PDA

View Full Version : ? abt LDS

ixrayu
09-10-2007, 21:22
Just wondering if you ladies get treated different at your lds than your husband, SO, son, etc. I noticed that I do. So I've about made my mind up that my hard earned cold cash is not going to go to them except for my classes (if I decide to do my advanced. Not sure I'm ready yet for it). As some of you read, I had the mask issue that they would not listen to me about until Gary complained after trying the mask. So really they listened to Gary not me. I know I live in a rural Southern area but come on.... Just wanted to know what type of experiences other ladies have had.

ScubaGir1
09-10-2007, 21:34
I haven't been treated differently at LDS's, but I have been treated differently at car shops, like Kragen, Auto Zone, etc. They try to talk to me like I'm an idiot, until they realize I DO know what they're talking about :smiley36:

Liv7301
09-10-2007, 22:46
I haven't really had this problem but then my LDS is ScubaToys where customer service is universal and I have never been made to feel like a "dumb girl." They have always been very repectful to me, especially when they were working with me on my search for a wetsuit to fit my "fluffy" plus size frame.

If they treating you like a dumb girl, dump them and find someplace worthy of your hard earned money!

dallasdivergirl
09-11-2007, 08:38
Like Liv7301 Scubatoys is my home LDS.

I think the whole family should change dive shops if you are not being treated fairly, but are they the only game in town or much closer than any other shop?

Disneymom
09-11-2007, 08:47
Sherry, we've got one here that was pretty "cool" to me (by that I mean, temperature) when I first went in. He's a little better now. The other 2 have been fine to work with. The ST guys have always treated me great, both via email and on the phone. If that's the way you're getting treated, you might look elsewhere, if you have that option. If they're going to treat you like a second-class citizen, they don't deserve your business.

Theepdinker
09-11-2007, 10:08
I hope you'll excuse the post from a guy.
Something else to consider before you dump the LDS in question.

Were they treating you like a "dumb girl" or a "dumb newbie"?
If the former, dump them.
If the latter, a guy or girl would have gotten the same treatment and with experience you will gain credibility.
I'm not saying they treated you right regardless of the cause.

Theep

Harshal
09-11-2007, 10:11
ScubaToys is not my LDS……………. Ooopssss did I just say that. My LDS owner is female, so I don’t know, if she treats male and female differently. I never had any trouble.

Subaqua
09-11-2007, 10:28
My LDS always treated me with respect. Maybe because the owner is a woman! No, just kidding In fact, all of their employees respect everyone, no matter if you're a man or woman, newbie or experienced, etc. If you're not satisfied, just go somewhere else. I would not encourage them.

TX1Chica
09-11-2007, 13:31
My husband doesn't dive, but most of my family does. I am pretty...well not cheap...but I like to shop around to make sure I am getting a good deal. I lot of the guys in my group have bought everything at one time from the shop we got trained at. I noticed when I went in their they didn't pay much attention to me and just followed the guys. So I don't know if they were following the "men" or the money.
I found a shop in Tyler, TX that will answer my questions and not make me feel bad because I am a girl/ newbie / frugal (like to save $)
I feel like if they want to ignore me, I will ignore them.

YellowfinKunkfish
09-11-2007, 15:11
I've never been treated any different at either one of our LDS's. Adventure Scuba is the closest to us, and we take all of our classes through them, and buy what we can. (they don't always have what we want) No matter which one of us goes in, they are always very nice, and helpful. (instructors are awesome too!) Our other LDS is Scuba Toys of course. They are a little bit further away, but they offer some things that our other LDS doesn't. (Zeagle) And of course I have always been treated nicely, and they are always great.

ixrayu
09-11-2007, 17:12
That is one of the problems! I don't know if I was treated that way about the mask because I am a dumb newbie or because I am a woman. Not many women in our area dive. We only have 2 dive shops in or area. One is the PADI shop and the other SSI. I don't really care for the stuff the SSI shop sells. So for local shopping I'm stuck.

quarkuud
09-12-2007, 05:16
I don't feel like my LDS owner treats me differently when I go in to buy gear or pay for my next trip because I'm a woman. I haven't bought anything big from them, though, so I guess that could change.

I do feel like I was treated differently by diving instructors, though. I can't put my finger on it, exactly, but I think it's that they're more...reassuring, somehow, than with the boys. I'm not sure how much of that is that I'm a woman and how much is that I'm young and have a sort of hesitant manner. I suspect it's the combination more than anything else.It doesn't exactly bother me, so long as they will still tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I felt the same way in weapons training, too, when I was the only women and the youngest person in a class of ten men taught by three federal cops (all men). The head instructor would go out of his way to tell me that I was doing well. I was, actually, but sometimes that kind of thing makes you doubt yourself. So it isn't just a diving problem, and some of it is probably a me problem.

mdwestgrl
09-16-2007, 17:38
My lds all seem to treat women and men equally from my experience. I would give them another shot to see how they act when you go in next time by yourself and see how they act. Was it everyone there or just one person? We did have one employee at one lds that completely ignored both my husband & myself and pretended we weren't even in the store. They are no longer working there. (not because of us, we didn't say anything - apparently several other people did) :smiley2:

scubasavvy
09-16-2007, 17:49
I've been treated differently at my LDS...they won't touch me when I try on BCs so they don't find themselves a lawsuit. Other than that, I don't see much of a difference in the treatment between me and the guys...

voodoodoly
09-18-2007, 20:38
The first LDS I went to is owned by a woman. You would think that this would be a great place to go if you are a woman but no. I did my open water cert. through this shop only because my buddy insisted, it was convenient. The only way a female was to get attention from the shop owner was if you had your husband or boyfriend with you. I won't deal with moody shop owners so I looked around. I finally found a great LDS after going to at least 6 shops in a 1 hour drive time. ( I liked this new shop so much that I now work there part-time one or two days a week):)

lucidblue
09-18-2007, 22:31
I haven't been treated any differently in any LDS I've gone to in the area (been to about 4). Instructors seemed to treat everyone the same too.

Chocoholic
09-29-2007, 18:46
I've had no problems, here in Alaska they are just happy to have someone come in to talk diving with.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 20:56
I have only been in the LDS with finflippers and they seem to follow him around like a bunch of vultures waiting for the kill and doesn't even notice me.

sudnit5
10-01-2007, 05:44
My girlfriend has had the same experience. That is why we don't go there anymore either.

ScubaJenn81
10-01-2007, 06:17
I do not think it matter which gender you are, I think it is about what kind of fibe you give off. When I go shopping, I want to be left alone, while my husband likes to talk to the staff about the product. So, when we go shopping, they always talk to him and leave me alone, but that happens if the staff is male and female.