PDA

View Full Version : Training Question

Zyxistal
09-12-2007, 17:33
Ok I'll admit that I'm a NOOB when it comes to diving and as such this will be a very NOOB question but if you don't ask you don't learn so here goes.

I'm currently working on my PADI OW certification (waiting to get a clear weekend to get my checkout dives done, every time I try something comes up at work) my wife however got her training through NAUI. One of the things I was told by my instructor was that because there isn't a 'set' training plan that certain agencies teach different techniques when it comes to diving 'skills'.
My question is, is there that much of a difference in training that it could ever cause a problem.
Thanks for the info.

finflippers
09-12-2007, 17:41
They all teach you the stuff that you need to know to dive safely. The agency that you use isn't as important as the instructor that is teaching you.

ertechsg
09-12-2007, 17:44
They are all about the same clear mask ..recov reg.. weight ditch ect so not to much differant

ScubaToys Larry
09-12-2007, 17:55
I've been an instructor for both agencies, and the only real difference in the classes at the open water level, is through Naui, you do more rescue training in the open water. Bringing an unconscious diver to the surface and starting rescue breathing, bringing up a snorkeler that suffered shallow water black out... while in Padi, you just do a tired diver tow.

There is also more academic stuff in the Naui class. Might be fun to crack the books side by side and compare.

But over all, the Naui guys have not learned any tricky ways to clear a mask that the Padi guys haven't heard about, and the Padi guys don't know an extra way to inflate a BC that Naui is clueless about.

So relax in the water... come up slow... and don't hold your breath!

mm_dm
09-12-2007, 19:26
The dive tables are a little different, you might want to compare and figure out which you both can use. Or, you can just call Larry and get a deal on two computers

cummings66
09-13-2007, 16:45
I had an opportunity to read the instructors manual for Naui, the things they teach OW students have convinced me that if I could get my wife to learn how to swim and then dive, Naui would be my choice of agencies because of the additional stuff taught.

What is taught is the same as far as I can tell, how well they perform the skill is up to the instructor. I feel safe diving with any diver from any agency once they're OW certified.

CompuDude
09-13-2007, 17:46
I feel safe diving with any diver from any agency once they're OW certified.
I certainly wouldn't go that far.

Instructors who crank out students who barely met minimum standards are definitely out there. Students who managed to perform a skill once in front of the instructor, but probably won't be able to do it again if their life depended on it. (Or yours)

Of course, there are lots of great instructors out there in every agency. At the OW level, a good instructor will turn out a good diver no matter which agency's rulebook they're following. And aside from the table issue noted in a post above, both will absolutely have no problems diving with each other (not due to differing agency training standards, at least).

DevilDiver
09-13-2007, 17:54
I heard the PADI people have more hot air to self inflate thier BC's and the NAUI people are more concerned about how their BC's work that inflating them.................

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 18:26
They all teach you the stuff that you need to know to dive safely. The agency that you use isn't as important as the instructor that is teaching you.

more important is the person learning. :smiley2:

ScubaToys Larry
09-13-2007, 18:28
I heard the PADI people have more hot air to self inflate thier BC's and the NAUI people are more concerned about how their BC's work that inflating them.................

Must be a SSI diver! :smiley1:

Bring the Payne
09-14-2007, 15:44
I finished the NAUI OW and AOW a while ago and we did mostly diver rescue, tired diver tow, weight belt stuff, lots of mask clearing and a little navigation. Any good instructor from any agency should give you the basics at least.