PDA

View Full Version : Feasting On Waves

TwistedSister209
09-05-2010, 16:19
I'm watching the Cooking Channel and Alton Brown is sailing from island to island in the Caribbean catching/using island fare. He just cooked some trigger fish on coals. Looked good. He made a dipping sauce starting with a cup of sea water, then added some hot sauce and lime juice.
Think this would be a fun kind of trip--as long as I'm not the cook!

navyhmc
09-06-2010, 00:17
Feasting on waves is a great series, along with Feasting on Asphalt (except where he breaks his arm...) and Fasting on Asphalt II The river road. I missed it this time, darn!

Chilly
09-06-2010, 08:55
Reminds me of cruising in the VIs and Jerk Rib Eye Steaks.

Jerk Rub
· 1 tsp Nutmeg
· 2 tsp White Pepper
· 1/4 c Black Pepper
· 1/4 c Kosher salt (original recipe 1/2 c salt)
· 3/4 c freshly ground Allspice
· 3/4 c Brown Sugar
· 3/4 c Orange Juice
· 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper
· 1 bunch Jamaican Thyme (about 10 stalks, picked from hard stems)
· 8 whole Garlic cloves
· 3/4 c chopped Scallions (green onions)
· 2 cups whole Ajicito pepper (can substitute Poblano or Anaheim Peppers)

Put ajicito peppers, Scotch bonnet pepper, garlic cloves, thyme and scallions in food processor and pulse until it forms a paste. Then add the remaining ingredients except for the orange juice and blend. Slowly stream OJ into the processor until all is incorporated. You may adjust the amount of Orange Juice used depending on how dry or wet you prefer the rub to be. I like it be the consistency of a chutney.

Smear paste over one side of steak and season the other side with salt and pepper. Marinate for 1 hour or up to 48 hours – 24 hours is perfect. Place steak on a hot grill and cook to desired doneness.

Shadow Benny Sauce:
· 1 cup densely packed Shadow Benny* leaves
· 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat Italian parsley leaves
· 1 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed if available)
· 1/2 fresh Scotch bonnet pepper (or habanero)
· 1/4 cup chopped scallions
· 6 whole peeled garlic cloves
· Salt to taste (original recipe 1 T salt)

Put all ingredients in blender and blend till smooth-add a little extra lime juice if puree is too thick.

* "Shadow Benny”
An herb that looks like dandelion leaves with elongated saw-toothed green leaves, aka Culantro or Recao. The Vietnamese also use this herb so it can be found in Asian Supermarkets

Rileybri
09-06-2010, 09:21
Reminds me of cruising in the VIs and Jerk Rib Eye Steaks.

Jerk Rub
· 1 tsp Nutmeg
· 2 tsp White Pepper
· 1/4 c Black Pepper
· 1/4 c Kosher salt (original recipe 1/2 c salt)
· 3/4 c freshly ground Allspice
· 3/4 c Brown Sugar
· 3/4 c Orange Juice
· 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper
· 1 bunch Jamaican Thyme (about 10 stalks, picked from hard stems)
· 8 whole Garlic cloves
· 3/4 c chopped Scallions (green onions)
· 2 cups whole Ajicito pepper (can substitute Poblano or Anaheim Peppers)

Put ajicito peppers, Scotch bonnet pepper, garlic cloves, thyme and scallions in food processor and pulse until it forms a paste. Then add the remaining ingredients except for the orange juice and blend. Slowly stream OJ into the processor until all is incorporated. You may adjust the amount of Orange Juice used depending on how dry or wet you prefer the rub to be. I like it be the consistency of a chutney.

Smear paste over one side of steak and season the other side with salt and pepper. Marinate for 1 hour or up to 48 hours – 24 hours is perfect. Place steak on a hot grill and cook to desired doneness.

Shadow Benny Sauce:
· 1 cup densely packed Shadow Benny* leaves
· 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat Italian parsley leaves
· 1 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed if available)
· 1/2 fresh Scotch bonnet pepper (or habanero)
· 1/4 cup chopped scallions
· 6 whole peeled garlic cloves
· Salt to taste (original recipe 1 T salt)

Put all ingredients in blender and blend till smooth-add a little extra lime juice if puree is too thick.

* "Shadow Benny”
An herb that looks like dandelion leaves with elongated saw-toothed green leaves, aka Culantro or Recao. The Vietnamese also use this herb so it can be found in Asian Supermarkets

I so agree! the little jerk shack but the customs dock on JVD is mouth watteringly good!

TwistedSister209
09-06-2010, 12:04
I so agree! the little jerk shack but the customs dock on JVD is mouth watteringly good!

Now I've got another place to visit! JVD!
Navy, I haven't seen Feasting on Asphalt.
Thanks for the recipe, Chilly!!

Rileybri
09-06-2010, 13:01
Jost is one of those places you go to do nothing but sit in a hammock and drink rum drinks while you watch the world go by. It has really two attractions. Foxy's (http://www.foxysbar.com/home.html) just about the coolest place to see live music in the VI's (also the home of the biggest coolest New Years party in the world! The Second is The Soggy Dollar Bar (http://www.soggydollar.com/) named that due to the fact that the only dock on the island is the customs dock. Everyone else just drops anchor and swims in. The only thing you need to bring is cash. Thus when you pay for your drink they hang your cash up to dry before placing it in the register. It is one of those places you must visit at least once before you die.

TwistedSister209
09-06-2010, 14:03
Jost is one of those places you go to do nothing but sit in a hammock and drink rum drinks while you watch the world go by. It has really two attractions. Foxy's (http://www.foxysbar.com/home.html) just about the coolest place to see live music in the VI's (also the home of the biggest coolest New Years party in the world! The Second is The Soggy Dollar Bar (http://www.soggydollar.com/) named that due to the fact that the only dock on the island is the customs dock. Everyone else just drops anchor and swims in. The only thing you need to bring is cash. Thus when you pay for your drink they hang your cash up to dry before placing it in the register. It is one of those places you must visit at least once before you die.
Thanks, RB!!

My daughter brought me a T-shirt from Foxy's! She loved it, but she didn't mention The Soggy Dollar. :smiley36: