PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp

cmburch
08-24-2010, 13:56
Shrimp Kabobs

Marinade - I like Greek seasoning (Penzeys Spice Co.) with red wine or balsamic vinegar and light olive oil. A good Italian dressing will work.
Dry Seasoning - I like a spicy rub that gives more heat. I use Cajun, Paprika, or crushed hot peppers.
Vegetables - Portabella Mushrooms, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Sweet Maui Onion, Colorful Red Green Yellow Orange Bell Peppers. Costco has multicolored bell peppers.
Rosemary Skewers from the garden.
Barbecue or Gas Grill - I prefer charcoal briquettes or a light smoking wood such as apple wood or wine soaked oak.

Marinate cleaned gutted shrimp in a plastic zip-lock bag for a couple of hours or more. Rub shrimp with dry seasoning before skewering. Cut vegetables so they are easy to skewer and cook fast on grill. In a bowl, pour a light olive oil over cut vegetables and season if desired. Place shrimp and vegetables on Rosemary skewers. Toss wet smoking wood on hot coals and close lid. Cook on about medium high heat until shrimp is pink and not translucent anymore.

Serve with rice and salad.

For dip and rice. 2 parts soy sauce, 1 part dry white wine, minced garlic, chopped green onion, a little grated ginger. Some use 1 part fish sauce, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part wine. Some add sugar.

San Francisco sourdough garlic bread.
Cut loaf in half and place on grill until lightly toasted. In separate pot, melt butter with minced garlic and chopped parsley. Brush on lightly toasted bread. Place bread face down on grill until garlic slightly toasted about a minute.

Kimbo
08-24-2010, 23:06
OMG that sounds so good! When is dinner?!

cmburch
08-26-2010, 11:01
Cleaned Shrimp
Byriani Paste or Dry Spices
Butter or Light Olive Oil
Minced Shallots or Sweet Onion
1 or more Garlic Cloves
Chopped Green Onions and Cilantro if desired
Vegetable - Pea Pods, Broccoli, Asparagus, Bell Pepper, etc.
Dry Vermouth - Omit if not desired
Basmati Rice

This is a hearty dish that is easy to make and goes well at any Get Together or Potluck.

Cook Basmati rice - I steam it in a rice cooker. Boiling gives it a better consistency.

Blanch vegetables until about half cooked. I like pea pods and asparagus or broccoli.

Sauté minced sweet onion in butter or light olive oil until translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté until lightly browned.

Place cleaned gutted shrimp in a bowl and mix with light olive oil. If using dry Byriani spices, rub them on at this time.

Stir fry vegetables in light olive oil, add a little dry vermouth to deglaze then set aside.

If using Byriani paste, add light olive oil or butter to stir fry pan then add paste and mix well while heating. Stir fry shrimp in the pan on medium heat. When the shrimp are cooked, stir in the already cooked onion and garlic. Add large spoonfuls of cook Basmati rice and mix all together. Turn off heat after adding rice. Stir in vegetables. Add chopped green onion and or cilantro if desired.

The Byriani seasoning is coating the shrimp, onion, garlic and coloring part of the rice, but not necessarily the vegetables.

If not enough moisture during frying add a little dry vermouth to deglaze pan. Leave alcohol out if not desired. Dry Vermouth gives a good flavor to the vegetables. I use it in many of my dishes, especially seafood and pastas.