PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a hood online?

chefchris
09-11-2007, 10:08
I'm cursed with living in Mississippi. The closest dive shop is 2 hours away. We plan on diving ABWA again next weekend but want hoods before we go back. :smiley5: I would stop by Dive Sports but it's way the heck out of the way. So I started looking online. The only thing is, i'm not sure about fitting. I've never tried on a hood nor do I know how big my head is.

I'm 5'11" About 155 lbs. I would think a small or medium, but would hate to get the wrong size and have to exchange it. So is there some kind of size chart? I've looked but didn't see anything.

Thanks.

creggur
09-11-2007, 10:20
We ordered a hooded vest for my wife from ST. Called and talked to Joe about sizing, and it came in just fine...

awap
09-11-2007, 10:38
If you are not sure, order 2 or 3 and return the one(s) that don't fit. A little extra postage is more than offset by a 4 hour drive and MSRP. You might want to try on a few hats to get a useful measure of your head size.

sudnit5
09-11-2007, 10:51
I ordered a hood online and called about sizing as well. It fits fine.

Charlotte Smith
09-11-2007, 10:52
We ordered a hooded vest for my wife from ST. Called and talked to Joe about sizing, and it came in just fine...
I agree..we ordered wetsuits and they didn't fit (our mistake not ST) and they sent us another size almost overnight and fixed the problem. Definitely the way to go!:smiley20:

CompuDude
09-11-2007, 12:10
From ScubaToys, yes. Call them.

From another shop, doubtful. I suppose I'd order an identical replacement for a hood I already own and know works well.

ScaredSilly
09-11-2007, 12:31
If you are not sure, order 2 or 3 and return the one(s) that don't fit. A little extra postage is more than offset by a 4 hour drive and MSRP. You might want to try on a few hats to get a useful measure of your head size.

Totally agree on the above if you are really unsure. Return shipping would be a couple of $$. I have done this with boots on several occasions.

brandon
09-11-2007, 12:42
Call Joe... there's likely an easy head measurement that he can help you with.

I'm going to guess medium.

-B.

Kidder
09-11-2007, 20:58
I bought my hood on line no problem. Maybe I have a big head, but Hendersons seem to be a bit on the small side

ScubaToys Larry
09-11-2007, 21:03
If you go to our section on gloves, hoods and boots, there is a link at the top that says hood and glove sizing chart.

It takes you to this page: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/wetsuits/glovesize.asp

The hood sizing is near the bottom. Hope that helps!

BobArnold8265
09-11-2007, 21:29
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a hood, gloves or wetsuit on line. In fact I have purchased all three in the past for both my Wife and me. Most on-line dealers will exchange them if they don't fit, return your money if you don't like them and charge you much less than a local dive shop. You can't beat that.

skdvr
09-11-2007, 22:13
I too have bought a hood online. I purchased an XS scuba hooded vest that I really like online. It fit my just like the size chart said. If it did not I just would have sent it back for another.

Dive shops will always tell you that if you buy something online and it does not fit that you are stuck with it. Just check before hand but a lot of them are not that way. As a matter of fact I wanted to order the same hooded vest from my LDS at one point for my wife and they told me that since they do not carry them that once I got it, it was mine and I could not return it. Which I found kind of interesting. If they do not carry it themselves then you cannot return it to them if you do not like it. That is just one more reason that I will oder stuff online....

Phil

Bill22
09-13-2007, 21:34
I bought my hood online and it fits fine. Call ST... I'm sure they can help you get the right size.

jo8243
09-17-2007, 16:36
Yes, I would (I did). Like others have said, returning it is simple if you need to. Measure your head and post the circumference around your forehead in inches.