PDA

View Full Version : Photos and trip report from Truk/Chuuk Lagoon

Fox
09-10-2007, 22:27
Hi guys, I am safely back in Melbourne (have been for a few days) and I've got a link for you to check out my better Truk Lagoon pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=14634&l=ac76f&id=500195665

The trip was outstanding, the quality of the wreck dives, the weather, hotel food and dive guides made the trip a real pleasure. If anyone has any specific questions for future trips I'll be happy to answer them, otherwise enjoy the pics and feel free to comment, but don't be too harsh as this was the first time I've taken underwater pics. :smiley20:

PS sadly Internet photos lack the crisp resolution and colour of the original seven megapixel shots (because I had to chop their size right down) but you get the general idea of the shots.

FishFood
09-10-2007, 22:28
Very Nice!

BTW, looks like you found Nemo ;)

Aussie
09-10-2007, 22:31
G'day Fox,

Can you tell me more about your trip.

Like costings and where and who you dived with as I would like to do the same trip soon.

Cheers Aussie

Illini_Fan
09-10-2007, 22:38
Great photos -- if my metric/feet conversion is correct, that one photo subtitled "deep" was around 175 feet?

Great colors as well, approximately how deep were you in the "nemo" shots?

picxie
09-11-2007, 01:41
Wow, I am so envious. I'd also be interested in details of cost and who you went with too.

Fox
09-11-2007, 02:48
Cheers FishFood, there were plenty of Nemo's around, in fact there was one living by the pier beside the hotel. Unfortunately photos I took of him were spoilt by stirred up silt in the area.

Aussie (and picxie) I dived with the Blue Lagoon resort operation, they are more expensive to stay with and dive with than Truk Stop, I think rates are up on their website for room rates and dive costs. Meals were approx. AUD15 each when you even things out over the day, USD6 pancakes for breakfast, USD11 for a take-away grilled chicken lunch (..not great) and perhaps USD15 for a decent sized dinner. Flights were with Continental Airlines and were not cheap.

I organised my trip with Allways Dive Expeditions, if you'd like a specific costing for a particular number of nights/dives and have a time of year in mind I'm sure they would be happy to put together a quote for you. (That's if you're in Oz, otherwises any local dive holiday company could help.)

While I was there it was dead quiet, occupancy at the Hotel was under 20 percent. Their peak season is December through April apparently, I'm glad it was quiet while I was there, it made for empty wrecks and no silted up cargo holds and cabins.

In my opinion there are few reasons to use a liveaboard at Truk as all dive sites can be accessed within minutes from the resort.. it would be fun though. (Average time from the dock to a dive site would be 20 minutes.)

Illini_Fan, 175 feet is correct, my divemaster was very relaxed about depth, we had been at 175 feet for about 10 minutes when he asked if I wanted to see a tractor at approx. 65 metres! (210 feet or there abouts I believe.) I indicated no, 54 metres/175 feet on a single tank was deep enough for me.. not to mention it was not a great fill to start with (3000psi) and both the divemaster and I had small leaks coming from our first stages. Lol. :smiley36:

I ended up with 30 minutes of deco obligation for that dive.

Krakenn
09-11-2007, 04:30
Well done pal.

Kraks

DennisW
09-11-2007, 07:48
Sounds like a nice trip. Thanks for sharing your pictures. It must have been surreal diving in a grave yard.

lucidblue
09-11-2007, 07:50
The photos look good! What kind of camera set-up do you have?

Travelnsj
09-11-2007, 09:56
Nice photos....glad you had a great time.

Foo2
09-11-2007, 10:27
Wow! Looks like a cool place! I would imagine that it was kinda eerie at times though. Thanks for sharing!

eyezz
09-11-2007, 11:35
WOW,WOW,WOW, That was awsome, My wife and I were looking at all the great pictures and great description, That brings back history about what war is.
You must of had a perma smile the whole time.

deepdiver47
09-11-2007, 14:15
Did you go to shark island?

gtjason2000
09-11-2007, 22:28
I agree on your best shot

lucidblue
09-11-2007, 22:30
The skulls and remains would completely freak me out. Don't think I could handle it.

FyVe
09-11-2007, 23:23
i like the picture of the bottle with the fish sucking his lips to it lol. great stuff man how would you ever apologize for those photos? the quality looks great!!

Travelnsj
09-11-2007, 23:58
Fox...what dive did you see those remains?.....I stayed at the Blue Lagoon and dove with them for 5 days and never heard of any wrecks with remains....I know it was either the 70's or 80's the Japanese came down to Palau and Truk and removed any bones they could find and took them back home.

Fox
09-12-2007, 02:26
Thanks for the positive comments guys! Very much appreciated. I hope to keep up my U/W photography now that I have a taste for it, just a pity I won't have such great subjects to work with!

Lucidblue the camera is a Canon a570IS which I used with the standard Canon housing which is rated to 40 metres. I was a bit nervous taking it to 50+ metres but it didn't leak.. some of the secondary buttons however (delete for example) didn't work at that depth.

Deepdiver alas I didn't get out to the outer reef and Shark Island, I was having a day off diving when they chartered a trip out there.

Travelnsj my dive logging is very limited, just the name of the wreck and depth so I can't say which ones had the remains. You're right, the Japanese did remove almost all of the remains in the early 80s however there are skill a couple of sculls and bones down there tucked away.. the intact skull for example was tucked into a tight corner of a wreck that a guide directed me to. It was actually fused into the wrecks structure, quite strange. Of the 15 or so wrecks I dived I think only two, perhaps three had remains (that I found.)

Fox
09-12-2007, 02:40
Edit: double post.

chinacat46
09-13-2007, 08:10
Nice shots. Good on you mate!

mwhities
09-13-2007, 08:29
Great pictures!!!!

Only I'd NEVER dive Truk with a single tank. That's just STUPID!!! How could you? Don't you know that you could stay down a WHOLE lot longer in doubles? ;)

Once I get doubles and a few hundred dives with them, I'm going to Truk.

Michael

Fox
09-13-2007, 19:00
Great pictures!!!!

Only I'd NEVER dive Truk with a single tank. That's just STUPID!!! How could you? Don't you know that you could stay down a WHOLE lot longer in doubles? ;)

Once I get doubles and a few hundred dives with them, I'm going to Truk.

Michael

Because the wrecks are fairly deep the dive time is normally cut short because of no deco limits. The single tanks they have are adequate though it would be nice if they had a couple of 100 cf tanks available.

For anyone considering a trip to Truk you don't need to wait until you have hundreds of dives, twin tanks and technical certifications before you go. An advanced open water cert. and a padi deep and wreck course would easily cover Truks diving, the diving conditions are easy and shouldn't be overestimated. Decent buoyancy control and frog finning are the key skills to have so silt isn't stirred up in the wrecks.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 06:53
Awesome pics! The remains are freaky, though.....

Krakenn
09-24-2007, 20:11
Start saving for the next big trip say Rabaul or PNG.

See you down there Fox

Kraks

kingfish
09-25-2007, 04:16
Nice...thanks for sharing :)

Jas.

SeaLily
09-26-2007, 19:32
Nice images! We did Truk Lagoon in January and absolutely loved the diving there - great visibility and almost no current though the boat rides were quite bumpy and wet going full speed to each site. We also stayed at the Blue Lagoon Resort.

We combined it with a trip to Palau and Yap since we were already in the area. Would do the trip again in a flash.