PDA

View Full Version : Just good Meat

mm2002
08-26-2010, 19:15
Nothing fancy here, not a lot of ingredients, and very simple.

1 lb. (or more) ribeye steak, at least 1" thick
Hot fire (source optional)
Dab 'o salt and pepper (optional)
Piece of aluminum foil (for sanitary purposes)

1. Set foil anywhere that's handy, lay the steak on it, and let sit for several hours at room temperature. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper if desired.

2. Get fire source as hot as possible, preferably 550 to 600 F.

3. Lay steak on grate above fire, and leave no more than 5 minutes, or until smoke is billowing out.

4. Flip steak over and repeat on other side.

5. Immediately remove steak from fire.

Serve asap with ice cold beer of choice. Repeat as necessary.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/mm2002_bucket/ribeye.jpg

Splitlip
08-26-2010, 19:30
arh ahr ahr!!!

Chilly
08-26-2010, 19:39
:smiley20: Nice sear, Brother!

BSea
08-27-2010, 03:32
That's just about the way I do mine, except for the several hours at room temp part (I usually do about 30 minutes). Plus I use sea salt & a bit of butter after the flip. I agree 100% on the ribeye over any other cut.

bigman241
08-28-2010, 16:33
mmm ribeye, we buy a whole one every month from sams, I do have a question ALUMINUM FOIL what where you thinking. A good clean grill grate is all you need. Only time I use the crap is at a park on a public grill, them things are always messy.

mm2002
08-28-2010, 18:17
mmm ribeye, we buy a whole one every month from sams, I do have a question ALUMINUM FOIL what where you thinking. A good clean grill grate is all you need. Only time I use the crap is at a park on a public grill, them things are always messy.

Oh, rest easy big fella.......I just use the foil to "age" the meat, I never cook on it. My wife hates cow blood all over the kitchen countertops. :smiley36:

Splitlip
08-28-2010, 18:31
Here's a tip for beef tenderloin and foil. Grill it enough to sear it. Then wrap it in foil in place in a small cooler. It will "cook" to perfection while resting at the same time.

mm2002
08-28-2010, 18:42
Here's a tip for beef tenderloin and foil. Grill it enough to sear it. Then wrap it in foil in place in a small cooler. It will "cook" to perfection while resting at the same time.

Wow, reverse grilling! I like it! :smiley36:

Splitlip
08-28-2010, 18:55
Hey Brother.

Yeah, it is way cool. I don't have it down yet, but one of mu Buds does. But hen he's a Big Green Egg guy and can cook with style.

For those who don't know about the Big Green Egg....

Big Green Egg Grilling Demonstration Video (http://www.5min.com/Video/Big-Green-Egg-Grilling-Demonstration-6000)

I have a spot in my yard waiting for my egg.

FYI:

The Egg uses charcoal; not briquettes.

BSea
08-28-2010, 21:17
I've got a Grill Dome. One of the Big Green Egg clones. But it really improved my outdoor cooking.

Here's a comparison. Videos: Grill Dome vs Green Egg - Comparison of Ceramic Kamado Cookers (http://www.bbqguys.com/video_list_193-291.html?item=2193237&startvideo=836)

I didn't buy it from this place, but they make some good points comparing the 2.

And a little more FYI. Never use charcoal lighter fluid in a ceramic cooker.

Defman
08-29-2010, 07:04
3. Lay steak on grate above fire, and leave no more than 5 minutes, or until smoke is billowing out.
4. Flip steak over and repeat on other side.

^^^ If you like your steak on the well done side...

Going with 1" cut here... put on the grill for 30 seconds, flip to get a sear on both sides. Go about 3 to 3.5 minutes per side for a nice medium after resting.

Serve asap with ice cold beer of choice. Repeat as necessary.

NO NO NO!!! Always let the steak rest 5 to 10 minutes after removing from the grill, this is the biggest mistake most people make with a steak. It's gotta rest. You can cover with foil or an inverted pan to help keep it warm and continue to cook just a little.

mm2002
08-29-2010, 11:35
If you like your steak on the well done side... Going with 1" cut here... put on the grill for 30 seconds, flip to get a sear on both sides. Go about 3 to 3.5 minutes per side for a nice medium after resting.

NO NO NO!!! Always let the steak rest 5 to 10 minutes after removing from the grill, this is the biggest mistake most people make with a steak. It's gotta rest. You can cover with foil or an inverted pan to help keep it warm and continue to cook just a little.

Actually, your methods don't work for me......I like it still bleeding inside. There are many ways to cook a steak, but there's only one way to drink beer! :fulle:

Splitlip
08-29-2010, 12:16
Thanks!

I've got a Grill Dome. One of the Big Green Egg clones. But it really improved my outdoor cooking.

Here's a comparison. Videos: Grill Dome vs Green Egg - Comparison of Ceramic Kamado Cookers (http://www.bbqguys.com/video_list_193-291.html?item=2193237&startvideo=836)

I didn't buy it from this place, but they make some good points comparing the 2.

And a little more FYI. Never use charcoal lighter fluid in a ceramic cooker.

Defman
08-29-2010, 13:15
Actually, your methods don't work for me......I like it still bleeding inside. There are many ways to cook a steak, but there's only one way to drink beer! :fulle:

I see the error in my wording, I was actually thinking 5 minutes a side seems awfully long and would result in well done around my grill...

navyhmc
08-29-2010, 13:53

That's what I thought until I saw a gal drinking a beer through a straw :smiley36: :fulle:

mm2002
08-29-2010, 14:03
I see the error in my wording, I was actually thinking 5 minutes a side seems awfully long and would result in well done around my grill...

Actually, you're right. I wasn't thinking when I originally posted that. It's only 5 min on the first side. After the flip, I only leave it on another couple of minutes. As long as that doesn't change the beer drinking part, we're still ok, right?

navyhmc
08-29-2010, 14:07
Am I the only one that knows beer is a timing device? So are your buddies when they come over for a bbq. Rare is one beer, flip at the halfway point. Medium is 2 beers, but only one if you and the guys are BS'ing at the grill. Well done (which I personally consider and afront to all that is good and decent) is 3 beers.

Splitlip
08-29-2010, 14:13
Mark:
I am not intending to hijack the thread. Mods feel free to move if necessary.

I used to have an Australian gas grill. It was the antithesis of the slow cook kettle grills. In fact, it came standard without a lid. The cooking surface was literally on top of the flame. The cooking philosophy was to cook hot and fast and sear the flavors inside the food.

My favorite use was to cook steaks for 10 or more guests. I would have the butcher cut me a butt load of porterhouse steaks 1/4" thick (bone in). I would fire up the beast and simply sear each side the cuts for literally seconds and plate them up.

No need to cook ahead of time. If somebody wanted seconds, fire up the beast again and cook one up. There was no need to preheat that bad boy.

navyhmc
08-29-2010, 14:22
Very successful hijack Split!!! Actually, no because it's still grilling steak...mmmm steaaaak!!!!

Sounds interesting, do you have a link?

BSea
08-29-2010, 14:30
Am I the only one that knows beer is a timing device? So are your buddies when they come over for a bbq. Rare is one beer, flip at the halfway point. Medium is 2 beers, but only one if you and the guys are BS'ing at the grill. Well done (which I personally consider and afront to all that is good and decent) is 3 beers.After 3 beers, the steaks are burnt (which I agree is anything more than medium), but your well on your way to "WHO CARES?".

Mark:
I am not intending to hijack the thread. Mods feel free to move if necessary.

I used to have an Australian gas grill. It was the antithesis of the slow cook kettle grills. In fact, it came standard without a lid. The cooking surface was literally on top of the flame. The cooking philosophy was to cook hot and fast and sear the flavors inside the food.

My favorite use was to cook steaks for 10 or more guests. I would have the butcher cut me a butt load of porterhouse steaks 1/4" thick (bone in). I would fire up the beast and simply sear each side the cuts for literally seconds and plate them up.

No need to cook ahead of time. If somebody wanted seconds, fire up the beast again and cook one up. There was no need to preheat that bad boy.Really, only 1/4 inch thick? That actually sounds like it would be really good. Not to mention really quick.

A little more FYI. The Grill dome has an optional grate that will put the meat within a few inches of the charcoal (I'm assuming the BGE also has this option). I mostly use it to place a pan on, when doing indirect, but it can be used for streaks. I haven't tried this yet, but ceramic cookers are great for getting the temp up to 600+ for fast grilling.

Can you tell I love this thing? I actually have some ribs on it right now.

Splitlip
08-29-2010, 14:44
After 3 beers, the steaks are burnt (which I agree is anything more than medium), but your well on your way to "WHO CARES?".

Really, only 1/4 inch thick? That actually sounds like it would be really good. Not to mention really quick.

A little more FYI. The Grill dome has an optional grate that will put the meat within a few inches of the charcoal (I'm assuming the BGE also has this option). I mostly use it to place a pan on, when doing indirect, but it can be used for streaks. I haven't tried this yet, but ceramic cookers are great for getting the temp up to 600+ for fast grilling.

Can you tell I love this thing? I actually have some ribs on it right now.

I watched the vid in the link you posted and did a few more google searches.

The Egg is out. Grill Dome is in. BGE did not invent this style of cooking. It was the Japanese (I learned). So I would not call the Grill Dome a knock off or even a clone. They build a better mouse trap. Plus no need to pay for the BGE name.

The 1/4 " thick Porterhouse steaks are awesome. I do them on my Webers with top open. (sadly there were some mfg. defects with my Aussie grill and HD, took it back and gave me a Weber. I have been a Weber guy for 30 years anyway.)But the steaks sure were good on the Aussie grill.

mm2002
08-29-2010, 16:48
I've done the thin cut "quick" thing before, and they are good. Really though, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on porterhouse for a crowd. When you get it that thin, even cheaper cuts like sirloin turn out pretty decent. After a few beers you can even sneak in some real cheap cuts and nobody even notices! :smiley36:

Splitlip
08-29-2010, 16:55
I've done the thin cut "quick" thing before, and they are good. Really though, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on porterhouse for a crowd. When you get it that thin, even cheaper cuts like sirloin turn out pretty decent. After a few beers you can even sneak in some real cheap cuts and nobody even notices! :smiley36:

Yeah, plenty of other cuts work as well or better.

But that just wouldn't be my style. :)

Splitlip
08-29-2010, 17:01
Remember when you were at my house? I made a dressing with aged bourbon, ****akes and pistachios. Everybody just ate the stuffing!

I'm a (scuba) dick. What can I say? It's all about cool.

scubagirlj
08-29-2010, 20:59
and for a change of pace- take a flank steak, rub in quality soy sauce generously on both sides, sprinkle both sides with lemon-pepper, place in glass dish, cover & let sit in fridge a couple hours- throw on grill or put under broiler, about 4 mins a side(want it to yield to touch)until almost medium rare- remove & let rest for 10-15 mins- slice thinly on the diagonal across grain of meat-wonderful for sandwiches, on salads or by itself with side dishes

Splitlip
08-29-2010, 21:07
I've done that!

scubastud
09-11-2010, 10:53
That would go great with a side of ass beans!