PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Florida Dive Spots

scubasavvy
09-10-2007, 12:44
Hey there guys,

What are your favorite Florida dive spots. I'm going to visit someone in Naples, which is a really nice area soon. I have access to Marco Island and the chain of islands surrounding it via boat, but I would like everyone's input. I could also do the Keys while I'm down there. Any suggestions?

Capt Hook
09-10-2007, 13:09
Hit the Keys and the WPB area!

Black-Gorrilla
09-10-2007, 15:03
most of the spots off of the keys are great...
snapper ledge
molasses reef
horseshoe reef
the Spiegel Grove (aow, about 130' deep)
the Christ statue

Stingray Brett
09-10-2007, 15:09
The jax in dania beach its a shore dive!

iboost
09-11-2007, 13:26
I have to agree w/ Black Gorilla above. Of my dives, my faves were in Key Largo. We dove Molasses Reef w/ Horizon Divers (great crew) and the experience was absolutely amazing. My wife and I are looking forward to going back within a few weeks for more.

-Al

tremtech
09-11-2007, 14:18
Keys Pennencamp reef,Tennessee reef, Coffins patch reef , Sombraro reef . if you are spearing Gulf side near Long key bridge. Nice Grouper

scubasavvy
09-12-2007, 09:17
Thanks for your help! I've always wanted to see the Christ of the Abyss in the Keys...is the real one still in Italy? ...All I know is it has something to do with Cressi-Sub or the founder or something.

CrzyJay456
09-12-2007, 23:59
i like almost anything off of the keys. yet to have a bad dive. worst vis ever was about 30 feet.

marchand
09-22-2007, 17:51
I found the Keys a bit boring…the reefs at least. I am never going to dive a reef again unless I am going for fish or bugs…if I get married I guess I'll get dragged down there.

I liked the wreck that I dove though.

cheebaweebie
10-01-2007, 11:47
Love the keys but Since I live in Clearwater Florida, I dive the artificial reefs in the gulf often. If the viz is right, there can be some awesome dives in the gulf. Once the water cools off the viz gets MUCH better

ccarter
10-01-2007, 12:19
Thanks for your help! I've always wanted to see the Christ of the Abyss in the Keys...is the real one still in Italy? ...All I know is it has something to do with Cressi-Sub or the founder or something.
I did that dive.. probably one of the better dives in the Keys I did.

datamunk
10-06-2007, 09:14
i prefer to dive west palm or jupiter... just because i hate anchor diving, id rather let the current take me where it wants and come up whenever and wherever when im ready :)

Scubastud16
10-07-2007, 23:41
I'm from Naples, and unfortunately there isn't much.

You're gonna be on a long boat ride out to find anything decent and deep. Big fish, low vis, and rough seas (most of the time). I've been told 12-15 feet hammerheads out at some of the buoys and oil rigs.

As far as shore diving goes, there isn't much. Your best bet is to head to either Ft. Lauderdale, or the Keys.

In Ft. Lauderdale, check out "American Dream" with Capt. Todd. One of my favorites!

Danny

Dive-aholic
10-08-2007, 19:42
I prefer the springs over anything else. Unlimited visibility, constant temperature, beautiful formations, and no hear to rinse afterwards! For salt water diving, I'd have to choose the shore diving off Lauderdale. Lots to see in just 15-20' of water.

Kokomo
10-08-2007, 19:47
Love the Keys! French Reef has some cool swim throughs. Saw a hammerhead at Wench Hole on Molasses Reef!

Kokomo
10-08-2007, 20:08

There is a plaque on the bottom in memory of michael Kevorkian - yes I think he was the Cressi founder.

cudachaser
10-09-2007, 08:54
The upper Keys are my overall favorite place, but Lauderdale by the Sea has great beach diving and when the ocean is really clear the Wabasso beach dive is pretty spectacular, big sharks, canons and artifacts from the 1715 fleet that sank in a hurricane. I even found a gold piece there!

BobArnold8265
10-11-2007, 12:19
I thought diving in Key Largo was excellent. The Benwood was my favorite wreck. The Speigel Grove is also always a good dive.

sidneydiver
10-15-2007, 22:55
I love diving the wrecks in the Keys, but the majority of my diving is done in Jupiter. Beautiful reefs and easy drift diving.

Scubastud16
10-15-2007, 23:46
I also like the Tracy Wreck (Ken Vitale) in Ft. Lauderdale.

jbsjohn
08-26-2008, 12:50
Near the small town of Williston, this fern-draped sinkhole offers a unique geological setting and was actually once thought by early settlers to be the den of hell, as steam rising from the warm waters in winter does bear resemblance to its name. Divers know better, as do snorkelers and swimmers who enter the open steps from this window above to enjoy the underground basin 60 feet below.
--------------
Jbsjohn

Florida Alcohol Addiction Treatment (http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/florida)

bobmirko
04-05-2009, 08:10
Hi,

I know that this thread is old but I will appreciate your help if you can.

I plan a trip at mid august to keys island and an other one for end of december this year.

If someone know a good place to rest and a good charter/guide place to do business with I will appreciate your help!

Thanks a lot!

Fireplug
04-06-2009, 20:14
I have had good luck staying at the Keys Motel which is right next door to Florida Keys Dive Center. Not the Hilton but clean, nice staff. Conch Republic Divers is across the street. Methinks this is Tavenier, just south of Key Largo. Both dive shops mentioned do a good job. However, Captain Jorge at Conch is FANTASTIC!!! Tons of experience and honest advise, if you are a newer diver, he'll watch out for you. Divemaster Jason is excellent also.

At Key Largo, Captain Slate's has excellent staff but his boats are a bit shopworn. I hated the gangplank deal they used. Great staff, Divemasters Skip and Chris are both excellent. Do the Creature Feature. Go to Speargirl - Vacation Rentals (http://www.speargirl.com) Becky will help you out with accomodations.

pir8
04-06-2009, 21:07
I would recomend the Blue heron bridge. Its not in the Keys but its well worth the trip up North to w palm

Huckleberry
04-08-2009, 21:01
I stayed in Florida City at the Travel Lodge. It's 20 miles from Key Largo, but was only $55.00 a night. Did the creature feature with Capt. Slate's Dive Center out of Key Largo. I plan on doing again in the near future.

bobmirko
04-11-2009, 10:21
Thanks a lot for your advice it will really help. If you have other suggestion for me please don't hesitate.

Thanks a lot again to all!!!