PDA

View Full Version : what did you do today to help someone else?

scubagirlj
09-25-2010, 22:47
in a world of ME-ME-ME, sometimes its nice to do something for someone else-i got a call at 9:40pm that another company that had a truck broken down on side of 95S with a horse on it, coming home from a day at the races-could have said s***w it, not my problem but have been on other side of problem before, NOT fun-got dressed & went to get a truck from yard, ran up there, loaded horse onto my truck, collected all the other trainers gear& help and took them home-no big deal as it only took 2 hrs but turned a bad situation into not such a big deal-felt good to make people happy

BRsnow
09-25-2010, 23:00
I helped a mtn bike rider that had broke his chain. He had not fixed this before and did not have the extra pin. I really don't think this is really helping someone else as the whole mtn bike community is pretty nice and always stops to ask if you need help...was great ride though in some beautiful weather here in CO...BR

scubastud
09-25-2010, 23:04
I let that SOB that cut me off live .
I'm awesome like that.

BRsnow
09-25-2010, 23:14
I'm awesome like that.

Nice work...

scubastud
09-25-2010, 23:30
I doubt there will be too many serious responses to this thread, people do nice things for others all the time.. most of us just don't like to brag about what we do for others.
Maybe a "What did someone do to help you today?" thread... Oh I guess that would go on "Job Well Done" category huh?
Oh reminded myself, someone did something nice for me today.

BRsnow
09-25-2010, 23:42
I doubt there will be too many serious responses to this thread, people do nice things for others all the time.. most of us just don't like to brag about it.

Coming from the self-proclaimed scubastud, that is ironic...lol...

scubastud
09-25-2010, 23:49
oh pfffht .. do I have to explain my nickname here again!?

cmburch
09-26-2010, 00:30
I picked-up debris for California coastal clean-up day. And shared my catch for lunch.

navyhmc
09-26-2010, 02:13
While doing our bike class, we came across a huge pile of rock and tree in the road. took 5 minutes moved it all onto the curb and called city maintenance to come get it.

scubagirlj
09-26-2010, 06:33
I doubt there will be too many serious responses to this thread, people do nice things for others all the time.. most of us just don't like to brag about what we do for others.
Maybe a "What did someone do to help you today?" thread... Oh I guess that would go on "Job Well Done" category huh?
Oh reminded myself, someone did something nice for me today.
nothing wrong with giving yourself a pat on the back sometimes-might remind others to be a bit more charitable-as for letting the SOB that cut you off live, when you dive what i drive, that IS doing something nice as i can squish most cars like a bug

TwistedSister209
09-26-2010, 07:00
Nice thread, Scubagirlj ! Having been on the stranded end with a horse loaded trailer, I say thank you for rescuing them.

D & I are always so amazed when someone goes out of their way to do something nice for us, yet it happens more than I say thank you for. A nice email, a phone call, a card.
Every now and then I need a reminder to pass on the blessings that have been given to me.
Today is still early, so I'll have lots of time to help someone.

FFDiver
09-26-2010, 07:24
nothing wrong with giving yourself a pat on the back sometimes-might remind others to be a bit more charitable-as for letting the SOB that cut you off live, when you dive what i drive, that IS doing something nice as i can squish most cars like a bug

Sj, I could not resist....how do you dive what you drive? I have driven bunch of trucks and far as I so most will just sink....:smilie39::smilie39:

FFDiver
09-26-2010, 07:27
Stud is right most good people will do many good things becuase it is the right thing to do and most will never say a word about their good deeds. Now the people that like attention will always be blowing their horn loudly. It is like when people thank me for being a firefighter, it means a lot because some people treat us less than good. I just tell people am not good or a hero I am just crazy enough to run in a burning building while other people are smart enough to run out. Now that reminds where is my straight jacket and meds!!!!

TJDiver
09-26-2010, 08:08
Well, this is more of my wife doing a good deed, as she did WAY more than I did, but the fund raiser I mentioned in another thread, ended up raising over $9000 for our friends with the little boy fighting cancer. It was a great turnout, with so many people doing so much to make it successful.

Lulubelle
09-26-2010, 09:06
Hmmm, slow weekend. I suppose my intervention with one of the wedding guests could count. She is newly single after a 20 year marriage and was getting ready to make a really big mistake that previous conversations told me was not really consistent with what she needs and wants at present. Her self esteem is battered, and she is terribly naive as to the ways and intentions of men, not understanding how to tell the difference between those who have honor and those who do not.

scubagirlj
09-26-2010, 09:52
Sj, I could not resist....how do you dive what you drive? I have driven bunch of trucks and far as I so most will just sink....:smilie39::smilie39:
spelling not my forte after 5 hrs sleep:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36::smiley36::smil ey36::smiley9::smiley9::smiley9::smiley9::smiley9:

scubagirlj
09-26-2010, 09:55
7820all most people see is grill(in their rearview)

Lenaxia
09-26-2010, 11:55
Well it wasn't someone else per se, but more something else!

Yesterday while backpacking, I saved a frog that had wandered well away from the creek side, and then I saved a rather large fish that had gotten stranded in a drying creek bed because it's route back to the main stream had already dried up!

Save the animals, lol

TwistedSister209
09-26-2010, 13:53
Wow, J...wow!!!
@FF-- I think people should say thanks. You may not feel as if you're a hero, but you are to those you rescue--and to their family.
@Lulu-- Bless you for rescuing that woman. Battered self-esteem used to be my closest friend.
@Lenaxia--Good for you. I love animals more than some people.

navyhmc
09-26-2010, 14:19
I was happy, smiling and cheerful and didn't kill a couple of morons who rightfully deserved it, does that count?

scubastud
09-26-2010, 14:22
Here is my hero.

Name James Reginald McCormick, US Navy TBF radioman/rear gunner World War Two.
Mission: Stationed in Jacksonville Florida, keep Nazis away from mainland USA.
Accomplishments: Kept Nazis away from Florida. Also, enough sense to run when bar fight broke out in enlisted mens club.
Other accomplishment worth noting: Fathering and putting up with ScubaStud all these years.

alpha
09-26-2010, 14:28
Playing Devils advocate for: Helping one species vs. another species possible death.

Caution disturbing the Circle of Life:YouTube - Lion King - Circle of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX07j9SDFcc)

Frog: Source of food for snakes, lizards, birds, insects (decaying carcass) , etc.

Fish: source of food for Birds (poor baby hungry eagles awaiting that fish?), Bears, Raccoons, turtles, insects, etc.

:mc06:

:smiley2: Usually plenty of Fish & Frogs so low odds of a balance shift.:smiley2:

Should we extrapolate this scenario to the human species?

alpha
09-26-2010, 14:52
Here you go Scubastud, I'll paste in a good deed for ya.
Barracuda http://forum.scubatoys.com/customavatars/avatar6373_5.gif (http://forum.scubatoys.com/members/scubastud-6373/) Join Date09/02/2008LocationLitchfield Park AZAge52Posts1,416 http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/misc/im_yahoo.gif

Nothing really, garbage clean up at Project AWARE with the LDS Cougar is an intern.
Horrid visib, but good cause less garbage this year it seemed.
Oh and I am the worse AWARE diver in the world.

TwistedSister209
09-26-2010, 17:19
Here is my hero.

Name James Reginald McCormick, US Navy TBF radioman/rear gunner World War Two.
Mission: Stationed in Jacksonville Florida, keep Nazis away from mainland USA.
Accomplishments: Kept Nazis away from Florida. Also, enough sense to run when bar fight broke out in enlisted mens club.
Other accomplishment worth noting: Fathering and putting up with ScubaStud all these years.

Handsome man, SS!!
I agree with your choice of hero.

PACKRMAN
09-26-2010, 20:32
I was happy, smiling and cheerful and didn't kill a couple of morons who rightfully deserved it, does that count?

It might be a asset in your line of work, but then again you did say they were morons.

Lulubelle
09-26-2010, 20:39

Oh heck yeah it counts. I've become quite good at that skill myself. Our Sainthood awaits.

bigman241
09-26-2010, 21:11
I agree had a guy ride my *** for 10 miles on A DIVIDED high way heck I was going 63 in a 55. I donated a few bucks to a state park today if that counts. Ohh I opened the door for some older women. most of us do things to help others some do not. I will admit I do not pull over to help folks to much but ***** when I am stuck on the side of the road watching cars drive by.
I'm awesome like that.

scubagirlj
09-26-2010, 21:16
I agree had a guy ride my *** for 10 miles on A DIVIDED high way heck I was going 63 in a 55. I donated a few bucks to a state park today if that counts. Ohh I opened the door for some older women. most of us do things to help others some do not. I will admit I do not pull over to help folks to much but ***** when I am stuck on the side of the road watching cars drive by.

FYI 63 in a 55 is too slow-you put the "one slow car"syndrome into effect(results in backed up traffic & unhappy drivers)

alpha
09-26-2010, 21:26
We definitely need more FYI as apparently we don't know how fast should one set the cruise on a 55mph road, and for all states or just certain states?

scubagirlj
09-26-2010, 21:34
always set mine 9-10 miles over the limit and have no problem-there is always someone going faster than me

navyhmc
09-26-2010, 22:08
I'm usually a 5 mph over posted for cruise control settings-fast enough to get there, slow enough to slide under the radar so to speak. Just don't tap the brakes when you see a cop...then you're feeling guilty and usually will get pulled over.

scubastud
09-26-2010, 22:16
I'm usually a 5 mph over posted for cruise control settings-fast enough to get there, slow enough to slide under the radar so to speak. Just don't tap the brakes when you see a cop...then you're feeling guilty and usually will get pulled over.
Cops can sense ya feelin guilty!??

Yea, I agree there though.. ya drive nine or ten over the limit around here, and you will be ticketed.. I'm wondering is it because they pissed off they had to take down all the speed cameras?

scubagirlj
09-26-2010, 22:16
and stay out of the far left lane

scubagirlj
09-26-2010, 22:18
up east you better be going 10 over or someone will be on your a**-cops will usually give you that as long as you have seatbelt on & not on the phone

bennerman
10-08-2010, 21:40
refer to "what made you happy today" :3

navyhmc
10-09-2010, 00:01
and stay out of the far left lane

Very true.

Driving in the NE scare the hell out of me, it seems that folks don't so much drive as aim...

CajnRedneck
10-09-2010, 02:13
I would say in my line of work, I help people all the time so I am not even going to count it. Today being the only guy off shift with a pickup was the 'curse'. Helped a buddy move. They say, a friend will help you move, a buddy will help you move a body...