PDA

View Full Version : what was your favorite childhood candy/food/edible item?

scubagirlj
08-31-2010, 21:12
lets take a walk down memory lane- what was your favorite childhood candy/food/edible item?-mine was root beer "fizzies" they were supposed to be put in a glass of water and made into a drink but i just like they was they "fizzed" in my mouth sans water!

navyhmc
08-31-2010, 22:37
Just never swallow one and THEN drink a glass of water...You can burp the Star Sangled Banner, Peter Frampton's "Feel Like I do" AND "Inna Gadda Davida" all in one continuous belch!

Tolberone! I've been hooked on them since I was 8. Cadbury's is a good substitute, but Tolberone rules!!!!

julz
08-31-2010, 22:42
lemon heads

Straegen
08-31-2010, 22:45
Talking about candy that really isn't around anymore that would be a Zagnut for me. Overall it would be my moms chocolate pie or better yet chocolate gravy over butter sopped up with biscuits.

navyhmc
08-31-2010, 22:50
Talking about candy that really isn't around anymore that would be a Zagnut for me. Overall it would be my moms chocolate pie or better yet chocolate gravy over butter sopped up with biscuits.

I've seen Zagnuts at Cracker Barrell. Never a fan of them but I have seenm them around.

Now that you've posted about chocolate gravy, you need to post the recipe. I'm completely intrigued and find myself wanting. Though I know I could never come close to your mother's... Man, that sounds good!

Diver Kat
08-31-2010, 22:53
Chocolate Charleston Chew bars ..... there was a place on Rye Beach where they would sell them frozen so you would whack the bar then open it. It would be in all these frozen pieces, but it was SO good! It's a wonder all our teeth weren't pulled out!

Another one was Lemon Italian ice ..... the real stuff - homemade by local Italians, and they would sell it from carts near the elementary school.YUM!!!

TwistedSister209
09-01-2010, 06:56
Bit-O-Honey--the bar not the mini. Pixie Sticks.
We would go through the neighborhood collecting coke bottles, then cash them in at the grocery store.

scubastud
09-01-2010, 07:00
Those little dots of candy on paper? There was a penny candy store on the way from home from school, was really a house, a really nice older couple lived upstairs. Lotsa candy there, and just a few pennies is all we needed.
Of course if you see a candy store like that these days, they are either violating some ordinance or selling drugs or both..

TJDiver
09-01-2010, 07:02
We would go through the neighborhood collecting coke bottles, then cash them in at the grocery store.

Otherwise known as Kiddie Crack. :smiley36:

If you're not from the Southern U.S., you won't understand mine...peanuts in a bottle of Coke...'twas a Southern delicacy back in the day.

Gonnagettanked
09-01-2010, 07:13
Chocolate Charleston Chew bars ..... there was a place on Rye Beach where they would sell them frozen so you would whack the bar then open it. It would be in all these frozen pieces, but it was SO good! It's a wonder all our teeth weren't pulled out!

Another one was Lemon Italian ice ..... the real stuff - homemade by local Italians, and they would sell it from carts near the elementary school.YUM!!!
Divercat were you from New England? Charleston CHew's were made in Charlestown Ma right down the street from where I lived as a kid. and they are great frozen and the Italian Ice you mentioned was it "Richie's" Slush by any chance? They still make it in Everett. Started in the 50's and his 2 kids took over the business about 15 years ago. If you can believe it my parents went to high scool with him. He became a millionaire selling that delicious slush. I think I've eat'en about 25 gallons in my lifetime!
My favorite candys are Mallo Cups ther still around and Bonomos Turkish Taffy. Talk about a dentists dream!

Diver Kat
09-01-2010, 08:42
We would go through the neighborhood collecting coke bottles, then cash them in at the grocery store. We did the same! Us 3 older kids would scrounge Main St and the marina looking for Coke bottles. We got 3 cents a bottle when we turned them in at the local Deli!

Divercat were you from New England? Charleston CHew's were made in Charlestown Ma right down the street from where I lived as a kid. and they are great frozen and the Italian Ice you mentioned was it "Richie's" Slush by any chance? They still make it in Everett. Started in the 50's and his 2 kids took over the business about 15 years ago. If you can believe it my parents went to high scool with him. He became a millionaire selling that delicious slush. I think I've eat'en about 25 gallons in my lifetime!
My favorite candys are Mallo Cups ther still around and Bonomos Turkish Taffy. Talk about a dentists dream! Yup ... was born in CT, raised on the NY side of the border. The Lifesaver factory was just down the street from where I lived (has since been converted to condos) and the town would smell like whatever flavor was being made that day. Cherry was great, but butterscotch was pretty icky. As for ices ... they were all made by the guy selling them.

Another favorite .... Carvel soft serve ice cream!! Never heard of DQ till I moved to TX!:smiley36:

+1 for penny candy ... there were so many to choose from it would take forever what to decide to buy with the few cents we had!

mocepts
09-01-2010, 08:58
Fun dip. I just liked the candy sticks.

Fun Dip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fun_Dip)

Straegen
09-01-2010, 09:00
Now that you've posted about chocolate gravy, you need to post the recipe. I'm completely intrigued and find myself wanting. Though I know I could never come close to your mother's... Man, that sounds good!The chocolate gravy recipe is REALLY simple and requires little work to create. It does however have a TON of carbs and calories. 1 cup sugar, 3 tsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp flour pour milk in until you get the consistency you like. Cook on medium heat until the sugar melts. Make it a bit thinner than you want to serve as it becomes thicker as it cools and eventually sets up when it becomes room temp. Put a tsp or two of cold butter on a plate and pour this hot over the top. Dip your biscuit in near the butter. This was a great but rare treat in my house when I was growing up.

The chocolate pie recipe my mom would have me killed if I revealed. It is the best pie of its kind and has several first place ribbons to back that statement up.

Otherwise known as Kiddie Crack. :smiley36:Kids have been known to snort pixies now... I keep telling myself that kids did stupid stuff when I was growing up but between Bieber, choking themselves, snorting candy, smoking smarties and a host of other ridiculously bad ideas I just cannot ever see myself being that stupid and ignorant.

jans
09-01-2010, 09:01
Dr.Pepper and Taco flavored Doritos. My lunch every day all through Jr. High School.

Largo
09-01-2010, 09:16
Zots or is it Zotz?

TJDiver
09-01-2010, 09:39
The chocolate gravy recipe is REALLY simple and requires little work to create. It does however have a TON of carbs and calories. 1 cup sugar, 3 tsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp flour pour milk in until you get the consistency you like. Cook on medium heat until the sugar melts. Make it a bit thinner than you want to serve as it becomes thicker as it cools and eventually sets up when it becomes room temp. Put a tsp or two of cold butter on a plate and pour this hot over the top. Dip your biscuit in near the butter. This was a great but rare treat in my house when I was growing up.

The chocolate pie recipe my mom would have me killed if I revealed. It is the best pie of its kind and has several first place ribbons to back that statement up.

Kids have been known to snort pixies now... I keep telling myself that kids did stupid stuff when I was growing up but between Bieber, choking themselves, snorting candy, smoking smarties and a host of other ridiculously bad ideas I just cannot ever see myself being that stupid and ignorant.

We just jokingly refer to them as Kiddie Crack because of all the sugar...didn't realize kids were actually snorting them. Holy crap! :smiley29:

FoxHound
09-01-2010, 10:25
i gotta go with nerds, those green thumb candy and big league chew...best bubble gum ever lol

Gonnagettanked
09-01-2010, 11:58
We did the same! Us 3 older kids would scrounge Main St and the marina looking for Coke bottles. We got 3 cents a bottle when we turned them in at the local Deli!

Yup ... was born in CT, raised on the NY side of the border. The Lifesaver factory was just down the street from where I lived (has since been converted to condos) and the town would smell like whatever flavor was being made that day. Cherry was great, but butterscotch was pretty icky. As for ices ... they were all made by the guy selling them.

Another favorite .... Carvel soft serve ice cream!! Never heard of DQ till I moved to TX!:smiley36:

+1 for penny candy ... there were so many to choose from it would take forever what to decide to buy with the few cents we had!
Cool! Cities and big time candy factories. Necco wafers are still made around us they give tons of the little packets to charities, and of course Boston Baked Beans! (no comments) Scubastud... They're peanuts covered in a hard red sugar. Has anyone heard of Skippy peanutbutter? They make that in my hometown too. That's was great smell if the wind was blowing in the right direction! Oh to eat a fluffernutter sandwich! I think this is only an East Coast delicacy (peanutbutter and marshmallow fluff) not too many calories:)

Lulubelle
09-01-2010, 12:13
My Italian Nanny's spaghetti Bolognese,hands down.

DMWiz
09-01-2010, 12:45
Dr.Pepper and Taco flavored Doritos. My lunch every day all through Jr. High School.

I used to down a 2 liter bottle of Sprite and a big size bag of Doritos, but that was in my college days. I was consuming about 2500 calories a meal too... and was thin as a rail! Can't do that no more.

DMWiz
09-01-2010, 12:48
Twix, peanut M&Ms and candy corn I can't resist!

navyhmc
09-01-2010, 13:34
I used to down a 2 liter bottle of Sprite and a big size bag of Doritos, but that was in my college days. I was consuming about 2500 calories a meal too... and was thin as a rail! Can't do that no more.

That's a combo I can not eat nor tolerate the smell of. Comes down to a cardiac arrest call on a man who did just that and then collapsed. We had to suction his airway every 5 seconds and literally filled 3 suction units with yuck!

Scubastud: I remmeber the candy dots too! Those were great, I used to get them at a little shop right across from the school I went to for a year in KCKS. They also had these cool little tanks for $.05 that had boston baked beans in them.

scubagirlj
09-01-2010, 13:40
huuum-turkish taffy, in banana! hadn't thought about that one is a looong time(probably since my first dental crown)-alot of stuff mentioned, candywise, can be found in the vermont country store catalog( and alot of other cool stuff from childhood like prell shampoo in a squeeze tube)

gNats
09-01-2010, 16:02
swedish fish.

hhahah - I remember taking a handful of pennies to the corner 5 and Dime (did I JUST SAY THAT OUTLOUD?) and watching the candyman (yep, that's what we called him) slide one fish per penny into a bag.

My mom fondly remembers me making him count them over one afternoon because I thought he missed a fish.

scubagirlj
09-01-2010, 17:08
i was a BAD kid- when i didn't have enough allowance, i raided the "books with the coins in them" that my dad thought were hidden-little did i know they were collectable coins!-spent liberty half dollars for candy(got a good old fashioned a**whipping for it also!)

ScottW
09-01-2010, 17:47
Tolberone, Pixie Sticks and 'gummy' fish were the norm. Sodas were 15 cents.
Who remembers Gold and Green stamps?

Diver Kat
09-01-2010, 17:59
Tolberone, Pixie Sticks and 'gummy' fish were the norm. Sodas were 15 cents.
Who remembers Gold and Green stamps? S&H Green stamps!!! Mom had tons of them (at least it felt that way!) .... usually I got stuck licking them all and putting them in the books.

scubagirlj
09-01-2010, 18:04
S&H Green stamps!!! Mom had tons of them (at least it felt that way!) .... usually I got stuck licking them all and putting them in the books.
OMG! remember that there was one big one that counted for a row of small ones! whatever did our mom's buy with them? and i think we had something else, "plaid stamps"?seem to remeber they were orange-ish(we are REALLY dating ourselves here)

TommyB
09-01-2010, 19:14
Memory Lane
=====

45 rpm spindles
Green Stamps
Metal Ice cube trays
Beanie and Cecil
Roller-skate keys
Cork pop guns
Marlin Perkins
Drive in Movies
Drive in restaurants
Car Hops
Studebakers
Gigio
Washtub wringers
The Fuller Brush Man
Sky King
Reel-To-Reel tape recorders
Tinkertoys
Erector Sets
Lincoln Logs
15 cent hamburgers
5 cent packs of baseball cards
Penny candy
25 cent a gallon gasoline
Jiffy Pop popcorn
5 cent stamps
Gum wrapper chains
Chatty Cathy dolls
5 cent Cokes
Speedy Alka-Seltzer
Cigarettes for Christmas
Falstaff Beer
Burma Shave signs
Brownie camera
Flash bulbs
TV Test patterns
Old Yeller
Chef Boy-AR-dee
Fire escape tubes
Timmy and Lassie
Ding Dong Avon calling
Brylcreem
Aluminum Christmas Trees

If you can remember most or all of these, Then you have lived!!!!!!!

Thanks for the break from my 'grown-up' life

Largo
09-01-2010, 19:40
Anybody ever used a party line? (In the U.S., I mean)

alpha
09-01-2010, 19:59

Our neighborhood of kids would walk down the rural road posted 55mph for a few miles picking up coke bottles in the ditches. We would then go to the local filling station convenience store to redeem the bottles for candy/cokes/etc. ..... fun times.... It was all good, no favorites.

It's interesting how something has improved today over 40 years ago. The interstate roads have little to no garbage thrown from cars to the highways & ditches.
I was too young to care or ask during the 60's; but was it 1. Lack of fines for littering? or 2. Expecting prison crews to come by and pick up the trash? Of course part of the trash was the kids redeemable treasure at the convenience store. or 3. It was the 60's --- free love/life/liberty/it's your thing---do what you wanna do....

alpha
09-01-2010, 20:01

Yep, I guess I'm that old, 60's as a kid, I remember the wait & trying to listen in on a neighbors conversation during their call without getting caught.

(Is someone listening in??? who's there???-----Click...)

alpha
09-01-2010, 20:12
Memory Lane
=====

45 rpm spindles
Green Stamps
Metal Ice cube trays
Beanie and Cecil
Roller-skate keys
Cork pop guns
Marlin Perkins
Drive in Movies
Drive in restaurants
Car Hops
Studebakers
Gigio
Washtub wringers
The Fuller Brush Man
Sky King
Reel-To-Reel tape recorders
Tinkertoys
Erector Sets
Lincoln Logs
15 cent hamburgers
5 cent packs of baseball cards
Penny candy
Jiffy Pop popcorn
5 cent stamps
Gum wrapper chains
Chatty Cathy dolls
5 cent Cokes
Speedy Alka-Seltzer
Cigarettes for Christmas
Falstaff Beer
Burma Shave signs
Brownie camera
Flash bulbs
TV Test patterns
Old Yeller
Chef Boy-AR-dee
Fire escape tubes
Timmy and Lassie
Ding Dong Avon calling
Brylcreem
Aluminum Christmas Trees

I still remember the kid I won a bet off in High school and felt so bad it was so much money back then that I gave him a chance to name his game, sport, or event to try to win it back. He chose his best ability vs. mine in his opinion and it was not athletics, he chose 8 ball pool. I arrived at the pool hall 2 hours early/rented a table/ practiced for an hour & 1/2 and got to the point where I could sink any ball I could make direct contact without having to bank the shots(made about 65% of my bank shots).

He walked in carrying his personal pool stick & bag with his mothers about 20 books of S&H greenstamps to give me if he lost.

Too bad mom had no stamps after an hour......

alpha
09-01-2010, 20:43
I know it would be funny if this guy is still alive & read this...He would definitely remember. We were seniors in high school & I think I skipped the last class of the day to get to the pool hall early.

I still wonder what he told his mom as to what happened to the S&H greenstamps....

I remember driving to the S&H outlet & picking out something but I really forgot what it was.

I seldom if ever play pool today and am quite sure I would be a rusty/lousy player today.

scubagirlj
09-01-2010, 22:08
what about candy cigarettes? think they came 5 to a "pack"-also we ran &/or rode our stingray bikes behind the mosquito fogging truck when it came down our street(may explain a lot)

alpha
09-01-2010, 22:18
My wife said they were:::very sweet and had a little peppermint flavor.

I did not try them I guess (no memory of them for me). I remember eating peanuts with nickles and dimes in the container to occasionally reimburse you for the cost of the salty peanuts. It was fun to see if you got them for free...

gNats
09-01-2010, 22:21
No party line. But I remember when phone numbers contained LETTERS. I remember my grandparent's phone number was written PR7-9999.

Freaky.

Remember US phone bills? The cards with hole punches?

I remember when you rented telephones and bought light bulbs through the electric company. Mom would take us to the electric company outlet store to pay the bill and buy lightbulbs.

Jc penny catalog sales. It was such a big deal to order through the catalog.

alpha
09-01-2010, 22:25
No memory of the phone bills or light bulbs purchased through the electric company.

Many memories of going to sears and walking back to their mail order catalog dept. for clothes/toys/etc. to be ordered.

alpha
09-01-2010, 22:38
Washtub wringer:::
I remember going to a laundry mat and this was an option to get the cloths dryer after leaving the washing machine. It looked like 2 rollers close together that the cloths would be compressed and release water before drying them more.

Must have quickly ended with the increase in litigation suits in America.

alpha
09-01-2010, 22:40
:::Yea, that was expensive when you made $1.39 per hour.

I remember the gas lines & shortages when it went up to about 50 cents.
1973............ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oil_Prices_1861_2007.svg

navyhmc
09-01-2010, 23:31

Yep, I guess I'm that old, 60's as a kid, I remember the wait & trying to listen in on a neighbors conversation during their call without getting caught.

(Is someone listening in??? who's there???-----Click...)

I remember the party lines-we had one for a little while-paid the extra for the private line after the neighbor either listened in to every call or monopolized the line. "Mrs Anderson, please let me use the line, we need to call the ambulance for my brother who just got kicked by a horse and is bleeding bad!!!" "Sush Dinae...I'll be off when I'm off". My older brother went up and cut her line.

We had a party line of sorts when I was a teen you dialed 410-411, gave a quick tap on the plunger things and there was an open line with a busy tone that you could hear about 300 folks on it. They cut the service to this test line due to at timesthere were over 2,000 kids on it.

Diver Kat
09-01-2010, 23:58
No party line. But I remember when phone numbers contained LETTERS. I remember my grandparent's phone number was written PR7-9999.
Yup .... our home number was WE7-4811 .... the WE stood for Westchester County. I thought it weird when I moved to California and they didn't have letters!

TJDiver
09-02-2010, 07:28
OMG! remember that there was one big one that counted for a row of small ones! whatever did our mom's buy with them? and i think we had something else, "plaid stamps"?seem to remeber they were orange-ish(we are REALLY dating ourselves here)

I remember those...it was like hitting the S&H jackpot. :smiley36: We had one of their stores near our home. I remember us cashing in books of stamps for an inflatable dingy type boat. Evidently, it was pretty good quality, as we used that thing for years...in creeks and small rivers...at the lake on camping trips...and, even in the ocean surf on family vacations. Ahhh...good times.

Bigg_Budd
09-02-2010, 07:41
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1370/1480022622_7e9884ce3e.jpg?v=0
http://www.fritolay.com/assets/images/blue/CHEETOS_Puffs.gif

scubagirlj
09-02-2010, 08:40
with halloween around the corner, am reminded of UNICEF boxes, getting apples instead of candy & leaving bags of dog poop, on fire, on those doorsteps. so they apple-giver would have to stamp it out(like i said, a bad kid, ate a lot of ivory soap & rarely sat down-LOL))

John Yaskowich
09-02-2010, 08:56
Macintosh Toffee in the red/plaid box. It came in a solid slab so you gave it a wack on the sidewalk before unwrapping it - you never knew what size pieces were going to result. That stuff was so sticky it pulled the fillings out of your teeth. But great stuff!

TJDiver
09-02-2010, 08:59
Hey, speaking of Halloween, am I the only person on the planet that actually likes the candy corn that litters the store shelves during October? Everyone I know gives me that look like they just bit into an apple with a worm when I admit I like the stuff. :smiley36:

TwistedSister209
09-02-2010, 09:17
I remember those...it was like hitting the S&H jackpot. :smiley36: We had one of their stores near our home. I remember us cashing in books of stamps for an inflatable dingy type boat. Evidently, it was pretty good quality, as we used that thing for years...in creeks and small rivers...at the lake on camping trips...and, even in the ocean surf on family vacations. Ahhh...good times.
I still have the card table and 4 Samsonite chairs that my mother got from S & H stamps. Still have those ugly green drinking glasses that came with every fill-up.
My mother almost severed her hand in one of those wringer washers. Scared me so bad I only played with it a couple times. Could have been because my boy cousins (from Kansas!) threatened me with it. They rolled me in a large area rug (think I was 5 or 6), set it in the corner, then left. I still have to fight claustrophobia.

Diver Kat
09-02-2010, 09:17
Hey, speaking of Halloween, am I the only person on the planet that actually likes the candy corn that litters the store shelves during October? Everyone I know gives me that look like they just bit into an apple with a worm when I admit I like the stuff. :smiley36:Can't say I like it quite as much now, but I LOVED that stuff as a kid!

scubagirlj
09-02-2010, 10:29
some was orange, white & yellow and others were orange, brown & yellow- eat it once in a while, when in season(for some reason local sushi joint usually has mints at check out desk but has candy corn during autumn)

DMWiz
09-02-2010, 10:46
Memory Lane
=====

Drive in Movies

I remember quite a few from that list and I'm pretty fortunate that I can still take my kids to a drive in. The week when it's cool out here we are for sure going to a drive in to watch first run movies too!

chinacat46
09-06-2010, 07:52
I think my favorite candy was Heath bars. I still like them.