PDA

View Full Version : Diving for Science.....check

Scout
10-26-2010, 11:11
My family and I just took the Diving for Science weekend course at "San Marcos Springs" (they don't like it called Aquarena Springs any more). Eric, Ron and Ralph did a great job sharing the ecological value of the area and our responsibility to protect it.

There's a handful of tests to pass, but they're not terribly challenging if you pay attention and read the notes. The bouyancy test was difficult for a few people, though, because of the shallowness of the water.

Diving Spring Lake is a treat! Fresh water with 50-70' vis is unbelievable. My women-folk wore 7mm suits and STILL got chilled in the 70* liquid. I wore a 5mm and was fine.

I can't wait to get back down there to do some service in the lake and have some fun! :smiley20:

ReefHound
10-26-2010, 12:46
It is the best visibility in Texas, in my opinion. I took the course years ago with a CHUM group and we are forming another group for this November.

cowgirldiver
11-15-2010, 17:52
I took the course a few years ago-that's where my avatar is from-but because I'm not from the area, I've never gotten to go back and wear a banana suit. Glad to hear that Ralph is still there-he was stern which made you pay attention and then really lightened up on the second day when we got to do our free dive. I always remember his name as it was the same as the diving pig.

Aquatrax
11-15-2010, 18:49
Go dry and forget the banana suit. Love diving Spring Lake

scuba58
02-07-2011, 07:10
Dry suit for 70deg water?