PDA

View Full Version : What's your motivation to quit?

Lenaxia
08-31-2010, 14:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUSWXzHi0GE&feature=sub

Somewhat scuba related

navyhmc
08-31-2010, 14:23
"I kissed a jelly fish...it tingled my lips!!!..." :smiley36:

I started diving when I was 14, I actually used diving as a peer blocker on smoking:

"Are you kidding? Do you know what cigaretts do to your SAC rate and skin diving breath holding times??? No freaking way!" :smiley36:

bennerman
08-31-2010, 14:29
Various people told me if I don't stop, they would (insert their specific threat here, including [but not limited to]: block me, shoot me, tan my hide (thanks, ma)). XD

navyhmc
08-31-2010, 14:33
Here's what you do: 1. get certified. 2. honestly stop smoking for a one month period while diving. 3. see how much better the last dives are compared to the first. 4. keep diving and don't start smoking

TJDiver
08-31-2010, 14:49
Back in the early 70's, I was a statistic...a teenager that started smoking due to peer pressure. I smoked for 10 years, and quit cold turkey at age 26...one of the best decisions I ever made. At the time that I quit, I had a very large yard, and was out mowing at the far edge. I had taken a break, and heard the phone ringing. I had been awaiting a call about a large lucrative project, so I took off like a flash trying to catch the call before they hung up. I made it, but could barely speak to the guy from being so out of breath. When I got off the phone, I was so disgusted with myself...I took the pack of cigs from my shirt pocket, wadded them up, threw them in the garbage, and never looked back.

jans
08-31-2010, 15:03
Watching my mother struggle to breathe at the age of 60. She did quit but the damage was done. She died after spending the last few years of her life tied to an oxygen tank.

Smashee
08-31-2010, 15:13
I used to be a 60-a-day man. Woke up one morning and realized I wasn't smoking because I enjoyed it any more, I was just feeding the monkey and these damn things tasted like crap. Switching to smoking only the very best cigars allowed me to cut down on my terms and enjoy it. Only took a few months before I was down to a couple a week. 8 years on, I'll have a stogie when I want one which works out to one every couple of weeks.

navyhmc
08-31-2010, 15:23
As most here know, I'm a paramdic in the largest system in the state of Kansas. We run 48,000 calls a year, I run about 800. Out of those 800 calls, iterally 33% of them are asthma, bronchitis, emphysema (COPD) related respiratory emergencies. 90%+ of those calls are directly due to smoking. After seeing all of these calls-I would imagine that my life time total is over 10,000 of them-I can tell you that the last few years of life are miserable at best, living hell as a baseline.

Think about this: It's not breathing in that's the problem, it's exhaling-it's like that first breath you blow into a new balloon, each and every breath! It's not being able to echange the CO2 for oxygen in your lungs and having daily air starvation caused anxiety attacks. How about being totally out of breath after 3 steps-2 steps or even 1. Getting out of the recliner you pretty much live in almost makes you pass out. How about burning to death after 3 painful weeks in a burn unit because you still smoked while on supplemental oxygen and your clothes literally flashed into flames from a dropped cig. And that's the good stuff....

Diving kept me from smoking when I was a teen-the job keeps me from ever thinking of starting. I'm almost as militant on smoking as DUI drivers.

eta: If you want a small sample of what O2 panic is like, take an almost empty 2 liter of pop, shake it up to release the CO2 into the bottle and then try to inhale the gasses, making the sides collapse-not too hard to do. 3 seconds later, you'll feel a light headed rush followed by an uncontrollable impluse to breath hard and heavy for about 10 seconds and then it's gone. Those with COPD, it never goes away.

bennerman
08-31-2010, 15:35
My dad has emphysema (not related to his smoking, but it sure as hell doesn't help), and he collapsed because Bill Engvall made him laugh too hard... scary moment :s

Straegen
08-31-2010, 22:10
The easiest way is don't start habits that have virtually no upside and require work to begin to enjoy. I have friends who smoke, but I just don't get it. I can understand alcoholism, coffee addiction, sugar and food in general but will never understand smoking and I came from a family of heavy smokers.

Lulubelle
09-01-2010, 08:00
My family grows tobacco, everyone's does here, but I have never smoked. I watched both of my parents quit when I was a little kid. Probably one of the most memorable experiences for me was watching my old swim coach go down to lung cancer when I was just a teen. And then when I was in high school and already headed for a career in health care, seeing the black cottage cheese look of a dead smoker's lungs. I've got a number of friends, in their 30s and 40s, with COPD. I just can't imagine doing that to myself on purpose. So I guess my motivation was never to start.

FoxHound
09-01-2010, 08:27
my dad has had 2 heart attacks directly related to the ammount he smoked. first was about 15 years ago and the second was 12 years ago. Ever since then he has quit, he is now in the best shape of his life in his late 50s

good enough reason for me never to have started, scared the **** outa me seeing my dad in intensive care

Rileybri
09-01-2010, 08:30
I am almost at my two year anniversary being tobacco free! I quit two weeks after I found out my wife was preggers and have not looked back since!

Lenaxia
09-01-2010, 17:13
Well this thread turned out to be a bit more heavy than I expected. It was intended to be light hearted since I don't smoke myself, but I'm glad it's become a positive discussion. :)

emclean
09-02-2010, 07:10
A rifle, but I was ready to give it up. the gun was the finle push to get me to quit.
I have now serously quit smoking twice, the first was about a year, and then I had an eight hour drive alone, I picked up a pack to help keep myself alert. I learned that I cant stop and start adictions so well.