PDA

View Full Version : Mermet Sept 4th-6th

SEMO Scuba
09-01-2010, 21:19
Anyone here diving Mermet this weekend?? None of my local buddies can make it.

FFDiver
09-01-2010, 21:22
I wish I could I dont think my back is going to let me make my big midwest diving trip I was wanting to do this year. It is better but still probably will have to go under the knife. Hopefully next summer will make it happen.

SEMO Scuba
09-05-2010, 21:53
I went to Mermet yesterday and ended up doing two dives with a couple of the regulars that hang out there. We did a 61 minute and 72 minute wall dive. Viz was pretty fair. One of the dive buddies used an empty plastic water bottle to catch a fresh water jellyfish. I took pictures of a second one we found. We saw several of the spoonbill, I had never seen that many before. One just swam around in front of us for a few minutes. Had a good time, it was nice to get wet. Thanks Jess, Mike, and Teri.

FFDiver
09-06-2010, 06:38
I went to Mermet yesterday and ended up doing two dives with a couple of the regulars that hang out there. We did a 61 minute and 72 minute wall dive. Viz was pretty fair. One of the dive buddies used an empty plastic water bottle to catch a fresh water jellyfish. I took pictures of a second one we found. We saw several of the spoonbill, I had never seen that many before. One just swam around in front of us for a few minutes. Had a good time, it was nice to get wet. Thanks Jess, Mike, and Teri.

Sounds like you had a good dive. I have not tried to catch any of the freshwater jellyfish before. The quarry I dive in a lot has a ton of fish in it. WHen you get a chance post some pics you took.

snagel
09-06-2010, 08:15
Semo,

Been wanting to get back down to Mermet. (BTW, FFDiver, I haven't been there in over a year due to a back issue last year) Anyway, can you elaborate a little more on the conditions - fair? It's a 6-hour drive for me and don't want to make that and find the viz is horrible.

Snagel

SEMO Scuba
09-06-2010, 20:14
Snagel the viz was really good for Mermet. Viz was probably about 20-25 feet from surface to first thermocline, then was anywhere from 25 to 40 feet as you went deeper. The folks working there said viz is the best it has been all year. I would imagine it will continue to get better or at least not get worse unless we get heavy rains to wash sediment into it.

The small dot in the center pic is a freshwater jellyfish. The picture of sticks is for Split.