PDA

View Full Version : Dang It....Torn MCL

snagel
09-17-2010, 16:12
So, my boy (Sophomore) takes a pretty bad hit a couple weeks in his left knee during the kickoff at a football game (Chop Block). He mans up and fights through it saying every day it is better. Yesterday, we noticed that it is extremely swollen still and take him to the ortho. They suspect a torn MCL, put him in a brace and call for an MRI. Right now he is out for 4 weeks unless the MRI shows different.

He is so bummed right now. He was suppose to start varisity tonight (remember he's a sophomore). The football coach is not happy. His basketball coach called him into the office today when he heard he was walking around with a brace and wanted to know if he is out for basketball. Hopefully, not.

Dang It,

Snagel

Straegen
09-17-2010, 16:34
MCL tear is bad but completely reversible (usually with some scar tissue) in many cases and obviously a sprain is the best outcome. Hopefully it isn't completely torn and he dodges surgery even better it is not an ACL injury.

Good luck and I am hoping for the best.

TwistedSister209
09-17-2010, 17:05
Sorry, Snagel!!!!
Chop block hurt my son's knee too!!!

I hope your son heals quickly!!! I miss Friday night lights....

Lenaxia
09-17-2010, 17:54
Honestly as an athlete for my entire young life (starting from when I was 6 until the end of high school), and as someone who continues to be an athlete as a young adult, whenever I hear stories like this, I get the chills.

Losing, and permanently reducing my ability to be mobile on my feet is one of my worst fears. I already have two damaged knees and two damaged elbows (tendinitis) from Crew.

Worst case it can always be replaced.

Rileybri
09-17-2010, 18:50
Ok so from an athletic perspective I will give the following in put, feel free to share with your son as well. I was a competitive skier when I was younger and has less, much less fear. I was US Jr. Ski Team, High school and NCAA Div. I scholarships, corporate sponsorship and more. I hear the dreaded POP twice in those year and both sucked big time. BUT and this is a big BUT, both time I was able to make a fast and full recovery. In many ways my "bionic" knees were much stronger then my "old" knees. In the first case I did my ACL and MCL in a bad downhill fall (think ABC sports agony of defeat guy). It was fixed orthroscopically(sp) in about 4 hours and I spent 1 night in the hospital. The Next day I was doing leg flexing exercises and within a week (swelling had to subside a bit) I was in PT. I did 4 weeks of pre sug. PT as well to uber strengthen that leg to combat atrophy. and about 3 months till I was skiing again and another 3 till I was winning races again. But that was an ACL and an MCL. I also had a world class sports specific Orthro and PT facility at my disposal. The second time I heard the POP was about 10 years to the day after on the other knee and was just an MCL. In this case with PT and surge my recovery was 5 weeks door to door busting but in and out of PT. Swimming and swimming allot was a key for me. Kept my cardeo up and offered low resistance and hi impact the crazy part is that after the initial 15 to 30 mins. of injury and swelling it feels "ok". Ok that is so long as you dont need to pivot or weight unweight it. In some cases you can get way with no ligament at all and just beef up the muscles. For me It was surgery both times but in both cases I was able to come back stronger and faster then before it happened listen to what the PT (I called him my Personal Terrorist) says to do and do it to a tee and he will be fine. Better to fix it now and come back better then wait and hurt it more for a longer recovery.

alpha
09-17-2010, 20:09
Sorry about the injury Snagel. I hope your son heals fast.

I have a 15 year old guy 6ft 2 1/4 inches & 200lb. He plays in the band during the football games. He is on the swim team & will probably do track in the spring.

Football is an odds game of injury that I do not favor.
I played 3 years of varsity ball in High School and wish I had never done it. My knees and shoulder agree with my mind on this subject.

I told my son that he should play football if he 1. wants to be a coach or 2. has a chance to play pro ball; everyone else feeds the system.

Instead of playing ball for a college education, it's quicker to just pick up a job and pay your way with the number of hours you put in with football to get the scholarship and then you have to continue paying while in college with hours of practice. Working a part-time job is just as rewarding to pay your way and safer.

Of course kids have to find out for themselves everything from their first pulled back muscles from lifting too much weight to the eventual car accident from taking too many chances. :smiley2:

snagel
09-17-2010, 23:19
Thanks for the encouragement....it's been a long day. I think the kid did a lot of growing up today. He was first mad and then hurt. When I got to the game tonight, he was standing on the side line in his brace. Of course, many people came up to me asking what was going on. They all said the same thing....good thing he is getting this fixed and did not wait any time further. They all ended with, "he's going to be ready by basketball season...isn't he?" Funny thing on the way home he told me the same story....everybody asking about it and then wondering about basketball.

The game....they lost to a team by 30 points that they should have beat easily. He was kinda upset because the guys that were playing his position let 4 reverses go by ending in scores each time. I told him that he needed to help coach them up a little. When he sees things he needs to be talking to these guys and help them.

Hopefully Tuesday when we go back to the doc that there will some good news. Basically, from what I heard today we are not thinking surgery at this time unless the ligament is totally torn away. At this point, we are not thinking that.

Again thanks and I will share your thoughts with him.

Snagel

Lenaxia
09-17-2010, 23:59
As much pressure as there will be, be sure not rush into the new season. Is an extra few months in the season worth bring a cripple for the rest of your life? Like I mentioned before, I have permanent damage via tendinitis to all four major joints in my body and have had it as such since I was 17, it will never go away and they are always in pain, be it sitting, standing, sleeping, diving, rowing, running, biking, snowboarding.

It will be for him to learn, but you should also pay particular attention to what kind of PT is being done and be as involved as you can to help, but most importantly, make sure it's fully healed, that was my mistake.

snagel
09-18-2010, 09:00
I agree and yes the focus at this time is doing what is right for the long term. Initially, we went through all the emotions and trying to figure out how to get him back asap. There was/is a lot of pressure from coaches and players to see what can be done to get him back. I have to say I even was on that wagon trying to figure out how he could play. My son's first reaction was why couldn't this doctors appointment been on Monday instead of Friday so he could play.

There is a lot of pressure in kids sports these days. People spend a ton of money for camps, leagues, private coaching, etc (I know parents that have spent over $5000 for a week sports camp). Parents think that all this gives their kid opportunities and think this is in the best interest of the kids. There is huge competitiion at very young levels. I have to say that the level of play at the very young ages is far more advanced then when I was a kid. I've been involved in all kinds of sports (we play football, basketball, and baseball). I've always tried to make sure we were doing this for him and not me (I've seen so many dad's re-living their youth through their kids). This is something I talk about a lot with our kids because if they told me today they didn't want this we would move on to something else. (I say "our kids" but I only have 1, but we have a group of 4 kids that have played together forever - they are all like my own) Now our kids are in high school and the pressure gets even more intense. Coaches and the community know who the kids are that have played since before they were in school. The expectations are huge and many believe these are the kids that will lead the teams to championships. Before our kids were in high school the high school coaches knew them. The coaches would visit with them and even come see them play.

You have to make a gut check here when one is hurt. The best interest for everybody is to focus on getting him fixed the right way. You can't really listen to him because he has been programmed to play and win (maybe he believes at any/all cost).

Snagel

Lenaxia
09-18-2010, 12:04
There is hope yet for parents worldwide! Snagel, I don't know you but I'm proud that you as a parent understand that. You put into words exactly my frustration with team competition these days. The pressure to be first, and even more, the pressure to get a college scholarship. Hell, I was doing rowing at the time and that's not even a NCAA sport and we were still pushing super hard for scholarships! (damn you title 9! burn in hell please!). Being only 24, I know all too well the pressures these days...

Thanks for being a good parent Snagel.

Rileybri
09-22-2010, 06:14
Hay snagel just wondering how you guy is doing with all this now that it has had some time to sink in? You could not be doing a better job for him in setting priorities for later in life! Keep us posted will ya?

TwistedSister209
09-22-2010, 10:47
Hay snagel just wondering how you guy is doing with all this now that it has had some time to sink in? You could not be doing a better job for him in setting priorities for later in life! Keep us posted will ya?

+1 Keep us up on his progress.

snagel
09-22-2010, 18:29
Well, not good news at all. Had the appointment to reveiw the MRI and was told the MCL is totally torn and the ACL is partially torn. Doctor wants him totally immobolized for 4 weeks and review it at that time. He's thinking he's out of all sports for a year and probably surgery on the ACL.

Tomorrow morning we are going for a 2nd opinion with a Sports Doctor that works with the University of Missouri. I've heard he does a technique called PRP (not sure what it stands for). But, in general terms they take blood from him, clean it and take out the "bad cells" add some high power stuff and inject it back into the knee. This rapidly speeds up the healing process. (This is how it was explained to me). Anyway, hopefully we have better news tomorrow. At this point, we are not thinking he will be playing anytime soon....maybe next year. But, if we can speed up the healing and get him back into rehab and conditioning all the better.

Thanks for asking and all the concerns,

Snagel

Lenaxia
09-22-2010, 18:46
Interesting.

Here's an article on PRP: PRP (http://doctorricklehman.com/prp/)
Here's a clinical study on it: PRP shows little benefit in ACL reconstruction at 6 months (http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/apr10/clinical3.asp)

There are more resources, and that second link is NOT a definitive source and should not be used as such. PRP seems to be pretty widespread and has to have some merit to be that far reaching, it is merely there as a device for a different perspective.

The problem and main difficulty with healing ligaments, especially the ACL and MCL is that there is NO blood flow through these tissues. Blood flow is required for healing to occur as it carries in nutrients for growth/healing to take place. What it sounds like PRP is doing is forcing nutrients into the area to promote growth. It definitely sounds plausible but ligaments are not known for their ability to heal, they generally heal via scar tissue. It can result in full range of motion returning but also has the very real chance of not healing properly.

Good luck with your opinion tomorrow. I wish your son the best of luck.

snagel
09-23-2010, 18:00
A lot better news today (kinda)....

Took him to a doctor in Columbia, MO that is a sports doctor. He works exclusively with sport related injury's in particular this injury. He works with many college athletes as well as some pro athletes. Basically, the diagnosis is the same shreaded MCL and partial tear on the ACL. His focus right now is on the MCL and says it will heal quickly. He is concerned about the ACL, but not thinking surgery or anything and in his opinion, he will probably be able to do very well without doing anything to it. He wants him to be doing therapy atleast 3x a week and upper body conditioning to try and keep the weight off as much as possible (Doesn't want him to become a couch potatoe).

The prognosis is he will probably be ready to go by basketball season with a brace. Provided, he is doing well and can pivot and such. Simply something we will have to evaluate later.

Regarding the PRP....yes, it is an option, but not at this time. Currently, there is much swelling and he is getting good blood flow. Once the swelling goes away we will talk about the PRP and see if it is an option. (He said this is the therapy that they did with Hines Ward a few years ago when he tore his ACL right before the Superbowl).

Anyway, much better prognosis and what I really liked is that he is "cautiously optomistic" for getting him back in the game, but it all depends on if his knee is healthy enough to do it.

Snagel

TJDiver
09-24-2010, 07:50
Oh man, snagel...sorry about your boy's injury. Have him get back into it slowly. I shredded the ACL in my right knee back in my 20's, and to this day, I can plant and pivot in the wrong fashion, and down I go. I think part of the reason for that is I probably didn't follow my rehab as closely as I should have. Good luck to him.

Lenaxia
09-24-2010, 09:31
Oh man, snagel...sorry about your boy's injury. Have him get back into it slowly. I shredded the ACL in my right knee back in my 20's, and to this day, I can plant and pivot in the wrong fashion, and down I go. I think part of the reason for that is I probably didn't follow my rehab as closely as I should have. Good luck to him.

Sadly at that age we all do that. I have tendinitis in both knees AND both elbows. I didn't follow my PT regime particularly well back when I got these injuries in high school. Now I'm 24 and have chronic pain in all those joints. The lessons we learn eh?

TJDiver
09-24-2010, 09:38
Sadly at that age we all do that. I have tendinitis in both knees AND both elbows. I didn't follow my PT regime particularly well back when I got these injuries in high school. Now I'm 24 and have chronic pain in all those joints. The lessons we learn eh?

Oh sheesh! If you're suffering from that stuff at 24, just wait til you get to...oh...say...52. :smiley2: I literally have things crunching, cracking, and popping just from rolling out of bed. It all usually settles down after just a few minutes, but the sound effects from my daily rising are something to behold. :smiley36: