PDA

View Full Version : my potential setup

chewyjr15
09-11-2007, 19:01
I am a photo guro of sorts and love taking land photos and now that i am going to be certified im looking into underwater photography. I have a canon sd630 point and shoot that will be turned into my "under water" camera. I like it for land but also have a rebel slr that i use more often. So im going ot get an iklite housing. Now for strobes i can't afford 500 bucks on a strobe maybe 200, so what strobe can i get in this price range thats "fairly" good? Also i will eventially get the wide angle lense for the iklite.

thanks

dbh
09-11-2007, 20:10
I would advise you to shoot with the internal flash until such time that you can afford a $500 strobe. This is one place that you do not want to skimp. Anything less would be OK for macro and very close fish shots....but won't cut the mustard for wide angle.

Dave

BobArnold8265
09-11-2007, 21:34
I agree, a small strobe won't get you much and might just frustrate you with slow cycle times etc. Hold out a little longer until you can get a nice one.

As for a housing, you can't miss with Ikelite !!

bversteegh
09-11-2007, 21:48
Ikelite DS51 strobes are around $ 330 - and are a very nice macro strobe (not wide enough coverage angle for Wide angle). I have the previous model (DS50) and have over 15000 pictures attempted (wish I could say I had 15000 keepers:smiley19: )

You can make your own strobe arms from loc line snap together pieces for less than 20 dollars.

You'll also need either a TTL or Manual controller, or a sync cord if your camera has provisions for a hotshoe. Watch ebay - you can pick up a controller for 50 or 60 dollars used fairly often.

chewyjr15
09-11-2007, 21:52
so should i get the housing and then a strope later on down the line?

GONEHAWKN
09-12-2007, 14:54
yes, i would hold out for a good strobe. my strobe,arm and tray set-up with synch cord was more than the camera and housing together. BUT, when i move onto a new camera at some point, that strobe(YS-110) and ULCS tray and arm set-up will work with the new set-up. it's just food for thought.

Bill

BobArnold8265
09-12-2007, 21:33
Yes, get the housing and then the strobe. The housing you get may help you determine what kind of strobe to buy (i.e. one with TTL capabilities or fibre optics etc.) As far as strobes go, don't forget to check the used market. There's a lot of very nice, slightly used gear out there so you may still be able to get yourself a really nice strobe for not so many bucks !!

Bill22
09-16-2007, 05:22
I agree also... housing first, then strobe. I think it's worth it to wait until you can get a good one. Also for macro shots you can buy an Inon closeup lens that will screw right on to the portal for you Ikelite housing. Here's a link to information on Inon: http://www.inonamerica.com/index.html