PDA

View Full Version : What About Pockets?

FishFood
07-13-2007, 12:23
Ive got a Scubapro Nighthawk BC. Its a great BC, but I have one problem, it has no pockets... I never found this a problem, but nowId like a pocket for things like a roll up snorkle, slate & pencil, and maybe some back up no-deco charts.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What are my options?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Any such thing as an "add a pocket"? http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks!</DIV>

FishFood
07-13-2007, 13:13
That's where the little buggers are hidden away, the techinical section. I appreciate it.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 13:17
Thigh pockets are the easiest solution. A better solution, albeit more hassle and expense, is to have good bellows pockets installed onto your wetsuit, drysuit, or perhaps a pair of X-Shorts (my preferred option, since they can move from wetsuit to wetsuit).

madrsx
07-13-2007, 18:05
One of my friends has the Knighthawk, and it seems to have a pocket that unrolls from a zipper on the bottom front of the BC. I don't know if this something he added, or if it came with the BC.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 18:09
Those roll-down pockets come with the KnightHawk. As pockets go, however, it's pretty funky. X-Shorts, or even the DiveRite Thigh Pocket, are better.

FishFood
07-13-2007, 18:45
One of my friends has the Knighthawk, and it seems to have a pocket that unrolls from a zipper on the bottom front of the BC. I don't know if this something he added, or if it came with the BC.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>LOL! Oops, I thought those were just a couple of very small pockets. That's good to know! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
X-Shorts, or even the DiveRite Thigh Pocket, are better. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How easy would that thigh pocket be to get to under water? I struggle just to put my "dive tool" back into the holster, which is on my calf. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Does anybody have any experience with Dive Rite's waist pocket?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 19:00
<div></div>
<div>LOL! Oops, I thought those were just a couple of very small pockets. That's good to know! </div>
<div></div>
<div>
X-Shorts, or even the DiveRite Thigh Pocket, are better. </div>
<div></div>
<div>How easy would that thigh pocket be to get to under water? I struggle just to put my "dive tool" back into the holster, which is on my calf. </div>
<div></div>

<div>Does anybody have any experience with Dive Rite's waist pocket?
I've used DiveRite's thigh pocket. It was good for holding stuff, and easy to access, but it had a tendency to rotate forward on my leg and be somewhat annoying throughout a dive, especially divine wet once suit compression kicks in. It was also one more thing to buckle... not the end of the world, but one more thing.

I have used DiveRite's bellows pockets mounted on my waist strap. This worked fairly well, but I didn't like cluttering up my front, when I had moved to a bp/w in part to get away from stuff all over me.

Finally, I got a drysuit with thigh pockets. Heaven! Simply reach down and stuff can be pulled out quite easily, remember you are weightless underwater, so it's easy to curl a bit to get easier access to the pockets.

So that I could have the same sort of pockets on my wetsuit, I finally went and bought a pair of X-Shorts.

Now I consider my gear configuration pretty complete.
</div>

texdiveguy
07-13-2007, 21:31
I too would recommend a pair of X-Shorts.......an EBay dealer has them in stock and ready for delivery....MUCH better than gluing/sewn a pocket to a wet suit or strapping a pocket such as the DR one mentioned above. You will also be able to use the pocketed shorts on all your suits,,wet or dry.

FishFood
07-13-2007, 21:40
Hmmm, the X shorts are tempting. Is this something I could find at a dive shop a try on? How comfortable would they be just by themselves? They looks kinda skimpy.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hopefully my LDS will have either the thigh pocket or Shorts. If not, time to give ScubaToys some money I guess :)</DIV>

texdiveguy
07-13-2007, 21:47
Hmmm, the X shorts are tempting. Is this something I could find at a dive shop a try on? How comfortable would they be just by themselves? They looks kinda skimpy.
<div></div>
<div>Hopefully my LDS will have either the thigh pocket or Shorts. If not, time to give ScubaToys some money I guess :)</div>

Actually most dive centers don't have them available. They are very comfy and can be worn a stand alone shorts....but may be a bit baggy in that they are designed primarily for layering over another suit. The new ones are very well constructed and are no more in cost than some glue on pockets of equal quality.
http://stores.ebay.com/Dive-Xtras

przeor
07-17-2007, 03:32
I've used the DR thigh pocket (still use it) and I really like it. On some dives it rotates forward, but it depends on the initial positioning. Most of the time it stays put just fine. It holds quite a bit of stuff and (in my opinion) doesn't look as goofy as x-shorts worn over a wetsuit. Of course it depends what temp you're diving. When we go warm water, I just wear board shorts with cargo pockets to hold stuff.

dutch552
07-17-2007, 05:48
I hated the roll-down pocket concept on my old AL Balance too, it just isn't very functional as a pocket when you need one and was always in the way when I wasn't using it. I constantly was snagging stuff on the thing. I bought a Dive Rite thigh pocket which is another good option that is very functional.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 14:04
Just make sure it is a pocket that can be used. I have two pockets on my BC which are just slightly above useless. I almost dislocate my shoulder and elbow tring to put something in the pocket when I have the BC on. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lucky(AR)
07-19-2007, 15:54
pockets come in handy and are a must my first b/c didnt have any ....no good