4 tomatillos
1/2 cup loose packed cilantro leaves and stems
1/2 large ripe avocado
1 clove garlic
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
tobasco sauce to taste

Grill bell pepper and tomatillos on BBQ or under broiler in oven until flesh is soft. Peel skin from bell pepper and discard.
Put tomatillos, bell pepper and all other salsa ingredients into food processor and pulse until well combined but still a bit chunky.

Taco Filling:
4 skinless red snapper or halibut fillets(about 24 oz)
1 tsp pure chile powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Lightly brush or spray both sides of fillets with vegetable oil and season with chile powder and salt.
Grill over direct high heat on BBQ until fish begins to flake (or you can broil fillets in oven).
Remove from grill, separate into large flakes using two forks and place into a bowl.

Heat soft flour tortillas, pile fish and chopped lettuce onto tortillas and top with salsa. Fantastic!

Lulubelle
09-04-2010, 18:08
Salsa:
1 green pepper
4 tomatillos
1/2 cup loose packed cilantro leaves and stems
1/2 large ripe avocado
1 clove garlic
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
tobasco sauce to taste

Grill bell pepper and tomatillos on BBQ or under broiler in oven until flesh is soft. Peel skin from bell pepper and discard.
Put tomatillos, bell pepper and all other salsa ingredients into food processor and pulse until well combined but still a bit chunky.

Taco Filling:
4 skinless red snapper or halibut fillets(about 24 oz)
1 tsp pure chile powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Lightly brush or spray both sides of fillets with vegetable oil and season with chile powder and salt.
Grill over direct high heat on BBQ until fish begins to flake (or you can broil fillets in oven).
Remove from grill, separate into large flakes using two forks and place into a bowl.

Heat soft flour tortillas, pile fish and chopped lettuce onto tortillas and top with salsa. Fantastic!

Yum. Thanks for posting this. I haven't quite gotten the fish taco thing down yet. Too many places use fried fish (yuck) for me to copy them.

Friend speared a monster grouper last weekend. I have a bunch of it. I bet grouper would work pretty well.

mm2002
09-04-2010, 18:28
Good recipe, and I love fish tacos. Like Lulu said though, I hate when they used battered fried fish. You're recipe would also be great with blackened fish. As far as using grouper, I think it would be awesome. I've used Flounder, Cod, and fresh water Bass and Catfish, and they all make really good tacos. The key is using any fish that grills up white, flaky, and clean tasting (not too "fishy"). I prefer corn tortillas, but flour is good too.

Splitlip
09-04-2010, 18:45
very nice Dawn.

Rileybri
09-04-2010, 19:16
Mui yummeyoso! lol

Travelnsj
09-04-2010, 19:37
Well you got me in the mood for a Taco....now who is going to fix that for me?....I guess Taco bell will have to be the fix!

Lulubelle
09-04-2010, 22:30
Well you got me in the mood for a Taco....now who is going to fix that for me?....I guess Taco bell will have to be the fix!

Hmmm, someone is being high maintenance? You can fix it yourself big boy.

scubagirlj
09-05-2010, 00:22
sounds delicious! but would add a drizzle of mexican "crema"(thin, tangier sour cream) & a squeeze of lime

dawnvip
09-05-2010, 20:13
I totally agree with mm, any white flaky fish will work well. We have a lot of halibut here so I end up using it alot.
Glad you all like the recipie!

bubbletrubble
09-06-2010, 05:39
Oh, man. This is just wrong. Here in the San Diego area, we've got several excellent choices for fish tacos. South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach is quite tasty. However, arguably the best Baja fare can be found at the Mariscos German food truck (more than one exists). Yeah, the truck serves up yummy 99 cent fish tacos, but it also offers the Gobernador (shrimp taco with onions, bell pepper, celery, tomatoes) and a marlin taco that's amazing. I've been to the truck parked near the intersection of University Ave. and 35th St. Highly recommended!

Here's a link to a review (http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2008/06/tres-tacos-at-m.html) on a well-known San Diego foodie's blog.

I realize that the Mariscos trucks are all quite a drive from Temecula, but perhaps you can hit one up the next time you're in town.

Travelnsj
09-06-2010, 09:42
Oh, man. This is just wrong. Here in the San Diego area, we've got several excellent choices for fish tacos. South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach is quite tasty. However, arguably the best Baja fare can be found at the Mariscos German food truck (more than one exists). Yeah, the truck serves up yummy 99 cent fish tacos, but it also offers the Gobernador (shrimp taco with onions, bell pepper, celery, tomatoes) and a marlin taco that's amazing. I've been to the truck parked near the intersection of University Ave. and 35th St. Highly recommended!

Here's a link to a review (http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2008/06/tres-tacos-at-m.html) on a well-known San Diego foodie's blog.

I realize that the Mariscos trucks are all quite a drive from Temecula, but perhaps you can hit one up the next time you're in town.

LOL...LOL....I used to love Alberto's and Roberto's but none close by here....But next time i'm in SD...I'll keep Mariscos in mind!

Bambuild
09-06-2010, 09:54
Tried Taco Bell last night, didn't see the fish taco choice on the menu, guess I'm gonna have to try Long John Silvers, heard they got cheap fish.lol Don't have much of a selection here in MI., maybe I'm gonna have to make it myself, wife doesn't like fish.

want2Bdivin
09-28-2010, 20:50
NOOOOOO to the batter, that is just wrong! How you do it...
Start with firm white fish fillets cut into 3/4-inch cubes and set aside (do not use a wimpy soft fish for this or it will turn to fish mush).
Heat up a good heavy skillet or wok, add about 1/4 cup oil, drop in as much garlic as you can stand, about 1/2 tsp of fresh ground cumin, 1/2 tsp of onion powder, then drop in the fish, add salt & pepper to taste.
Stir fry for about 3 minutes then add juice from 1-2 limes and 1 can of crushed tomatoes (drain the juice).
Continue cooking for until fish is done (not very long!)
Serve of fresh corn tortillas topped with finely julienned cabbage, a slice of avacado and a lime wedge.
Add a cold beer and chow down! :smiley30: :smiley30: :smiley30:

navyhmc
09-28-2010, 20:53
Sounds good!!!!

easttexasdiver
07-16-2011, 10:22
Yum.....it is time to eat