PDA

View Full Version : How long a wait after illness?

PlatypusMan
09-11-2007, 22:54
Just came off of an upper respiratory infection that sidelined me all weekend and still has a 'bit' more to go before it's gone completely.

:smiley13: Got me wondering: How long should you wait after clearing a cold, flu, whatever respiratory infection you had before going diving again?

What indicators do you look for to enable/preclude diving?

quarrydiver
09-11-2007, 23:03
I try to give a couple days cushion to make sure everything is out of the lungs but I know of divers with light symptoms that dive. I avoid diving with congestion, I've heard you can get air trapped causing blocks.

picxie
09-12-2007, 02:54
I was a bit naughty last year. I had a trip to Aussie planned with several days diving planned the day after I landed. It had all been planned and booked for months. Then I got sick, chest infection and nasty flu. I went straight to the Dr's and was put on antibiotics. My antibiotic course finished the day I flew out/the day after I arrived (one of the two!!). I was so upset that week as I thought I'd have to cancel all the diving, but I felt well enough the day I flew out so left the bookings. I had a bit of a sniffle but my chesty cough was gone. I really should have played it safe and cancelled the diving but I had been looking forward to it for months and months. I know it's not really an excuse though.

Local diving, I wouldn't even think twice - I'll stay at home until I'm completely well again.

picxie
09-12-2007, 02:55
Oh, I will say too that the Dr knew that I had a bunch of diving planned and he did tell me that I should have been fine by the time I went on my trip.

CompuDude
09-12-2007, 03:25
For me, as long as my lungs and sinuses are clear, and I don't feel weak and sickly, I'm good to go.

deepdiver47
09-12-2007, 06:56
I have been in this situation before where it was borderline. What happened to me was I was overseas going to Yap and I found that once I got to the island that adrenaline took over in a big way. I found that it actually accelerated my recourperation. (I was on the tail end of my sickness) Not sure how scientific this is but it did work for me.

gtjason2000
09-12-2007, 07:26
If you go to a doctor and tell them you need to dive they will give you the real medicine and lots of it to get rid of the cold fast.

quarrydiver
09-12-2007, 09:14
A doctor can probably tell you if there's anything deep in your lungs to worry about.

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 09:56
As long as your chest is completely clear of ANY congestion you should be good to go....and I agree with QuarryDiver...ask the doc...

Liv7301
09-12-2007, 19:52
I have had problems with chronic sinus infections for several years now. In college if I was even in shouting distance of developing or getting rid of an infection I could go in the pool...even just a few feet under water the pressure on my sinus cavities was intense.

Now I have a magnificent allergist that I see who knows that I dive and has helped me so much. As long as my sinuses are basically clear I am good to go. Diving always works things loose though and when I surface I usually have to blow or clean my nose in the water. I haven't had a sinus infection since April, which for me is monumental.

cummings66
09-13-2007, 16:42
For myself if I can clear then I'll dive. The key thing is that I'm not coughing frequently and have no headaches or other physical after effects.

I don't believe in having a doctor tell me I'm good to go, I do believe in them to get me well, but just as I can tell if I need to visit a doctor again because I'm still sick I can tell if I can dive.

A person knows if they're sick or not, if you're not then dive.