PDA

View Full Version : Motivation

pnevai
09-10-2007, 20:07
This thread was prompted by a comment posted on the narcosis thread. Some valid reasons that can be given to deep diving would be wreck exploration, salvage, cave exploration. So these activities aside what other reason is there for going deep. The vast majority of life to be seen in the oceans and in lakes for that matter exists in the first 60 feet of the water column. Below that depth the inhabitants start to thin out, this is especially true of corals, most of which depend on bright sunlight to survive. So what are your motivations other than the mountain climbers stock answer "Because it's there" Seems to me that in some circles there is a one upsmanship when it comes to how deep you've gone. Wrecks aside, I've been to 147 ft. and found it a rather boring place.

crosseyed95
09-10-2007, 21:11
[quote=pnevai;49262]wreck exploration, salvage, cave exploration. So these activities aside what other reason is there for going deep. The vast majority of life to be seen in the oceans and in lakes for that matter exists in the first 60 feet of the water column. quote]

The only deep water by me is the Great Lakes. The only thing I have to look at are wrecks.... I see where you are going and I've seen lots of posts on SB (one recently) about the macho "I've gone deeper than you". There was reply that made the comment: (something like) what sport doesn't have individuals who always try to one-up everyone else. I run the 1/4 mile at.. I've climbed to... My car goes... I've come to accept that they will always be out there and just stay away from them. I've got nothing to prove to anyone. I know my limits and dive for myself.

Another quote from SB that stood out (something like): "I'm a better diver than the rest of you. I dive to have fun and I have more fun there everyone else!!" I loved that reply...

in_cavediver
09-10-2007, 21:21
First, I am mostly a cave diver who also dives wrecks. My saltwater knowledge is small.

Now, Pyle for whom Pyle stops are named is a marine biologist who has specialized in deep reefs, looking at the sponge reefs, uniquely adapted fish etc. Many of his dives (on CCRs) are in the 200'-400' range. To say there is nothing there is a bit flawed.

Me though, I dive deep to see things. They could be caves, wrecks or whatnot. I won't just go dive deep to dive deep.

Last question - which is a thread of itself. Define deep? Then define where the line is where you won't go without a clear goal?

PADI defines deep as below 60'. Deep to me is below 75-80' where I pretty much won't go without redundant equipment. Really deep is below 130'. Now, I'll go poke around at 100-120' on a dive without much of a 'mission' other than to swim around. I won't do that for a dive below 130+. That dive has to have a goal and lots more planning.

CompuDude
09-11-2007, 00:56
I don't go deep unless there is something I want to see there.

End of story.

Phestr
09-11-2007, 06:55
I don't go deep unless there is something I want to see there.

End of story.

Agreed. There just isn't enough time at that depth to make it worth while unless there is a specific reason.

gtjason2000
09-11-2007, 07:25
Larger animals tend to be found deeper.

Capt Hook
09-11-2007, 07:59
Try to skip deep dives, diving single AL 80s there just isn't enough bottom time.

wxboy911
09-11-2007, 09:27
There are some wrecks I would like to see eventually but I dont think really deep dives are in my future.

skdvr
09-11-2007, 11:01
For me the motivation would be to see wrecks... There are some in the local lakes that I would like to see as well as up in the Great Lakes. For the most part I like staying in the 20 to 45 ft range to see the fish in the lake below that there really is nothing. One dive spot I hit between 80 and 90 just looking for lost stuff from cliff jumpers above, other than that most dive spots I stay up higher. I like the time I can have in the water in the more shallow depths.

I guess the other reason that I would like to go deep is for the knowledge. I am the type of person that likes to know everything that I can about something that I am participating in. I am not however the type of person that will go do something just to do it. If someone said that they could take me to 150 and as long as I stuck with them I would be fine I would not do it because I have no idea what in the heck I am doing down there. I want to knowledge to be able to do deco but that will be in the future. I only have 30 something dives and do not think that this is just a matter of decending and coming back up, just like going to 30 and back. I do want the knowledge and I will get there one day but when I am ready and when my wife does not realize what classes I am taking :)

Phil

brandon
09-11-2007, 13:13
For local diving, we tend to stick right around 80 feet or so. We haven't found much to see below this depth - the bottom tends to change to sand below that depth and not much to see.

Hopped down to 90 feet the other day trying to see if the crab were hiding deeper, but no such luck.

If we find something deeper worth seeing, we'll figure out how to dive it. No reason to follow sand down to 130 feet "just because." Rather spend the dive looking at the reef in 60-80' of water!

-B

plot
09-11-2007, 17:05
i'm into wrecks, etc...

but have you ever done a wall dive? go down to a 100 feet off of a wall in a lake or something sometime... going down is no big deal, but coming back up and looking up the huge walls is simply awesome. maybe i'm just narc'd from the depth, but wall dives are something I really enjoy.

oh yea, other reason for going deep would be for practice.