PDA

View Full Version : How to get into a wetsuit easier

mdwestgrl
09-10-2007, 21:34
Anyone out there have any ideas to make getting into a 7ml wetsuit easier? I have no problem getting into my 3ml but my 7 ml is a different story. I have tried the 50/50 water and hair conditioner mix and that helps, but not enough. I work up such a sweat and struggle with my 7 ml it is ridiculous. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

DivingsInMyBlood
09-10-2007, 21:36
you could wear a lycra bodysuit, i think that helps a bit (so ive heard).

skdvr
09-10-2007, 22:17
Just go naked and then ask for help. I bet you will get it on in no time... :smiley20:

thesmoothdome
09-10-2007, 22:19
Have someone blow into the arm or leg hole you're trying to get into. Believe it or not, it helps a lot.

PlatypusMan
09-10-2007, 22:24
Have someone blow into the arm or leg hole you're trying to get into. Believe it or not, it helps a lot.

I'm not so sure.

Last time I was on a dive boat and asked if someone would come over and blow me in my wet suit I suddenly found myself swimming back to shore, with the boat a rapidly diminishing dot on the horizon...

Those folks weren't helpful at all. :smiley13:

thesmoothdome
09-10-2007, 22:26

I'm not so sure.

Last time I was on a dive boat and asked if someone would come over and blow me in my wet suit I suddenly found myself swimming back to shore, with the boat a rapidly diminishing dot on the horizon...

LOL. :smilie39:

Aussie
09-10-2007, 22:47
The couple of ideas that I have are:

Put on wetsuit in the water or put it on in the shower. I have a hendersons semi dry 7/5mm gold core and its the really only way of putting it on without either ripping the suit or ripping the hairs off my legs.

Some people use plastic bags on their feet and hands to glide their way through the suit. That works too

Aussie

picxie
09-11-2007, 01:46
I was going to suggest plastic bags too.

I think practise is the main thing ... I only ever dive in a 7mm so I had to get used to it!!

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-11-2007, 07:20

I'm not so sure.

I just read this as I am sitting on a train heading into the city for work this A.M. and you have made everyone in my train car look at me really funny. Thanks for the great laugh and smile to start my day!!!

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: :smilie39:

Capt Hook
09-11-2007, 08:00
Maybe butter?

Defman
09-11-2007, 08:17
Some people use plastic bags on their feet and hands to glide their way through the suit. That works too

Aussie

I'll second that, I do it all of the time. All of my suits seem to shrink while in storage, I don't know why :smiley2: and I end using a bag on almost all of them. It doesn't help with thighs & upper arms, but it gets feet & hands thru easily.

Disneymom
09-11-2007, 08:42
can't say for a 7mm, but a skin makes a 5mm a lot easier to get on!

Those folks weren't helpful at all. :smiley13::smilie39::smilie39:

scootermcfly
09-11-2007, 09:09
I wear a 7mm here in the Northeast and found that the dive skin is the way to go. My wife doesn't use a dive skin, but has found that an old pair of panty hose works even better and her suit slides right on.

Scooter McFly

wxboy911
09-11-2007, 09:23
One of the first things I bought was a dive skin...

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TilosLycraSkinSuit

The heavy suit slides on nice and easy for cold water and I wear it when diving the warm water to keep the Jellies off. I also bought the Tilos so I could try their 2XL for size. When I found it fit I went ahead and bought a Tilos 7/5 semi dry.

lmorin
09-11-2007, 12:07
If you want to carry a plastic bag, it works amazingly well. You can basically just slip you foot and leg right into and through the suit leg. So little resistance a medium weight garbage bag will not tear. Try it at home to convince yourself.

Vegas
09-11-2007, 13:33
I have a 7 mil Scubapro semi-dry that seemed like it took the Cavalry to help me get the thing on and off.
I think I've tried almost everything......

Hair conditioner and water helped a little.

"Suit Juice" - Helped ALOT!
(great for getting wet gloves back on for another dive, too.)

The plastic bag trick really works also, but they tend to tear if you use a grocery store-type bag....try using a lightweight kitchen-type trash bag.

One of my friends went with buying a skin to wear and says it makes her
7 mil slide right on -- I've heard that these can kind of work a bit like an evaporative cooler on the skin between dives though. (I have trouble warming back up after a cold dive, so I didn't try this option).

I finally surrendered....
and bought a 7 mil hyperstretch.....
and, simply could not be happier!
It's about as tough to don as my 3 mil (EASY!) and the fit is perfect.

tremtech
09-11-2007, 14:14
ask for help

mdwestgrl
09-11-2007, 20:56
I have a 7 mil Scubapro semi-dry that seemed like it took the Cavalry to help me get the thing on and off.
I think I've tried almost everything......

Hair conditioner and water helped a little.

"Suit Juice" - Helped ALOT!
(great for getting wet gloves back on for another dive, too.)

The plastic bag trick really works also, but they tend to tear if you use a grocery store-type bag....try using a lightweight kitchen-type trash bag.

One of my friends went with buying a skin to wear and says it makes her
7 mil slide right on -- I've heard that these can kind of work a bit like an evaporative cooler on the skin between dives though. (I have trouble warming back up after a cold dive, so I didn't try this option).

I finally surrendered....
and bought a 7 mil hyperstretch.....
and, simply could not be happier!
It's about as tough to don as my 3 mil (EASY!) and the fit is perfect.

Thanks for the ideas! I have to ask, what is suit juice? I will also try the skins maybe that will help. I know my husband will have no problem with me buying more scuba gear! :smiley36:

sudnit5
09-12-2007, 15:32
I will put a recommendations in the for plastic bags as well. It may look silly but it works like a charm. Also the lycra suit works very good.

Scuba-Bill
09-12-2007, 16:30
A bucket of KY will probably get it on quickly and it is water soluble...

Seriously, I use a dive skin to get in to mine. It also helps to have a properly sized wetsuit.

Good luck,

CrzyJay456
09-12-2007, 18:00
pull the legs trough the suit backwards, and put your ankle in first (with the suit legs flipped inside out) and then slowly roll it up your legs, and same for the arms... get the wrist on first, and then just push it back regular side slowly.
hard to understand? let me know, will try and get some pics of the process.

mdwestgrl
09-12-2007, 21:02
Hey thanks, that sounds like a pretty good idea:smiley20:! I will give that a try and see if it helps!

Aron
08-10-2012, 10:30
Try out the Surf Jimmy product: - Easy On Surfing (http://www.surfjimmy.com) . You can buy it in most surf shops in the UK. works great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWM3muEWCpc&feature=player_embedded

Seniordiver
09-03-2012, 20:56
I asked a rather attractive women one time:'how do you get into that wetsuit', she suggested that I could start by buying her a beer

Charon
09-04-2012, 07:51
Two things make it easy for me, wet or dry, puting the suit on or taking it off. First, I agree with the lycra skinn. Makes it easier to get in and out. Second, the main place I get hung up is my feet, thus a pair of diving socks. I've got both lycra and LavaCore. I like the LavaCore better because they are more form fitting and hold their size and shape better. Yhey make it easy to get your boots on and off as well.

ras100
09-23-2012, 23:31
Hi all!

Clearly, making it easier to get into a wetsuit is a problem in search of a solution.

One solution is using Bodyglide. BodyGlide (http://www.bodyglide.com) is used by athletes to cut down on friction and thereby reduce chaffing. It comes in a stick similar to deodorant but can also be bough in a cream form. There are divers/surfers who swear by it to give them a head start getting into their wetsuit.

Another solution is Suit Juice. Suit Juice (http://www.northshoreindustries.com) is a lubricant that comes in a spray bottle and is designed to break down those body oils and acids on the inside of your suit. You spray it a couple times and rub it with some water and you slide into your suit much easier. There are similar lubricants sold under various names such as Suit Slip.

Yet another product that helps is the Surf Jimmy. The Surf Jimmy (http://www.easyonsurfing.com) is similar to a plastic bag - but better. Its made out of a much stronger material that is smooth on the outside, which makes you slide right through the leg of your wetsuit before removing and repeating with your other leg and arms. It's reusable and rolls up to fit in a pocket. The Surf Jimmy can be used whether your suit is wet or dry.

Old school divers/surfers might use a dry powder such as talcum powder to making getting into their wetsuit easier. You can buy commercial products like Trident Wetsuit Eze Powder which do the same thing. Obviously, this trick doesn't work so well when your wetsuit is already wet.

Check out these options and see what makes sense to you.

TotDoc
12-18-2012, 03:43
Ahah! I knew someone must make some lube to slide into a suit easier! When I first started diving my thicker suits, I really would have loved that stuff. I tried the plastic bags over the hands and feet...which worked alright. I tried rolling them on from inside out...also not bad. But the best thing I found for getting them on? Diving in it enough to make it a little looser! ;)