PDA

View Full Version : I have a diving issue

fab50diver
09-24-2010, 17:17
You guys seem to be the most helpful group I've encountered on the net so here goes...
This is beginning to be a problem. About 15 mins into a dive I start gagging. I have less than 10 dives, all in fresh water. No panic involved, I just start gagging and have to literally talk myself out of doing it. After a couple of mins, I can usually get control of myself and continue on but it's embarrassing!!! My DH/Dive Buddy has even turned around to see if I was ok. I've tried changing mouthpieces because I have a tiny mouth and the one that came with my reg rubbed and was just too big. That helped some but I still have a problem. I did notice that if water leaks into my mask and touches my nose that it's worse so I tried clearing my mask more often on my last dive. I did NOT have this issue when doing my pool work or on my certification dives, but did experience it on my first OW dive on our own. Suggestions please?!?!
BTW...I do the same when they do xrays at the dentist office.

Zenagirl
09-24-2010, 17:24
First thing I would strongly suggest is that you buy a SeaCure mouth piece. You can mold it and trim it to fit your mouth anyway you need to. With a small mouth, a customizable mouthpiece is essential. I'd bet that once your mouthpiece was perfect, you wouldn't have as many issues in other areas.

navyhmc
09-24-2010, 17:28
is it possible that you have a very sensitive gag reflex? The fact that it happens 15 minutes into the dive is interesting... One thing I can hypothesize that at the 15 minute mark, your throat may be a little dry so the saliva is a little thicker and is irritating your throat. Maybe better/good hydration prior to the dive will help. That it happens with dental x-rays adds to it as well. I don't know if they make a shortened mouthpiece, but if they do, that may help. Sorry, I can't be of more help than this.

Tom H
09-24-2010, 18:33
I agree with Zenagirl. I never had a gagging problem, but the molded mouthpiece was a great idea (except when practising buddy breathing and the other guy has to use it).

scubadiver888
09-24-2010, 22:03
It does sound like you have a sensitive gag reflex. A different mouth piece is a good suggestion. If dry mouth is part of the equation then you might also try something like Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter (http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm). It will reduce the dry mouth and possibility eliminate the gagging.

Diver Kat
09-24-2010, 22:31
Yup .... think about trying a Seacure. I've always had a super-sensitive gag reflex due to a small mouth. I hated having x-rays done at the dentist's until they started using the bite-wings for kids on me. I had the same problem as you with the regular mouthpiece that came with my first reg. Got a Seacure. Since you mold it to your bite you end up with less jaw strain and you can trim the ends super short to avoid the gag-reflex problem.

mocepts
09-25-2010, 06:22
My wife had a problem with dry mouth causing her to gag, so I purchased her a Bio Filter (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFilter) and it helped her a lot.

Flatliner
09-25-2010, 06:41
Both the mouthpiece and biofilter are good suggestions. However, I also think Navy is on to something with the hydration.

Bigg_Budd
09-25-2010, 07:03
maybe you are just super excited? anxious? next time you dive, just go zen and take everything real slow and chilled out...

chinacat46
09-25-2010, 07:12
If it's a dry mouth issue you could try sucking on some hard candy. I like jolly rogers.

Rileybri
09-25-2010, 07:13
I had the same problem at first. then I realized I needed to stop thinking about work while I dove!

fab50diver
09-25-2010, 08:00
I had the same problem at first. then I realized I needed to stop thinking about work while I dove!
Now that's too funny!!
Seriously though, I think you all have valid points. My throat does dry out quickly and I probably don't drink enough water because I hate the thought of peeing in my wetsuit (but that would be better than gagging). I'll grab a Seacure mouthpiece at the shop today. They just looked so HUGE! I've been using the Comfo Bite Mouthpiece and it's better but not perfect I guess. I'll probably order the filter too. It has occurred to me that I'm not terribly relaxed. The vis where we've been diving has not been as good as I'd like to see and I have been a little tense. Next dive, I'll slow down a bit and try to relax and enjoy it more.
Thanks for the input!!!

Rileybri
09-25-2010, 08:15
In all seriousness though I had the very same problem. it resulted from my uvula drying out and sticking to the back of my throat. I had t through my first 20 dives or so when I was still a newish diver and breathing hard and nervous. As I gained more confidence, and slowed down my breathing a bit the problem went away for the most part. I tend to have a dry mouth when diving any way so fi I know i will be on an longer dive I bring a camel back hydration system with me and take small sips when I can. This made all the difference. just dont take to bog a sip and or choke!

TwistedSister209
09-25-2010, 09:55
If it's a dry mouth issue you could try sucking on some hard candy. I like jolly rogers.

:smilie39::smilie39:
CC-- I know this was NO typo. I could so say something here, but I'd be Foo'd. Rightly so.

Thanks, Fab50, for the topic as I had a similar concern. :smiley20:

Zenagirl
09-25-2010, 17:51
You're right that the SeaCure mouthpieces definitely ARE huge in their packages. The important point is that you can cut it down to whatever size YOU want. You might find that your mouth is less dry with a custom molded mouthpiece since you don't have to clamp down on it to keep it in your mouth. You can relax your jaw since you don't have to worry about losing your reg...and this might help you relax all over a bit since its one less thing to think about.

Let us know how it works out.

fab50diver
09-26-2010, 08:23
Rileybri! I think you've hit the nail on the head with your response! That's a great idea! While at the dive shop yesterday, another experienced diver also suggested that perhaps I should consider turning down the flow a bit on my reg. I think that may also help a bit since I had noticed that on our last 3 dives I had used more air than my DH! (that NEVER happened during training).
Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions. I'm really looking forward to my next dive rather than worrying about it!

FoxHound
09-28-2010, 09:29
Air flow too high could def do it, that could also cause your mouth to dry out fairly quickly which could be a bit of a cause like the others have said. However there is a bit more you can do about it while diving besides just turning down the airflow. On hour or longer dives i bring juice packs with me. The capri sun, or kool aid bag drinks are really good and nice and easy to carry with you.

Gonnagettanked
09-28-2010, 11:29
Air flow too high could def do it, that could also cause your mouth to dry out fairly quickly which could be a bit of a cause like the others have said. However there is a bit more you can do about it while diving besides just turning down the airflow. On hour or longer dives i bring juice packs with me. The capri sun, or kool aid bag drinks are really good and nice and easy to carry with you.

ok 2 questions for a newbie regarding dry throat bought a sherwood oasis cause it said it cools the air to help with the drying.
still ended up with a very dry mouth and throat.
Also I'm still hanging on the line awhile clearing my ears and the patient kind dive master recommended the usual blowing, jaw moving, and swallowing to clear them. Here's the problem. How can you swallow if your mouth and throat are as dry as a bone.

Also please explain the jolly ranchers can you really eat candy while diving?
Alright one more question although it's a little off topic..
Can anyone explain why I have trouble breathing when I first get settled in the boat after diving. Everyone else seems to be fine. Tired maybe, but fine. It seems to take me about 15 minutes to settle my breathing down to a normal rate. I also feel a little nauseous too.
Oh I'm not seasick.
This also happen with my ow dives too.

FoxHound
09-29-2010, 09:54
I personally dont think that a piece on a reg will make such a huge difference to prevent drymouth. The gas in tanks is very very dry and there isnt much you can do about it.

Yes you really can eat candy while diving....it takes a bit of getting used to and gotta be careful not to choke on it, this is why id rather bring a drink with me then candy.

About clearing your ears , just take you time there is no rush. Do you go down the line and then clear when you start to feel pressure? I start clearing in very shallow water before i start to feel any pressure and then clear often. If i do feel pressure, I acesnd a couple feet, clear, and continue decending. Clearing ears is a first of the dive thing so your throat shouldnt be that dry right off the get go. Make sure you are good and hydrated before getting in the water.

I find the only one that works for me to clear my ears is to plug my nose and try to breathe out through it. swallowing and wiggling my jaw just doenst seem to work for me.

The nauseous thing may be CO2 ? Im assuming that since it takes you time to settle your breathing above the water then you are breathing shallow and fast under the water? This can cause a bit of a CO2 buildup in your system, usually brought on by a bit of anxiety. Im sure the folks with a medical background will have a better idea.

Gonnagettanked
09-29-2010, 11:34
Thanks for the equalization tips I have been the last one down, but I really don't care my ears are more important than my pride..
As far as my breathing goes I'm not an air hog because as we did air checks with more experienced divers I was right with them.
And I made a conscious effort to breath naturally slowly not too deeply, but still find myself almost hyperventilating on top.
I feel like a jerk too. My girlfriend kept asking are you alright. Man it's embarrassing.

FoxHound
09-29-2010, 12:29
Your ears are def more important. If ya force it then there is a possibilty of damaging ur ears and not being able to dive anymore. My dad always told me "Pride is Painful" haha

So by the sounds of it, your dive goes fine, good breathing during the bottom time but then some shorter shallow ones while ascending and doing a saftey stop? The almost hyperventilating at the end could very well be the cause of the sickish feeling that you get. Just a slight buildup of CO2 is enough to make you feel off, and once your breathing comes back to normal, you get the right amount of oxygen back in your system and it goes away.

Again the medical folks here may have some better ideas

Dont feel like a jerk, absolutly no reason to, shes just looking out for you

Gonnagettanked
09-29-2010, 12:43
Go figure I'm a newbie undewater I'm fine. Back on the boat I can't seem to catch my breath. Happened when I was with my huband too and I'm very relaxed around him (really).
Last week I went on a dream trip to Mexico and I sat there as we headed to another dive location struggling to relax my breating. I mean I'm not an idiot I know to relax slow down, afterall I had 2 kids did my breathin fine then lol. I'm just trying to figure this out. It's kind of exhausting too!

Gonnagettanked
09-30-2010, 07:20
seems like no ons got an answer.

Rileybri
09-30-2010, 07:25
no just not a ST appropriate answer! lol

fab50diver
06-24-2011, 13:18
Update! I ordered the Apollo Bio-Filter and have had a chance to use it on two dive trips. It definitely works! I still get a little dry mouth and throat but have gagged only twice on the last 25 dives and that was controllable. If I didn't have to wear a motion sickness patch (which causes rather severe dry mouth) I would likely have no dry mouth/throat at all. I've also found that lemon drops or other hard candy such as suckers or tootsie pops during the surface interval also helps your mouth and throat rehydrate by stimulating saliva production. Now if I could just figure out how to keep those darn patches from washing off during dives sometimes I'd be set!

cgvmer
06-24-2011, 14:19
I'm glad the suggestions helped. I bet the more you dive the more relaxed you'll feel the less gagging you'll have...as someone already said more zen like.

fab50diver
06-24-2011, 15:08
I'm glad the suggestions helped. I bet the more you dive the more relaxed you'll feel the less gagging you'll have...as someone already said more zen like.
and if I could stop getting so totally excited about everything I see I might not be such and air hog!

FoxHound
06-24-2011, 17:05
and if I could stop getting so totally excited about everything I see I might not be such and air hog!

wont happen......i still get excited about diving in a pool when i get a chance haha

and as for the patches......throw some duct tape around it......it should stay haha

John Yaskowich
06-24-2011, 18:08
Have you tried Bonine? (Meclizine Hydrochloride 25mg). I usually get seasick on small boats but on my recent live-aboard vacation I took 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Worked like a charm!

Zeagle Eagle
06-24-2011, 22:03
http://www.houseofscuba.com/product/reg4.html

There was a reg out there, can't remember who makes it with a metal tang in it, that actually produced water I think through condensation. I used it a couple of times and it really works well.

Another idea, full face mask. Might be worth a try.

Queen
06-25-2011, 08:22
Have you tried Bonine? (Meclizine Hydrochloride 25mg). I usually get seasick on small boats but on my recent live-aboard vacation I took 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Worked like a charm!

Over the years I have become a freaking zen master of sea sickness control. :thumb:

I buy chewable meclizine from the pharmacist (about $6 for 100) take one the night before the barf inducing activity, then a half when I get up, another half an hour before the activity, then top off with 1/4's if needed throughout the day(s). Keeping a steady level of the med in my system makes it so I don't even feel the edges of motion sickness anymore.
:clap:

fab50diver
06-27-2011, 13:39
I have tried all the OTC meds without success. I have had some luck using the chewable meclizine if I lose the patch during a dive and it certainly helped keep me from barfing. I have suffered with extreme motion sickness all my life (parents first noticed it on a road trip to FL when I was 6 weeks old) and the patch is, by FAR, the best remedy out there for me. Luckily, I can still enjoy diving with meds and have had no adverse effects of the patch other than dry mouth and some blurred vision.

Seniordiver
06-27-2011, 14:10
A non-medical based thought. Is it possible that you have an allergy to the mouth piece material? The man I learned to dive from in Cyprus developed an allergy which made diving difficult; not great if that is how you make your living. Possible solution: change of mouth piece material, or anti-allergy meds. First though, a DR's visit to see if my idea has any value.

Good luck.

Boardndave
10-23-2011, 19:23
It does sound like you have a sensitive gag reflex. A different mouth piece is a good suggestion. If dry mouth is part of the equation then you might also try something like Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter (http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm). It will reduce the dry mouth and possibility eliminate the gagging.

Wow. That product sounds unreal...I would love to try one out.

Zenagirl
10-24-2011, 07:41
I know this is an older thread, but to the OP, buy some waterproof bandaids (the clear kind). Cut the sticky ends off and use them to anchor your patch down. I used to do this when I used a patch and have NEVER lost one...even on liveaboards diving 4-5x per day! There's also an oral version of the patch, ask your doctor about Scopace

Boardndave
10-24-2011, 12:43
I know this is an older thread, but to the OP, buy some waterproof bandaids (the clear kind). Cut the sticky ends off and use them to anchor your patch down. I used to do this when I used a patch and have NEVER lost one...even on liveaboards diving 4-5x per day! There's also an oral version of the patch, ask your doctor about Scopace

Great tip. I'll have to pass that along to my dad, who often has trouble with patches.

rharris144
02-19-2012, 09:55
i used to have a gag issue to, but i found out that since i have two partial plates in my mouth (which i have had since i was 8 yrs old) I had to use fixadent or something of the same nature to prevent gagging. But i also have a small mouth that jaw is shifted to the right by cm so i got one of the moldable mouth pieces and i dont have gag issues no more.

scubasnacks
02-19-2012, 12:29
Fab you might want to check out ginger. It naturally soothes the stomach and calms nerves. Ginger snaps, pickles ginger, and ginger based foods are often recommended with those that have aversive reations due to motion sickness or uneasy nerves. Also, just wondering...if you have an overactive gag reflex you would most likely see it in other activities (ex. Brushing your teeth). If you are not seeing it during those times I would be akin to think its psycosamatic or nerve based. Just some food for thought....no pun intended.
I hope it all works out for you. Sounds like you already have it on the ropes.