PDA

View Full Version : Do you own the Dangerous Book for Boys?

Doghouse
09-10-2007, 12:39
http://www.dangerousbookforboys.com/

Do you have this book? If not, why not! I had forgotten so many of the great things that are in this book. Check out the trailer for what is inside.

cgvmer
09-10-2007, 14:59
I had not heard about this book. But as I am still involved in Scouting, I have done most of the items shown in the trailer with in recent years.

Ajuva
09-10-2007, 16:11
Haven't read these yet but he just wrote the most accesible rise of Julius Ceasar books I have ever read.

It's like history with a fictional twist.

Definitely worth a read.

Emperor series.

mm_dm
09-10-2007, 16:23
http://www.dangerousbookforboys.com/

Do you have this book? If not, why not! I had forgotten so many of the great things that are in this book. Check out the trailer for what is inside.

We just got this for my son- he thinks he's pretty hot stuff now with all this 'dangerous knowledge'. It's a pretty cool book.

wxboy911
09-10-2007, 20:11
I don't have it yet but its now on my list!

Theepdinker
09-11-2007, 00:19
I voted no.
I've pretty much lived what I saw.
Happy for it too.

Theep

JCAT
09-11-2007, 05:11
Grew up in rural Alabama, lots of travel with military and then put down stakes in South Carolina. I could write a chapter or two for that book.

Some of the things we made when I was a boy, like Tennis ball cannons, might land someone a visit from police these days.......sigh

meesier42
09-12-2007, 19:24
sounds like a good toy. although I have to say that I would probably get myself into a lot of trouble having that around

WaScubaDude
09-13-2007, 14:23
Could have written a few chapters... At 11 my buddy & I found a huge box of blasting caps. He was not the brightest bulb, I had to pick pieces of a coffee can out of his back. We strung more wire together to get a safe distance behind the picknick table "bunker" and proceeded to blow sh!t up!
Still brings a smile to my face. And yes I do still have all my digits.

fire diver
10-16-2007, 10:39
I just bought the book for my son. He's six now, but the book is there when he's ready. It really is a great compilation of info. All the stuff I did and made as a kids are in there, plus a lot of good general knowledge. History, Grammar, Literature, etc.

FD

MSilvia
10-16-2007, 10:54
The American Boys Handibook is really good too, although about 200 years old. It has cool stuff like how to make your own ice sailboat, and how to make a hot air balloon out of tissue paper and rig it with roman candle flares.

Looks like it's unavailable on Amazon, but MAKE magazine has it in their book store: http://store.makezine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKABHBK

RECDiver
10-16-2007, 11:33
I've never heard of the book.

RoadRacer1978
10-16-2007, 11:37
Never heard of it, but after watching the trailer I might get one. Could have some fun projects for me and my boys to do together.

DUnder
10-16-2007, 11:47
I have not heard of it before, looks like I will put it on my must read list. Thanks for the info.

Clanggedin
10-16-2007, 15:31
Thanks for the link! I just ordered one for my son who turns 9 in Nov. I don't know if I can wait that long though.

Iceman
10-16-2007, 16:59
Almost made me cry to think that things that were just part of my childhood everyday world now are so lost that someone has to write a teaching book about them.

BuzzF117
10-16-2007, 17:29
Get your sons involved with the BSA and they will do almost all of those things and more....I have even heard that scuba is taught during Boy Scouts

nuf said
Buzz

fire diver
10-16-2007, 18:45
Almost made me cry to think that things that were just part of my childhood everyday world now are so lost that someone has to write a teaching book about them.

Just do YOUR part to teach the new generation.

Clanggedin
10-16-2007, 18:52
Get your sons involved with the BSA and they will do almost all of those things and more....I have even heard that scuba is taught during Boy Scouts

nuf said
Buzz

You have to be at least 16 before you can learn Scuba under BSA rules... A small percentage of what is in that book is allowed by the BSA.

Doug B
10-16-2007, 21:01

nuf said
Buzz

My son was in BSA for two years. Well, I guess not Boy Scouts.. but the first two years of scouting, whatever they're called.

After a couple of den (pack?) meetings where they were given crayons and a photocopied sheet to color.... uh...... and the other where they played frisbee for the whole meeting..... uh...... and kids running around in total chaos during the other meetings..... uh....what a joke.

Don't forget to sell thousands of dollars in popcorn!

I was never in scouts as a kid, hope it was better "back then" than it was just a couple of years ago. I wasn't impressed at all.

Iceman
10-16-2007, 21:05

Just do YOUR part to teach the new generation.

Just what I needed, being preached at by someone who hasn't a clue. Thanks.

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 20:03
A great read!