PDA

View Full Version : US Overworked

Straegen
10-13-2010, 19:35
I need to move to France:

According to the ILO, “Americans work 137 more hours per year than Japanese workers, 260 more hours per year than British workers, and 499 more hours per year than French workers.”

The U.S. is the Most Overworked Nation in the World (http://20somethingfinance.com/american-hours-worked-productivity-vacation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+20somethingfinancecom+(20Someth ingFinance.com))

navyhmc
10-13-2010, 20:17
Wow! If you think about it, the average work week in the US is 40 hours. Add 1 extra shift per week, but less an average of 9 paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation, you're at about 2340 hours of work. The French work around 1841 hours per year? How do they get anything substancial done?

I'm at around a full years work right now and have at least 600 scheduled hours left to go this year.

scubastud
10-13-2010, 20:37
I hear the most underpaid, overworked place is a little village named Anatevka in Russia.

navyhmc
10-13-2010, 21:28
I hear the most underpaid, overworked place is a little village named Anatevka in Russia.

Because?

Anatevka is a fictional "shtetl", or small Jewish town, in what what once known as the "Pale of Settlement", an area of Imperial Russia (http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/352953#) where Jews were allowed to set up restricted, but permanent, settlements

Rileybri
10-13-2010, 21:47
Wow! If you think about it, the average work week in the US is 40 hours. Add 1 extra shift per week, but less an average of 9 paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation, you're at about 2340 hours of work. The French work around 1841 hours per year? How do they get anything substancial done?

I'm at around a full years work right now and have at least 600 scheduled hours left to go this year.

when was the last time you heard of the french getting anything significant done?

scubagirlj
10-13-2010, 21:57
when was the last time you heard of the french getting anything significant done?
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

navyhmc
10-13-2010, 22:10

Touche!!!!

Flatliner
10-13-2010, 22:14
France, because even a moral compas needs a butt end...

cgvmer
10-14-2010, 06:13
So in France I would get approx 10 more weeks off. I don't think I could afford that

navyhmc
10-14-2010, 06:54
So in France I would get approx 10 more weeks off. I don't think I could afford that

I could if it 's a paid vacation....Think about it: 10 more weeks to dive!

Straegen
10-14-2010, 09:04
It is paid vacation, they do have the best healthcare in the world, France actually has quite a collection of very good companies and they round out the top five in financial assets. Cost of living is medium to high and the isn't great so I am still looking.

awap
10-14-2010, 10:30
The French work around 1841 hours per year? How do they get anything substancial done?

Grapes pretty much ferment all on their own. What else do the french have to do???

Lulubelle
10-14-2010, 10:47
It is paid vacation, they do have the best healthcare in the world, France actually has quite a collection of very good companies and they round out the top five in financial assets. Cost of living is medium to high and the isn't great so I am still looking.

Agreed, but they also have a very very low GDP. In exchange for their big vacation packages, they have far lower salaries than we do. I have a lot of Euro friends, and when they get to whining about the salary disparity versus similar jobs in the US, I remind them what our vacation packages look like. Personally, I'd trade my salary in a minute for a more liveable lifestyle. We are running people into the ground here. When we do that, people become very expensive to care for.

The French healthcare system is fantastic, community based, uses roving doctors who keep far more people out of hospitals than we do, etc. They are far less likely to die from common diseases than we are, are healthier overall, AND THEY SPEND LESS.

TJDiver
10-14-2010, 10:52
I heard the numbers on France are skewed...what with the end of the cold war and all that, they cut back drastically on hours at their white flag factory. :smilie39:

brojack17
10-14-2010, 11:13
I heard the numbers on France are skewed...what with the end of the cold war and all that, they cut back drastically on hours at their white flag factory. :smilie39:

Love it

brojack17
10-14-2010, 11:21
Personally, I'd trade my salary in a minute for a more liveable lifestyle.

Yeah, but... and this is just my opinion. I would rather work the way I do and have more money to enjoy the time off I have. I have a family of 6, mortgage, two car payments, child support, two of us are divers and two more will get certified next year. We couldn't have the lifestyle we have now if I made any less.

maddhadder
10-14-2010, 11:34
YouTube - Willie teaching french (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJAw-fuYHk)

Had to add one of my favorite Simpsons moments, you have to jump at the opportunity when it presents itself.

Straegen
10-14-2010, 12:55
Yeah, but... and this is just my opinion. I would rather work the way I do and have more money to enjoy the time off I have. I have a family of 6, mortgage, two car payments, child support, two of us are divers and two more will get certified next year. We couldn't have the lifestyle we have now if I made any less.

I think in countries like France people have plenty of money to enjoy time off. I think the trade off they make is they don't owe as much nor buy as much stuff. Americans work hard but spend a lot of money on toys and financing.

alpha
10-14-2010, 13:19
Personally, I'd trade my salary in a minute for a more liveable lifestyle. We are running people into the ground here.

The French healthcare system is fantastic, community based, uses roving doctors who keep far more people out of hospitals than we do, etc. They are far less likely to die from common diseases than we are,

-----Concerning odds of death and a more livable lifestyle; It appears from numerous news reports that you will have a much higher odds of death from being stoned "Honor Killing" if living in France vs. U.S. presently.
One cited artice from Dr. Rene Menguy is listed next: Muslims are different : Medicine Globally by Dr. Rene Menguy : Naples Blogs : Naples Daily News: Local Naples, Florida News Delivered Throughout the Day. (http://www.naplesnews.com/blogs/medicine-globally-dr-rene-menguy/2010/aug/24/religion/) "
"They believe Sharia is a perfect and unchanging reflection of God's will for humankind. It’s more than a religion; it’s a way of life. We’ve already had one instance of an “honor killing”. How will Americans react upon seeing, on the evening news, images of a woman stoned to death for having succumbed to love?"

-----Be careful swingers when visiting abroad...

THE ISLAMIZATION OF FRANCE. : Medicine Globally by Dr. Rene Menguy : Naples Blogs : Naples Daily News: Local Naples, Florida News Delivered Throughout the Day. (http://www.naplesnews.com/blogs/medicine-globally-dr-rene-menguy/2010/oct/14/islam/) French demographers have estimated that, short of some unforeseen event impacting the inexorable, Muslims will become 25% of the French population by 2025; by all accounts a point of no return that could see them in control of the fifth world power.

Is the Muslim Invasion of America Endangering Ourt Way of Life? : Medicine Globally by Dr. Rene Menguy : Naples Blogs : Naples Daily News: Local Naples, Florida News Delivered Throughout the Day. (http://www.naplesnews.com/blogs/medicine-globally-dr-rene-menguy/2010/oct/05/immigration/)

-----I do like to drink my wine antioxidant concoction. But, I'll stay in the U.S. while drinking it for my health.

Lulubelle
10-14-2010, 15:13
I think in countries like France people have plenty of money to enjoy time off. I think the trade off they make is they don't owe as much nor buy as much stuff. Americans work hard but spend a lot of money on toys and financing.

I agree. They have smaller homes, more efficient vehicles, less but better stuff, spend more on food because they eat good food, and travel much more simply than we do because they have so much time off and have to spread it around. I'd still trade.

cam
10-21-2010, 11:35

Good call!

Tevya: I have five daughters.
Perchik: Five?
Tevya: DAUGHTERS.

divingmedic
10-21-2010, 12:18
But of course they have cradle to grave entitlements. They constantly suckle at the teat of mother government. Have you noticed the riots over there? America is just a few years away from this. And you favor this?

inventor
10-21-2010, 12:38
The reason riots are always going on in France, is simple. If the french are rioting, they have no one to surrender to.

John Yaskowich
10-22-2010, 08:19
An interesting observation from last night's CSI (I know, not the most reliable source, but...):
"In 1960 there were no public self-storage warehouses in America. Now there are over 2 billion sq ft."

In round numbers, that is a lane 10 feet wide and 38,000 MILES long!
This would be in addition to all the basements, attics, backyard sheds, etc. where people stash stuff.

want2Bdivin
10-22-2010, 09:26
But of course they have cradle to grave entitlements. They constantly suckle at the teat of mother government. Have you noticed the riots over there? America is just a few years away from this. And you favor this?

What, what, what? You mean it isn't free? France doesn't just go to the IMF or the UN and withdraw enough to spread around to all citizens? How does that work then? Who gets to pay for all of that "free" vacation? Please tell me.

Travelnsj
10-22-2010, 10:17
Well if I have to go and get a job.....I'll be overworked!

Rileybri
10-22-2010, 10:21
Good call!

Tevya: I have five daughters.
Perchik: Five?
Tevya: DAUGHTERS.

wow I never thought I would see a Fiddler on the Roof reference on this forum. Sour on the JDWU forums but not hear......... Well played sir well played indeed!

scubastud
10-24-2010, 08:52
Not to split hairs but I brought up Fiddler ... :smiley2:

Straegen
10-24-2010, 22:44

I think their riots are generally youth based and often about social or political issues. In this country, our youth are either ambivalent or have given up and end up in gangs or similar franchises such as jail. I suppose I would argue that it is better they care even with the acting out which is what most of the riots are. Rioting is more of a social past time in many parts of Europe... one only needs to catch a cantankerous football match to understand it.

Now if someone wants to point out they live high on the hog due to our security umbrella... that I would find to be a solid argument. A country can do a lot with a small military, but they risk invasion unless they join with a stronger military nation.

alpha
10-24-2010, 23:33
YouTube - Stakelbeck on Terror: From Paris, with Sharia - CBN.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZHCWaWxg4w&feature=related)

Those Paris streets look too crowded for my walking pleasure and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know when I'm suppose to bow down.

I was hoping for a better source on Utube to quickly pull, but video is video for evidence of change on the streets of Paris.

YouTube - France burqa row continues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPif4eDqbsU&feature=related)
YouTube - French cabinet approves burqa ban law (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQxN3LAsusA&feature=fvw)

I see a lot of differences of opinions and would not like to be in the middle.

cam
10-25-2010, 11:15
Not to split hairs but I brought up Fiddler ... :smiley2:

No slight intended, though I think I quoted your Fiddler post in my first reply.

divingmedic
10-25-2010, 12:00
I think their riots are generally youth based and often about social or political issues. In this country, our youth are either ambivalent or have given up and end up in gangs or similar franchises such as jail. I suppose I would argue that it is better they care even with the acting out which is what most of the riots are. Rioting is more of a social past time in many parts of Europe... one only needs to catch a cantankerous football match to understand it.

Now if someone wants to point out they live high on the hog due to our security umbrella... that I would find to be a solid argument. A country can do a lot with a small military, but they risk invasion unless they join with a stronger military nation.

I guess you have not been paying attention then. The latest round of riots there are from raising the retirement age from age 60 to (gasp) 62. People of all ages are rioting over there.

Straegen
10-25-2010, 13:47
I think the older groups protest but the younger ones end up sparking into the riots. As I mentioned earlier I think this behavior is a societal norm in a sense. If and when they raise the retirement age from 65 to 70 a bunch of people will be mad but it will likely go down without much of a fight.

bigman241
10-25-2010, 14:02
and their rioting over wage cuts and the retirement age going up

divingmedic
10-25-2010, 15:20
I think the older groups protest but the younger ones end up sparking into the riots. As I mentioned earlier I think this behavior is a societal norm in a sense. If and when they raise the retirement age from 65 to 70 a bunch of people will be mad but it will likely go down without much of a fight.

No they are rioting because they are seeing their cradle to grave entitlements going away. Just like in Greece.

Straegen
10-25-2010, 16:19
No they are rioting because they are seeing their cradle to grave entitlements going away. Just like in Greece.They are having to make economic decisions and part of the population doesn't like it. It really is that simple. The rioting portion comes from a long history of this behavior more so than the reasons behind it. They riot over football games, some boys dieing in a bizarre accident, retirement age, maximum weekly hours, etc. It is how their society challenges authority and expresses civil unrest. Better than us who just borrow more money or ignore the problem and tag it to future generations IMO.

That said we have our fair share of riots which in some cases turn out far worse. We also have home grown terrorists who bomb abortion clinics, crazies who blow up federal buildings to make a point, etc. Anyway, every country has their problems and I am glad to see their youth engaged in politics despite the rioting given the alternative is an entire generation of youth who could care less.

As for "cradle to grave entitlements" or "nanny state" slogans often applied by right wing political groups, different societies have different belief systems and those are always in conflict with the reality of paying for them. When times are good, they invested in their people. Now that we are all on a decline of sorts, they have to make adjustments to those plans. For us it will be Military spending.

divingmedic
10-25-2010, 18:49
They are having to make economic decisions and part of the population doesn't like it. It really is that simple. The rioting portion comes from a long history of this behavior more so than the reasons behind it. They riot over football games, some boys dieing in a bizarre accident, retirement age, maximum weekly hours, etc. It is how their society challenges authority and expresses civil unrest. Better than us who just borrow more money or ignore the problem and tag it to future generations IMO.

That said we have our fair share of riots which in some cases turn out far worse. We also have home grown terrorists who bomb abortion clinics, crazies who blow up federal buildings to make a point, etc. Anyway, every country has their problems and I am glad to see their youth engaged in politics despite the rioting given the alternative is an entire generation of youth who could care less.

As for "cradle to grave entitlements" or "nanny state" slogans often applied by right wing political groups, different societies have different belief systems and those are always in conflict with the reality of paying for them. When times are good, they invested in their people. Now that we are all on a decline of sorts, they have to make adjustments to those plans. For us it will be Military spending.

Yeah the destruction of private property is always good for your cause. That really endears someone to your cause. SO you do not think that many of the European countries have not been socialized democracies and now seeing the error of their ways>

Straegen
10-25-2010, 19:51
Unlike here? Government bureaucracies are what bring down most economic systems outside of war. The reason why countries like Greece, Germany, etc struggle sooner than we do is because they have more of them due to more social programs. Rest assured though we are not far behind. Corporate greed and an ever growing government will get us all in the end and oddly enough we will fall at a much faster rate than France is/was/will. Military Republics aren't any more feasible IMO.

divingmedic
10-25-2010, 20:13
Unlike here? Government bureaucracies are what bring down most economic systems outside of war. The reason why countries like Greece, Germany, etc struggle sooner than we do is because they have more of them due to more social programs. Rest assured though we are not far behind. Corporate greed and an ever growing government will get us all in the end and oddly enough we will fall at a much faster rate than France is/was/will. Military Republics aren't any more feasible IMO.

Corporate greed? DO you not own stocks, IRA, 401K, Pension plan? Those companies that issue stocks that everyone invests and provides for them later in life is funded by their profits. Companies should be limited to a certain amount of profit?