PDA

View Full Version : Scary unedited near catastrophe video

Straegen
09-10-2010, 13:49
Seaduction ® | scuba diving | scuba diving equipment | scuba gear - Trust Me (to Death) Dive - Caught on Video (http://seaduction.com/scuba-diving-diver-down/3057-2010-0906_near_fatal_shipwreck_scuba_dive.html)

The breathing alone makes it an intense watch much less the two screams he let out in the middle and near the end of the video. Wow!

Rileybri
09-10-2010, 14:09
wow turned my stomach to hear him yelling through his reg.

TwistedSister209
09-10-2010, 14:54
Gave me chills. Watching and reviewing the analysis just further points out that I'm not ready to start on wreck diving just yet. Thanks for bringing this to the forum.

gNats
09-10-2010, 15:07
Wow. nuff said.

Lenaxia
09-10-2010, 15:55
I really did get the chills watching that.

If there's anything that I've learned from all the sports that I do (and I do many of them), it is that safety equipment is paramount. It's equipment that you hope will never be used, but when you need it, you need it.

I will NEVER dive without 2 lights, a cutting device, a whistle, a mirror, a glowstick and a reel/SMB (which can be used as a guideline). I plan on adding a backup mask to that list as soon as I get my drysuit. It doesn't matter how bright and mid-day the dive or how busy the dive site is, safety equipment should never be left at home.

My dive kit is over kill, but you won't be saying that when an emergency arises.

navyhmc
09-10-2010, 23:11
tag for future view

oddbod
09-11-2010, 04:36
Sadly, it brings back memories from a far distant youth when we thought we were invincible. Finally got back to diving wrecks but with a lot more care and planning.

sfbluestar
09-11-2010, 05:26
Maybe Michael Ange intentionally avoided discussing about any of the diver's judgements, but there are a couple, aside from the most obvious (Why enter an overhead environment? Why no lights, etc.), that I find worth of some thought:

When the two were being led down the staircase, why didn't the diver's buddy sense something was wrong just like the diver?

And why didn't the diver get the attention of his buddy to re-group if not call off the dive?

scubastud
09-11-2010, 05:43
I commend the guy for his .. well courage to share the video, and for bringing himself out of a near total panic situation.

The diver's story and assesment, and the comments afterwards were well put together . I am liking this website.

I think this would be a great video to show in an advanced class, wow the students would have oodles to discuss wouldn't they?

Strike that, maybe better to show during an open water class... not to scare anyone, but to hit home how important it is to dive within your limits.

And SF yes, I agree extremly poor dive buddy-ness... cool I think I made up a word!

TJDiver
09-11-2010, 07:38
I just showed this to my 14-year old son, and as they were headed into the wreck, I asked him what he saw wrong. He immediately replied, "No light!"...followed closely by, "No line!" I asked him, besides stupidity, what does this mean? He replied that they weren't trained or prepared for wreck diving, and shouldn't be penetrating the wreck. I don't claim to be doing everything right by him, but am darned glad we're getting at least this part right.

Bigg_Budd
09-11-2010, 07:56
straight up nuts...

Straegen
09-11-2010, 08:54
I think this would be a great video to show in an advanced class, wow the students would have oodles to discuss wouldn't they?

Strike that, maybe better to show during an open water class... not to scare anyone, but to hit home how important it is to dive within your limits.

And SF yes, I agree extremly poor dive buddy-ness... cool I think I made up a word!

I agree completely. Since the guy made it out alive despite what was stacked against them there are all kinds of great lessons to take out of this. Buddying, limits, panic control, proper equipment, dive planning, etc.

Chilly
09-11-2010, 12:59
Like the rules we follow governing many other activities, SCUBA guidance is frequently written in the blood of those who did not survive.

Lack of discipline can be a killer, and it does not help, as mentioned in the analysis, that you can, "Go to virtually any resort with a wreck nearby and the divemasters will with a wink and nod either let you do a “simple swim through” or even take you there themselves. And thousand of divers every year accept the offer – some fatally, in spite of deficiencies in training, improper equipment and a host of other contra-indicators."

If dive supervisors do not demonstrate discipline, what should we expect from other divers?

thecheeseman
12-11-2010, 22:44
I know im bumping an old thread...but this video gave me chills....It's schocking to see how close this was..

Davetowz
12-11-2010, 23:35
This vid deserves viewing every once in a while. Especially for diver of my experience level (50-60 dives) who are getting the basic skills down pretty good and might lose track of the common sense. I have experienced my #1 dive buddy drifting in his situational experience when we both went over 40 dives, I was having a time getting equalized and he left me at 30' and kept going. I chilled at 10-15' near his bubble trail until he came back up.....20 minutes later. I appreciate those who share the bad things with the good. I really believe I learn more from the mistakes...and in diving, I cannot afford to learn from MY mistakes.

Vercingetorix
12-12-2010, 08:03
Very interesting. As the diver confesses, it went against all his training to do this dive, but he did it anyway. Temptation. We've all been there and gone against our better judgement. My only question: why no dive light and guideline to the exit? Had he those two simple items, alls well would end well.

scubastud
12-12-2010, 08:14
no dive light... man I bring my little back up light with me on day dives with no wrecks in sight... never know when ya want to peek in a little crevice or something and it is small and weighs hardly nothing...
Old post, but glad it was resurrected.

bigman241
12-13-2010, 18:48
I agree 100%, with the move to wreck heaven(the keys) I have been thinking about what will come to be our focus of diving, the two things that brought us both to the sport, the overall desire to see wrecks, and the desire to see all the life.

In indiana not much in the way of wreck diving, knowing a wreck course on planes and tiny boats with instructors who have self admittedly have done very little wreck diving would not prepare us for diving wrecks like the speigel or the vanderberg. SO I put wreck diving and the cert out of my mine, with the move it came back quickly, every time I set two requirements for my self, at least 5 ocean dives, just diving before even booking a non penetration wreck dive and after getting acustom to the keys and so on, start looking for a highly recommended, highly experienced instructor to do the wreck cert, when the time was right.
I think to show this during even the OW or at least the AOW and wreck certs would put the fear of god into folks like me who at first though who I will just roll though this plan I have never been on and honestly CAN NOT SEE THE OTHER WHOLE. It also shows, just how a well trained diver can male a mistake.

On a side not, might be me but, I carry a light peiord, now I do not carry the big fat huge torch I got, but the small light that like my knife is always clipped to my bc.

Glad to see this and will be showing my dad, amazing how a well trained diver can make so many minor to huge mistakes that add up buddy gone, no line, no light, going in when not prepared or comfortable 100%, not putting anyone down. God knows I made I mistakes this season, heck I LEARNED MORE ABOUT THE DOS AND DON'TS OF WRECK DIVING WATCHING AND READING THIS THEN i DID IN MY INTRO wreck dive for AOW.
I commend the guy for his .. well courage to share the video, and for bringing himself out of a near total panic situation.

The diver's story and assesment, and the comments afterwards were well put together . I am liking this website.

bigman241
12-13-2010, 18:54
that was my first stop sign, I was wondering why no one had no light, then figured well maybe the light is enough, then they roll down a dark hallway. GOds way of giving him a spanking I guess
no dive light... man I bring my little back up light with me on day dives with no wrecks in sight... never know when ya want to peek in a little crevice or something and it is small and weighs hardly nothing...
Old post, but glad it was resurrected.

bigman241
12-13-2010, 18:55
wow it was old, I vote we sticky this at the top
I know im bumping an old thread...but this video gave me chills....It's schocking to see how close this was..

DivingCRNA
12-15-2010, 08:52
If it is a given that you got lost in that spot: why didn't he doff his gear, exit a port hole and re-don the gear outside?? This is not an option for every size of diver, but many people could have fit.

TJDiver
12-15-2010, 09:04
If it is a given that you got lost in that spot: why didn't he doff his gear, exit a port hole and re-don the gear outside?? This is not an option for every size of diver, but many people could have fit.

I would guess by the sound of his breathing, and the screams, that he was not in a particularly rational frame of mind at the moment he realized he needed an escape route. Panic...or as our instructor called it...your "lizard brain"...can do strange things to you.

DMWiz
12-15-2010, 10:15

I thought the same thing, but the port holes looked kind of small to me. At around 5 min. he looks out of one them and it seemed to me that I may have been able to squeeze my head and shoulders out but the waist and rear end would be a different story.

Reading the story, being able to arrest his crazy thoughts and stop the panic cycle as they teach you in rescue was the key for him. Another reason why I think rescue class should be done earlier than AOW.

Sobering video and a great lesson!

tacofranklin
12-15-2010, 16:51
This vid reminded me to purchase another dive light. Great marketing tool.

Grizbear98
12-16-2010, 09:11
What the heck were they thinking? Why would you ever want to go into a wreck with no lights?! How can you even enjoy the wreck with no lights?! That's just plain stupid on so many levels let alone the fact that they had no reel!

softballer
12-21-2010, 21:52
He is so lucky to be alive. My stomach knotted when I heard him scream..