and our apartment mate had long since left for classes. By the time I was out of the shower and then sat down to check my email. The college had sent out an email canceling classes "due to events taking place in New York City and Washington DC." I had no idea what they were taking about and turned on the tv to CNN. I ended up going to campus anyway and I joined a very large group of fellow music students sitting around in the cafe area in our building watching the news and comforting those that had family in the immediate area of the towers and didn't know if they were ok yet.

JahJahwarrior
09-12-2007, 20:01
I'm a day late.....

....but I was in 6th grade,if I remember right, and none of our teachers told us a thing. I didn't know about it until my friend's dad picked us both upa fter school, and we thought he was joking.

And I didn't understand the world then like I do now, if it hadhappened now I would probably have sat around all day crying. It didn't seem like as big of a deal to a 6th grader.

Only one of my teacher's at Uni said anything about it yesterday, and he played music before and after class that was patriotic in nature and talked about it for a few minutes at the beginning of class. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but he had a pretty funny story. He's a businessman, and was on his way from from someplace, and somehow the flight was routed oddly and he had a layover only an hour or two away from the major airport he needed to be at (cannot remember which airports....), and then they wouldn't let the plane take off, and he needed to be back home, so he tried to rent a car. All those were rented. At the time though, he was doing business work forRyder trucks, and he pulled some strings and rented a Ryder truck along with his business partner to drive to the other airport in, so he could get his car from that airport and drive home. When he showed up at this major airport in a Ryder truck, he and the other guy were put in handcuffs. Apparently he still hadn't gottne the whole story, he thought it was just a plane crash (not a big fan of the radio I guess), so he had no clue why he was in a cop car in handcuffs. But the cops drove him to his car and searched the entire car before letting him go.....

Some people don't think it's a big deal, but we were attacked. I'll always pay homage to my soldiers and fellow countrymen on days like Pearl Harbor and the WTC attacks, and I think we should all take those days to bond as a country and rally together as one Nation, under God, Indivisible with Liberty and Justice for all.

georoc01
09-12-2007, 21:11
I was still living in Northern New York State and working on my Masters degree. I had slept in since I didn't have class that day until last in the afternoon. My future husband and our apartment mate had long since left for classes. By the time I was out of the shower and then sat down to check my email. The college had sent out an email canceling classes "due to events taking place in New York City and Washington DC." I had no idea what they were taking about and turned on the tv to CNN. I ended up going to campus anyway and I joined a very large group of fellow music students sitting around in the cafe area in our building watching the news and comforting those that had family in the immediate area of the towers and didn't know if they were ok yet.

Northern NY State? SUNY Potsdam grad here! Not much up in Northern NY other than some cattle and schools.