PDA

View Full Version : Drysuit hole repair

Reg
09-10-2010, 23:48
I've found a tiny hole in my Bare Trilaminate Drysuit, what is best patch kit I can get for it?

jbres1
09-11-2010, 09:30
When you say tiny hole, are you talking about a pin hole or larger hole ?
I use aquaseal on small pin type holes and seal leaks.

Jim Breslin

Reg
09-14-2010, 07:01
Little bit bigger than a pin hole, I few people have a suggested Aquaseal from the inside of the suit (so thanks). Do I need to do anything to the outside of the suit as well. I'm concern the hole may catch on something and get bigger over time

gNats
09-14-2010, 07:09
I have heard to put the aquaseal on outside also. I wrote up a review on the new aquaseal uv in the repair section. You could call the mfg and ask for a swatch to make a patch for the outside. You would use a different glue however. Not aquaseal to adhere the patch.

ScubaAl
09-14-2010, 08:21
On my DUI 450 I have turbo soles. My turtle fins wore a small hole through the outer fabric and the boot itself. I put a small dab of aquaseal on the outside to stop it from getting any larger also turned the boot inside out and smeared aquaseal over the small hole on the inside. Has work fine for 20 dives or so.

Al

jj1987
09-29-2010, 23:17
I have heard to put the aquaseal on outside also. I wrote up a review on the new aquaseal uv in the repair section. You could call the mfg and ask for a swatch to make a patch for the outside. You would use a different glue however. Not aquaseal to adhere the patch.
You use a mixture of aquaseal and cotol 240, then multiple coats.

The real key to getting a solid leak test is blowing a suit up until the seals are about to stretch. Then all the seams have some stress. Once you have that, you'll want to spray it down liberally with soapy water. The soap will bubble around holes like this-
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs652.snc4/61203_614506084735_201400707_35328478_4481000_n.jp g

Once done with the leak test, rinse the suit with fresh water, let it fully dry (at least 24 hours for some suits). Once it's dry, THEN patch. Don't use a heat gun to speed this up, let it dry and come back for the other coats. Once you think you're good to go, leak test again and verify that no other holes are now obvious.