PDA

View Full Version : Crab

cmburch
08-24-2010, 14:43
Old Bay Crab Cakes

2 slices bread, with the crusts removed (I use milk to moisten bread)
OLD BAY Crab Cake Classic Seasoning
2 teaspoons parsley (Fresh is best, I have also substituted about 1/2 teaspoon tarragon or Herbes de Provence)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I do not use)
1 tablespoon favorite brand mayonnaise (I do not use Mayo.)
1 fresh egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
2 teaspoons OLD BAY SEASONING
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1 pound fresh lump crab meat

Break bread into small pieces in large bowl. Mix in mayonnaise (I do not use Mayo, but moisten bread with milk), OLD BAY Seasoning, parsley, mustard and egg. Stir in crabmeat. Shape mixture into patties.

Broil 10 minutes without turning or fry until golden brown on both sides.
Sprinkle the hot crab cakes with additional OLD BAY Seasoning, if desired.

Since I do not use Mayo, an oil must be used when broiling. Can drizzle some light olive oil on crab cake.

For a crisper crab cake, drop in flour or batter before frying.

cmburch
08-24-2010, 14:48
Old Bay Steamed Crabs

For each dozen crabs,
water and apple vinegar (some use beer also - I would rather drink it)
2 1/2 tablespoons OLD BAY SEASONING
3 tablespoons salt ( I do not use salt)

Pot with raised rack. Add equal quantities water and vinegar to just below level of rack. Layer crabs; sprinkle each layer with mixture of OLD BAY SEASONING and salt. Cover and steam until crabs are red.

cmburch
08-24-2010, 16:08
Phil's Fish Market Cioppino Recipe from Hannah (http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1580535-Phil-s-Fish-Market-Cioppino)

YouTube - Phil's Fish Market Cioppino (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xotecx-0czc&NR=1)

I like to add More Crab, More Shrimp, More Spice- Paprika.
Best fish Lingcod, Cabezon, Halibut.
I do not like California mussels. They taste like iron to me. Might as well add a railroad spike to the mix in my opinion, so I leave them out. I do like green-lipped mussels though.

Served with San Francisco Sourdough garlic bread, a large Caesar salad, and lots of love!

John Yaskowich
08-25-2010, 10:43
Cheese & Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

1 lb. (2 pt.) fresh mushrooms
2 tbsp. onion, chopped
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. soft bread cubes
1/4 c. crab, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. white wine (or cooking sherry)
1/2 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded

Remove stems from mushrooms and set CAPS aside; chop STEMS. In small skillet, sauté onion and chopped stems in butter until tender. Add bread cubes and crab; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until lightly brown. Add salt, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Fill mushroom caps with bread stuffing. Place in 9 inch square or shallow baking dish. Pour wine around caps. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Top with cheese. Continue baking 8 to 10 minutes until cheese melts. (To make ahead, prepare, cover and refrigerate. Bake as directed.) Serves 6 to 8.

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

25 lg. mushrooms
1 green onion
1 stick butter
1 tsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 c. half and half cream
4 oz. flaked crabmeat
4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, cut in small pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

Rinse mushrooms, but do not soak. Carefully remove stems. Mince enough stems to make 1/2 cup. Mince the onion. Sauté the minced mushroom and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until all liquid evaporated. Add a pinch of salt and parsley, mix well. Let cool. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over low heat. Add flour and cook 5 minutes until it is a gravy like consistency. Slowly add the cream. Mixture will thicken to a doughy consistency. Cook about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool. In a bowl combine the mushroom mixture, flour mixture and the crab meat. Mix well. Melt the remaining butter and coat each mushroom cap. Place stuffing in each cap and top with a small piece of cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, until bubbly hot and golden brown.