PDA

View Full Version : odd question

turtle_guy
09-10-2007, 22:04
A little while ago i wondered if you were to rhino-line a tank if it would just trap water or be a perfect coating. Any thoughts. Any Rhino-line personnel here to answer my question.

FishFood
09-10-2007, 22:07
Oh what a neat idea...

Youd probably have to get it pretty thick, and probably a better quality spray on like Line-X or something.

I doubt it'd trap water, one of the main purposes of a spray in liner is to prevent bed rust.

Of course, it'd be fairly expensive. More than Id want to spend vs $5 for a paint job.

EDIT:

After a quick google, I found a Line-X manager saying they spray scuba tanks....

"Line-X of Maui has what most truck owners need in accessories, and when their expansion is completed they'll be able to offer even more. But that's not their specialty - according to store manager Debbie Higa, "We do hot-spray bed liners to increase the value of your truck and protect your investment. In fact, we can spray almost anything from boats and trailers, scuba tanks, to floors and decks at your home. We even sprayed the entire exterior of a truck for a customer.""

texarkandy
09-10-2007, 22:25
would that cause a problem when getting vips?

Capt Hook
09-10-2007, 23:51
My only question would be - why?

NitroWill
09-10-2007, 23:57
More then likely VIP would remove it if you wanted it to pass...

Unless they have gotten some kind of approval like Tank Skins did.. But I doubt it...

turtle_guy
09-11-2007, 00:42
My only question would be - why?
To protect the tank from rust and any kind of abrasive damage and as rough as the coating is you tank would never slip again

CompuDude
09-11-2007, 00:51
Seems like a neat idea, but:

Q1) Where would your vis inspection sticker go?
A1) Tanks can't be filled without a vis inspection sticker.

Q2) How would you see the hydro date stamp?
A2) Tanks can't be filled without the hydro date stamp.

Q3) How would you tell if water got under the lining?
A3) Scuba tanks are under immense pressure when you bring them down to any decent depth. The slightest little pinprick or crack, which wouldn't matter in the slightest on a truckbed at 1 ATA, will turn into a mini water jet at 4 ATA. Then the moisture would be trapped under the layer, with no way to get it out or dry it. Result: Bad rust spots (or oxidation, in the case of aluminum tanks).

Q4) Even if you overcome #1 - #2, how will the inspector, after 1 year, inspect the outside of tank for damage and rust spots without removing the rhino lining?
A4) It would suck to have to remove that lining and have it re-done every year.

I don't think it's gonna work... :(

woody
09-11-2007, 01:08
Seems like a neat idea, but:

Q1) Where would your vis inspection sticker go?
A1) Tanks can't be filled without a vis inspection sticker.

Incorrect, Visual Inspections are not mandated by any regulating authority for SCUBA Cylinders. They are however usually required by the fill station operators.

Q2) How would you see the hydro date stamp?
A2) Tanks can't be filled without the hydro date stamp.

Correct! Hydro static testing is mandated and regulated by the Department of Transportation

Q3) How would you tell if water got under the lining?
A3) Scuba tanks are under immense pressure when you bring them down to any decent depth. The slightest little pinprick or crack, which wouldn't matter in the slightest on a truckbed at 1 ATA, will turn into a mini water jet at 4 ATA. Then the moisture would be trapped under the layer, with no way to get it out or dry it. Result: Bad rust spots (or oxidation, in the case of aluminum tanks).

PSI training for the inspection process requires external examination of the tank. Removal of all stickers/coverings that might impair that part of the inspection process is recommended by them.

Q4) Even if you overcome #1 - #2, how will the inspector, after 1 year, inspect the outside of tank for damage and rust spots without removing the rhino lining?
A4) It would suck to have to remove that lining and have it re-done every year.

yep and expensive.

I don't think it's gonna work... :(
I agree.

danielh03
09-11-2007, 02:52
Ok if the spray on linnings wont work, what about an acrilic?

ScaredSilly
09-11-2007, 12:23
Use them, abuse them, then clean up with applicance enamel paint.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 10:48
That would make for the ugliest tank, eV-AR.

cshel
10-13-2007, 11:18
That would make for the ugliest tank, eV-AR.

Last week we dove with a guy who had the ugliest tanks I'd ever seen. Didn't seem to effect his diving any.

WHO CARES what it looks like as long as it does the job??!?

tbuckalew
10-13-2007, 11:47
The thing about covering the tank with anything is that if it appears that it may conceal any damage to the tank, they may not cert the tank. Part of a visual is not just the inside, but also any gauges, dings, or other external damage that may compromise the integrity of the tank.

It is much easier to accept that a tank won't look as nice after a few years of use as the day you bought it.

No Misses
10-13-2007, 16:51
One more voice... The Rhino lining on my truck bed (and speargun) is kinda foamy. I'm sure that it would add some unnecissary buoyancy to your tank.