PDA

View Full Version : OK, So It's Not Diving Unless They Go Into the Magma...

inventor
10-04-2010, 14:53
:jumpin:Still, interesting, and cooool....so cool it's hot! :anim_flame: Owww, wow, is it hot!:FIREdevil:

Film crew's descent into fiery volcano becomes Internet sensation (http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/20963/film+crews+descent+into+fiery+volcano+becomes+inte rnet+sensation/)

Guess on the inside, those are, 'Not So Dry Suits'.:vettskremt:

And check out the 'Man's Best friend' article beneath that one.:eek2:

FFDiver
10-04-2010, 14:58
Good video, however I wonder if it is real. The heat would be tremendous and fire suits will only protect but so long as firefighters can tell you. If it is than my hats off to them for standing in the mouth of the beast!!!

Travelnsj
10-04-2010, 17:29
I think that is real....been on the news here this AM.

When I was in Hawaii/Kona in August there was a local nurse on the boat diving. She was saying when the Volcano is going off... one of big admissions to the ER is when the Japanese tourists jump off the tour boat to get close up pics of the Lava flowing in the water....she said they have had a few badly scalded people!

Rileybri
10-04-2010, 17:35
Ahh well if it was on the news it must be real! lol So to add one more sceptic to the mix if it's hot enough to need those protective suits then its hot enough to melt their ropes! I have spent as much time around technical climbing gear as the ST boys have around diving gear and I dont know of any that would withstand that long of an exposure to that kind of heat. At the very lest they would become so dynamic that they would literally stretch you into the lava.

take this rope (http://www.sterlingrope.com/product/155021/F068AA/_/Rit_900) from Sterling made for fire fighters rated to 900*F+ hear "resistant". Not take the temperature of hot molten lava at about 1000-2000* F and you tell me that those ropes could last that long with out damage.

That said any footage inside a volcano is ok with me!

scubastud
10-04-2010, 18:10
Really cool video but.. yea.
It looks like the guy isn't wearing gloves.

And the man's best friend is a crocodile!.. first thing I thought was "well we know how that guy is gonna die... just a question of when. "

FFDiver
10-04-2010, 18:37
Ahh well if it was on the news it must be real! lol So to add one more sceptic to the mix if it's hot enough to need those protective suits then its hot enough to melt their ropes! I have spent as much time around technical climbing gear as the ST boys have around diving gear and I dont know of any that would withstand that long of an exposure to that kind of heat. At the very lest they would become so dynamic that they would literally stretch you into the lava.

take this rope (http://www.sterlingrope.com/product/155021/F068AA/_/Rit_900) from Sterling made for fire fighters rated to 900*F+ hear "resistant". Not take the temperature of hot molten lava at about 1000-2000* F and you tell me that those ropes could last that long with out damage.

That said any footage inside a volcano is ok with me!

Duh I did not even think about that!!!! Yes the ropes would melt and the metal in the rigging would speed it up from the rigging getting hot also...

CajnRedneck
10-04-2010, 19:09
Oh Wow, thats some good footage. Not sure how much I am believing though. Definitely would not be that close.

want2Bdivin
10-05-2010, 12:39
This is total :poop:. Lava is over 2000 degrees farenheit! First, the guy in the fire suit would have been toast and the guy on the rope would look like a piece of jerky on a string. Try keeping your arm over a grill while flippin' burgers and you'll start to get the feeling!

Noob
10-05-2010, 13:59
after watching it I think its real. But I also think its a play with the focus. They are alot farther from the magma then what it looks like. One of the frames on the right showed a huge drop between the guy and the magma.