PDA

View Full Version : Any good books lately?

russp
09-11-2007, 14:11
What books, scuba related (or not) have you read lately? I'm about half way through "Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury. Good book about a father/son buddy team of divers who constantly pushed the limits of dive technology and their skills while doing cave and wreck dives off the eastern US coast. Definitely worth reading.

Osprey
09-11-2007, 14:19
Sounds interesting!

I've been going through some old classics myself, just because. Currently it's Animal Farm.

greyzen
09-11-2007, 14:20
Rich Dad Poor Dad

Charlotte Smith
09-11-2007, 14:42
Reading "The Quickie" murder mystery(although the title doesn't sound like it and so far it's really good....

creggur
09-11-2007, 14:53
In the last three months I have read:

Deep Descent - Kevin F. McMurray
Dark Descent - Kevin F. McMurray
The Last Dive - Bernie Chowdhurry
Diver Down - Michael R. Ange
Shadow Divers - Robert Kurson
Shadow Divers Exposed - Gary Gentile
Fatal Depth - Joe Haberstroh

and am now reading The Rapture of the Deep - Michael Zinsley

I've been burning up Amazon lately....

dallasdivergirl
09-11-2007, 14:59
The Dexter Series. I have to read multiple books at a time. One by the bed, one by the bath, one in the living room and one at work.

creggur
09-11-2007, 15:01
The Dexter Series. I have to read multiple books at a time. One by the bed, one by the bath, one in the living room and one at work.

My wife does this. I just plow through them one at a time...

Probably a Mars and Venus thing.....

ertechsg
09-11-2007, 15:02
What books, scuba related (or not) have you read lately? I'm about half way through "Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury. Good book about a father/son buddy team of divers who constantly pushed the limits of dive technology and their skills while doing cave and wreck dives off the eastern US coast. Definitely worth reading.
Keep reading great book after your done read shadow divers

creggur
09-11-2007, 15:07
Keep reading great book after your done read shadow divers

I wouldn't disagree that Shadow Divers is a great book, but I would recommend reading Shadow Divers Exposed:The Real Saga of U-869 after that. Gary Gentile breaks down a lot of the dramatization in the story, and gives a more "true to life" account of some of the things that went on. One of the more interesting parts of the book was when he disected the events surrounding Chris and Chrissy Rouse's situation. Some might say it's sour grapes or picking nits, but when I was reading it I kept saying to myself "yeah, now that makes more sense"...

georoc01
09-11-2007, 15:22
I just bought Diver Down - Michael R. Ange
I also am reading the Golden Compass before the movie comes out at Christmas.

Ajuva
09-11-2007, 15:47
Did the cussler back catalogue at the start of this year and have moved on to Alexander Kent, historical period navy fiction.

Have to agree with Dallasdivergirl, I read about 4 books at a time.

Enjoyed the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden as well.

divingmedic
09-11-2007, 15:56
Sounds interesting!

I've been going through some old classics myself, just because. Currently it's Animal Farm.
Man I love that book, that and 1984, George Orwell was so prophetic.

torrey
09-11-2007, 16:48
Sounds interesting!

If you like classics, you might be interested in free online e-books:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

I've recently read Dracula, Red Badge of Courage, A Modest Proposal, Life & Adventures of Calamity Jane, Common Sense, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I've got about 30 more in my to-do list.

Vercingetorix
09-11-2007, 17:23
Lord of the Flies

Splitlip
09-11-2007, 19:21
When you are done with that, pick up Shadow Divers by Kurson. More a
chronicle of the quest to identify the U-boat. You will find a slightly different account of the accident.

I enjoy Cusler, Clancy and Buffet. I also keep Shakespeare and E.A. Poe on hand as well as a book of poems by e.e. cummings to excercise my brain. But have little time to read.

kevinj1
09-11-2007, 20:15
Im about to start 'Old man and the sea' for the 3rd time--i love that book.

Splitlip
09-11-2007, 20:26

Hemingway.
Check out "To Have and Have Not"

lucidblue
09-11-2007, 20:36
Several good books, none that are dive related, but a few travel essays among other things. There are others, but this list is long enough.

Travel Essays:
A Trip to the Beach (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780609807484&itm=1) by Bob & Melinda Blanchard (Actually read this twice it was so good. Couple moves from Vermont to Anguilla to open a restaurant. The restaurant is currently rated as one of the best restaurants in the Caribbean http://www.blanchardsrestaurant.com )
An Embarrassment of Mangoes (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780385659550&itm=3) by Ann VanderhoofOther Non-Fiction:
The Devil in the White City (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780375725609&itm=1) by Erik Larson (excellent book about the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893)
Be Pretty Get Married and Always Drink Tab (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780060563707&itm=2) by Gigi Anders
Eat, Pray, Love: One Women's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780143038412&itm=1) by Elizabeth Gilbert
Little Chapel on the River: A Pub, A Town and the Search for What Matters Most (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780060564070&itm=1) by Gwendolyn BoundsFiction:
We Need to Talk about Kevin (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780061124297&itm=1) by Lionel Shriver
Wicked (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780060987107&itm=2) by Gregory Maguire
A Thousand Splendid Suns (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781594489501&itm=1) by Khaled Hosseini

kevinj1
09-11-2007, 20:41

Hemingway.
Check out "To Have and Have Not"

I have not read this yet, but it is next on the list.

divingmedic
09-12-2007, 08:58
I used to read a book a week, then I got married, tried to read and she kept saying "you never pay attention to me, put that book down and talk to me", I have not read anything other some EMS texts books in 13 years :(

dallasdivergirl
09-12-2007, 09:09
I used to read a book a week, then I got married, tried to read and she kept saying "you never pay attention to me, put that book down and talk to me", I have not read anything other some EMS texts books in 13 years :(

The ex husband hating me reading all of the time. He had a hard time reading & he was jealous.

Have you tried reading something together, either out loud or two copies, so you can "talk" about the books? I have friends and family who do that.

Tableleg
09-12-2007, 09:42
Hajji Baba of Ispahan

creggur
09-12-2007, 09:56
Have you tried reading something together, either out loud or two copies, so you can "talk" about the books? I have friends and family who do that.

Often the book I'm working on will be one of the 4 that my wife is reading so that works out well for us...

torrey
09-12-2007, 10:50

BUT...did you start paying attention to her? :)

mm_dm
09-12-2007, 12:38
Since about, oh say the end of last year/beginning of the year:
Dark Water Dive- Kathy Brandt
Codex- Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston
Thunderhead- Child/Preston
Relic- Child/Preston
Ice Limit- Child/Preston
Deception Point- Dan Brown
Word of Honor- Nelson DeMille
Submerged- Daniel Lenihan
Skeleton Coast- Cussler
Dragon- Cussler

I may have left something out. I read a lot (lunch, waiting on the oil change, etc.)

The lead female characters in Child/Preston's books are strong women...pretty cool.

RECDiver
09-12-2007, 13:03
I just finished "If a Pirate I Must Be" about Bartholomew Roberts (Black Bart). Good read and good historical info. I have also recently read "The Last Voyage of Columbus" by Martin Dugard. I am fixing to start "Shipwreck Hunter" by Gerald Volgenau then the "Republic of Pirates" by Golin Woodard.

divingmedic
09-12-2007, 13:31

The ex husband hating me reading all of the time. He had a hard time reading & he was jealous.

She is a school teacher and does not like to read. I have tried reading to her, and just falls asleep. I have about 3 Stephen King books I need to catch up on.

DUnder
09-12-2007, 14:15
I have read these in the last 6 months, all are good reading.
Shadow Divers
Digital Fortress
Deception Point
The Shooter

Black-Gorrilla
09-12-2007, 16:27
i just recently read
"a long ways gone, the story of a boy soldier" (im pretty sure thats the name)
and also re-read one of my favorite books...
"Eddie would go, the Story of Eddie Aikau" (one of my favorite books... very good book!!)

JCAT
09-13-2007, 10:33
Just finished Neutral Buoyancy by Tim Ecott in 2001.

One divers travels across the world and his thoughts on diving.

Not a technical book, but has many interesting aspects of diving.

chrissysb
09-13-2007, 11:50
Am I the only one who read the last Harry Potter? (Or am I the only one who is admitting it)

Disneymom
09-13-2007, 11:53
Am I the only one who read the last Harry Potter? (Or am I the only one who is admitting it)
No, you're not. :smiley20:

Almost all my reading is for entertainment purposes, with the exception of the dive mags I read.
I favor Stephen King, Michael Crichton, Janet Evanovich, Greg Iles, the Potter series, among others.

WV Diver
09-13-2007, 12:03
Harry Poter, I got through about half of the second book, never read the first one, laid it down and never picked it up again. I have seen the movies and they weren't too bad.

I have read all of the Lord of the Rings books and the Hobbit many times over. but HP could never hold my interest.

dallasdivergirl
09-13-2007, 12:34
Harry Poter, I got through about half of the second book, never read the first one, laid it down and never picked it up again. I have seen the movies and they weren't too bad.

I have read all of the Lord of the Rings books and the Hobbit many times over. but HP could never hold my interest.

If you like audio books the HP series is great to listen to. I have never cracked one of the books.

loudgonzo
09-13-2007, 13:13
Juventud en Extasis (Youth in Sexual Ecstasy)
and
La Utima Oportunidad (The Last Opportunity)

both by Carlos Cuauhtemoc Sanchez and available in English.

These two books are among the best I've ever read, I could not recommend any better.

meesier42
09-13-2007, 19:15
Shadow Divers, great book, I had never heard of the author before but it was a great read.

CrzyJay456
09-13-2007, 19:30

not a real big fan of harry.

Liv7301
09-13-2007, 20:00
I have finished Diver Down and am currently working on Deep Decent. Though for a non-scuba book one of my all-time favorites is The Time Traveler's Wife. It's slightly girly but also emotional and magnificent.

Liv7301
09-13-2007, 20:01

Sorry I left that out...I purchased and started Harry 7 when it came out in July. I have read the whole series and at some point would like to go back and reread them all.

mm_dm
09-13-2007, 20:11
I have finished Diver Down and am currently working on Deep Decent. Though for a non-scuba book one of my all-time favorites is The Time Traveler's Wife. It's slightly girly but also emotional and magnificent.

Both Deep Descent & Dark Descent are excellent scuba books. I read them right after Shadow Divers awhile back.

scuba Widow
09-20-2007, 00:00
I only read true crime books the last really good one that I read was Sins Of The Mother. It was about the Susan Smith story in South Carolina that drowned her babies in a car in a lake.