PDA

View Full Version : What order to buy gear?

Birdman7
07-13-2007, 12:32
If I'm planning on buying gear in stages (for example get the camera and housing, 6 months later get something new, and so on) what order would you suggest?

torrey
07-13-2007, 12:39
I'm pretty sure just about everybody would tell you the next step after camera and housing is a strobe (although I don't have one yet). Of course, to hold the strobe and camera together, you'll probably need a tray as well if it doesn't come with the strobe already.

cummings66
07-13-2007, 13:22
The way I did it was Camera first, get used to it. Then housing next and get used to it again. Editing software. Now I'm looking at the strobes as the next bit.
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 13:37
Camera and housing together, generally. Get used to them first, before you consider adding a strobe, which adds considerably to the complexity.

Once you have the camera and strobe you can start looking into add-on lenses, if needed.

But start with the camera and housing. I'd recommend something that has a real manual mode, if you plan to get serious about it. The Canon A series are a very popular starting point that don't break the bank but have the manual features needed to take you a long way into your new hobby.

Birdman7
07-13-2007, 15:53
I already have the Canon A620 and Ike housing. Now I'm just trying to map my next moves and upgrades.

Diver Dennis
07-13-2007, 15:55
Strobe next. Then get another strobe.

cummings66
07-13-2007, 18:55
I'm kind of thinking I need a wide angle lens. I think I saw one for the A620 somewhere, it's certainly useful. I think a strobe then lens might be the best order to proceed with.

dannybot
07-15-2007, 08:42
You'll be disappointed if you don't get the strobe, either that or only take photos at night.

Dabaras
07-15-2007, 11:44
The strobe is the most expensive part of my setup, and it is the most helpful. To really get the colors, you have to have a strobe. That should be the next purchase.

Storm
07-16-2007, 22:54
Well I'd say it depends. It depends on the diving skills of the individual, how comfortable they are with the task loading of adding the strobe and strobe arms. Also the water clarity and ambient light available.

The type of diving the shooter is going to be doing for the next little while.

I went through the build up last year. After the camera and housing, I went with getting my two wet lenses. You see I was heading to Cuba for a vacation and knew that there would be a lot of shallow water ambient light opportunities.

The final piece for me was the strobe and optical cable. Most needed when I got back home and got back to low vis/green water/low light shooting. Strobes are mandatory for any deep stuff.

So to sum up. look at eh factors for where, when, and how you dive, and choose.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 23:37
camera and housing figure out how much you want to invest

nferra2
08-08-2007, 01:07
what is a good place to buy housings. I am either going to get a houseing for my canon s60 or my Oly E-330. Can't decide if I want to go all out or not yet. It would be a shame to have all those Oly lenses go to waste.

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 12:41
what is a good place to buy housings. I am either going to get a houseing for my canon s60 or my Oly E-330. Can't decide if I want to go all out or not yet. It would be a shame to have all those Oly lenses go to waste.
If ScubaToys doesn't have them, it may be worth checking with Ryan at www.ReefPhoto.com and if they can't help you, bhphoto.com is probably your last retail hope before eBay. It can be hard to find housings for older cameras.

Bill22
08-16-2007, 18:44

Here's a link to Helix where I bought my Ikelite housing and DS125 strobe: http://www.helixcamera.com/home.html They have a Canon housing good to 130 feet for $169.95. Olympus housing for the Olympus E-330 is $999.95 good to 60 meters.

Bill22
08-16-2007, 18:46
If I'm planning on buying gear in stages (for example get the camera and housing, 6 months later get something new, and so on) what order would you suggest?

I bought the camera first, then the housing, then the tray and strobe. Probably next step will be an upgraded camera and another housing, then another strobe... I'm gonna end up spending a LOT of money :-))

RonFrank
08-29-2007, 09:39
Here is a progression that I've seen.

PnS camera
Housing
Strobe & Mounting hardware
2nd strobe & hardware
Case to carry all this stuff
Extra Batteries
Extra Memory
Photo Editing Software

DSLR
Lens
Housing
Port
New strobe as they old one was really not scalable
TTL cable
2nd Strobe
New TTL Cable for using two strobes, or another bulkhead.
New Case to house even more junk
New lens
Additional Port
Focus light
Monitor calibration
more stuff... more stuff... more stuff....

This is an ongoing process.

If you are into photography, I'd decide what you want the system to look like, and then try and buy as many key components as possible in one shot.

Putting things together one piece at a time is an exercise in frustration as you are always learning to use new gear. If you have the luxury of living somewhere that you can dive often and take photo's (FL/LA) than one thing at at time is not too bad. If you are only going to destinations once or twice a year where photography is worth doing (like myself) it's kinda annoying having 80% of what you want to get a good shot.